Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Merthyr Tydfil, Recommendations please for eating and drinks
  • nickingsley
    Free Member

Off to BPW this weekend with a few friends and would appreciate recommendations on where to eat and bar/pubs for a few drinks on Saturday night.

Good food and beer/atmosphere would be perfect, otherwise I’m going to get my ears bashed!

Staying in the PI so probably taxi/Uber in to town.

Cheers

jkomo

I really like The Winchester, it has some good ales as it’s owned by a local small brewery, has proper locals and is very friendly.
    Sport on big screens though and a bit bright, but a good place to start.
    Always has a great night out in MT, been to a couple of curry houses, both fine after a few beers but nothing special.

droplinked

The pub next door to the premier inn ain’t that bad to be honest. Typical chain pub food, but they had some nice local beers on.

Very short stagger back to the room too.

Ambrose

Yr Pant Cad Ifor has a lot of atmosphere.

jkomo

We went to the Wyndham Arms, mainly because Nadine at BPW told us not to. It was a week night so not particularly busy, again the locals were friendly.

nickingsley
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips, though not convinced Wyndham Arms or Yr Pant Cad Ifor hit the mark!

chestrockwell

We usually just end up in Spoons tbh, it’s not a bad one.

Ambrose

Front Page

Tim Martin is never, ever going to have even a penny of my money. Alternative venues exist!

fathomer

We ate at Scorchinis last year, was really nice.

https://www.scorchinis.com/

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Spoons and the curry house just down the road are usually spot on.

spannermonkey

Richards Arms, Chapel Street, Abercanaid

£3.00 a pint

Job, jobbed

sharkattack

We went to an Indian restaurant in Merthyr Tydfil and the food was great. Then I was so struck by the rustic décor in the toilet that I was inspired to take a picture.

Is it true that you can judge the state of a kitchen by the state of the bogs?

This was in November 2017 so they might have refurbished by now.

nickingsley
    Free Member

^ not so good, but as you say 2017.

Thanks for the additional suggestions.

Is there anywhere with a bit of a club feel, ie flashy lights, expensive drinks and you can’t hear your mate speak?

Asking for a friend 🙉

halifaxpete

Always enjoyed the curries at Red Spice, been a few times and hits the spot nicely.

igm

Sat in the MT Premier having breakfast (yes I know it’s better at the BPW cafe) – I don’t think there’s anyone in here that isn’t heading for BPW. And it’s absolutely full.

MoreCashThanDash

Just posting an interest as apparently MrsMC has booked us an overnight near Merthyr in the summer. For reasons I have yet to understand other than “we’ve never been round there”.

slowol

As well as BPW there is some amazing countryside just outside Merthyr such as this well known walk:

Four Waterfalls Walk + Others In The Brecon Beacons (Bannau Brycheiniog)

Also the first place that a red flag was raised by workers. Landed gentry beware…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merthyr_Rising

nickingsley
    Free Member

Ha,

No Ubers working in MT this eve 🙁

nickingsley
    Free Member

Scorching, closed. 🙁

nickingsley
    Free Member

Scorchino’s!

nickingsley
    Free Member

So JDW or pub next to PI 🤷‍♂️

nickingsley
    Free Member

@slowol coming back with the good lady to do this 👍

lapierrelady

We ate at Casa Biancas last year and it was very excellent. The decor is also bonkers!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.