Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Memory Map Vs. Viewranger
  • palmer77
    Free Member

In a fight, who would win? On a serious note which should I get for 1:25000 coverage of Snowdonia on an iPhone?

br
    Free Member

I just setup the free MemoryMap onto my wife’s iPhone and downloaded the ‘free’ map (for her its the Chilterns where she goes hacking).

Very impressed with it.

palmer77
    Free Member

Hey, can you select which area to download? I have installed the app but cannot see how to locate specific maps. Thanks

nickjb
    Free Member

I’m a fan of viewranger. Interface is very nice as there’s loads of extra features and they keep bringing new things out. I use the nokia version which has a few more features but i expect the iPhone and Android versions will catch up (and overtake) very soon. The support is second to none, you get a real person answering emails pretty much immediately any time of day. If you haven’t installed it yet I can send you a referral which will get you some free maps, email in profile.

br
    Free Member

On the iPhone/MM you get a 1:250 scale ‘atlas’, just place it where you want to have the 1:25 and ‘activate’.

palmer77
    Free Member

If you get the iPhone App for either will it automatically be able to be used for no additional cost for the iPad?

CountZero

I had MM for a while, but went over to Viewranger as soon as the app appeared, because I already had all the maps on a DVD from when I had an N95. Personally I prefer Viewranger, and it’s very easy to add 1:25k maps to my existing 1:50k maps. I’ve recently seen a post rating Viewranger above MM for usability, but my experience of MM is very limited. I would also recommend Phil Endacott’s UK Map app; you can’t record tracks with it, but it uses the free 1:25/1:10k OS maps and is very detailed. Nice maps.

superfli
    Free Member

Not used MM, so cant comment on that, but have been using viewranger for sometime and its awesome, cant find a fault with it.

Doug
    Free Member

Can you use the MM maps you have on your PC on the iPhone app?

palmer77
    Free Member

I had a look at the UK Maps app and it looks very good, especially the 1:10000 scale. I can’t figure out if you can view the national park areas in 1:25000 or not. Essentially I want this scale for Snowdonia and am trying to find the cheapest way to get it instead of the £100 with Memory Map and £40 Viewranger

Drac

I use viewranger and it’s an excellent app, the cost of the maps is also very fair. They’re a little slow in brining it in line with the nokia version but it’s getting there.

palmer77
    Free Member

Hey,

I went for Viewranger in the end. App seems good and you can get both an UK overview and road map free. I just bought the 1:25000 scale maps in blocks for the areas I wanted. They have also got 4 free routes available for download between now and 2nd May ( http://www.viewranger.com/product-overview/maps-routes/free-routes-promotion) plus if you register with My Viewranger you can create your own routes on the site using GPX and then download them to your device. So far it also seems that anything I have on my iPhone I can also have on my iPad at no extra cost.

ditch_jockey

Can you use the MM maps you have on your PC on the iPhone app?

I’m doing it at the moment, although my maps were all ‘hacked’ years back to get round the OS’ silly restriction on not using them with newer versions of the MM software.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Memory Map Vs. Viewranger’ is closed to new replies.