Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Memory Map 3D and elevation data
  • Solo
    Free Member

Hi.

I've MM 5.1.3 and I am not able to run the 3D feature on my PC. I'm getting an error message related to graphics, with recommendations regarding DirectX, etc. [Error 567]. I've max'd my hardware acceleration but to no avail.

Also, on my PPC which is a Windows mobile phone WM6.1, I note that the tracks I generate while out on my bike, do not contain any elevation data.

So, firstly, any tips on the 3D issue, would be much appreicated, along with any answers to the following:

Does the elevation data only apply to the 1:50K maps ?, or does it work with the 1:25K maps also.

It seems that I can only open 1:25K maps on my PPC, does anyone else have the same limitations.

Any direct answers for how I can get my PPC to record elevation data in with my tracks would be gratefuly received.

Cheers.

🙂

Solo.

Trimix
    Free Member

Try ringing their help line – they are quite helpfull and speak english properly.

Solo
    Free Member

Trimix.

Thanks for that, however, I had already considered that option, before posting…

🙂

Solo.

Drac

Download the latest direct X and drivers for you video card.

Solo
    Free Member

Drac.

Thanks for that.., but how do I do that, exactly.

I run Windows XP Pro

Sorry.

Solo.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Solo, I could never get the 3D and elevation to work properly.

I've been using http://www.bikehike.co.uk/ recently to record routes, which also simultaneously generates an elevation profile. Very neat.

Drac

Direct X from here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en

Would need to know which video card you have to point you in the direction of drivers.

Solo
    Free Member

Drac.

Thanks for that.

I have just finished downloading/installing that file (I think), but I am now worried that I may have done something wrong IF, you're asking what specific card I have, as the download didn't make referrence to particular video cards, etc.

However, my Card is:

GeForce 8400M GS

Very grateful for your advise.

🙂

Solo.

Drac

You misunderstood, direct X is not the drivers it's GFX software that most programmes use sou your fine.

For your drivers go here and use the drop dowm menus to select you card and operating system.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk

Solo
    Free Member

Drac.

Thank you very much, kind of you to assist.

I'm looking now at this stuff, but as is sometimes the case, one link leads to another and while there are downloads all over the place, I shall have to be careful when selecting what I install.

I've a Dell M1330, however, I had to remove Vista and install XP….which means I've used a load of Dell drivers although they may not have been exactly posted for my machine. My computer runs well, but I' noticed recently that I'm not getting elevation data displayed, which lead me to looking into the 3D thing too.

So I've got to be cautious about where I go next, wouldn't want to load a driver onto my computer, which is expecting to find vista on it…

Much appreciated.
    😀

Solo

robinbetts
    Free Member

I originally had the National Parks 1:50,000 that had all the elevation data, but when I bought a 1:25,000 top up the elevation data was missing. I contacted support and they sent me this link:

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/downloads/DMS/dms_gb_os50x.qed

Download it and put it in the same folder as the 1:25,000 map data.

You might need to select the file from Map menu > Elevation Data…

robinbetts
    Free Member

I also just updated the software from 5.1.3 to 5.3.2 to get the Digital Map Shop bit, so I could actually get the top ups. You can download it from the website, but you have to uninstall the current version first.

Solo
    Free Member

Ok.

Having had a play around, I've noticed that the .qed files I have seem to allow the elevation window on my computer, to now appear and show the data. Great !.

I've put the handfull of .qed files I have, in the same folder and my maps.
    Then I just select:
    Map
    Elevation data

and then select a .qed file

Now, I'm getting the elevation data on my PC whether I'm looking at a 1:50K or a 1:25K map, yippee.

Now I'm going to try a similar thing on my PPC.

Also, noted that on an older machine of mine, MM 3D works fine, so the software is good, its just a graphics thing, that Drac has been kindly helping me with.

So, it would seem that the MM .qed files are part of the solution.

Right, I'm now going to see if I can get the elevation thing to work on my PPC. 😉

Solo.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I had a problem with elevations not working. Turned out to be a numpty error on my part. I'd modified the names of some of the map files, ignorant of the fact that the associated elevation data file must have exactly the same name (apart from the file extension obviously).
    Easily rectified by renaming one or t'other.

Sounds unrelated to be honest, but maybe worth checking.

Drac

So I've got to be cautious about where I go next, wouldn't want to load a driver onto my computer, which is expecting to find vista on it..

The Nvidia drivers will be fine there's loads of manufacturers for nvdidia cards but they all use the same chip.

Solo
    Free Member

Ecky-Thump.

Thanks for your post.

I'm using a merged map, I've joined several 1:25K maps to make a larger map and saved it with a name that I will recognise. This doesn't seem to have stopped me getting the elevation profile to display on my PC.

However, I have to watch how large I make my merged maps as I've noticed that if I want to use any of my merged maps on my windows phone (windows 6.1), WM6.1 won't open a map larger than around 250Mb… 🙄

So on my PC I've got my merged 1:25K map open, I've selected a .qed file and now I get the elevation data displayed.

However, on my windows mobile phone I've put the .qed files on it, but when I open MM and select a track, it still doesn't display any elevation info. Speed profile is OK, just not getting the elevation profile.

Solo.

Solo
    Free Member

Think I've cracked part of it.

I've copy pasted a .qed file onto the storage card of my Windows Mobile.

Then I sent my merged and renamed 1:25K map (Solo's map of X), via Memory Map/activesync on my PC, to the phone.

Opened MM, selected the newly uploaded map, then dug out last nights track and displayed it on the map. Then selected elevation profile, and hey-presto, I've got the profile displayed on the phone.

Quite chuffed with that. 😀

Only thing left to do now is try to sort out the 3d thing on the PC.

My thanks to all for your particiaption. I've learnt something and this may be useful to others.

Drac, you and a Star 😉

I will post if/when I have success with the 3D PC feature.

Cheers.

😀

Solo.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Memory Map 3D and elevation data’ is closed to new replies.