Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 265 total)
  • Megavalanche cheat
  • bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

Years ago everyone raved about the Mega and lots of encouragement to do it. One of those bucket list things every MTB rider should do. Saw the videos and while a bit crazy it looked like something I could maybe survive with bike and bones intact. Thought I may give it a go some day, but for laugh purposes, not competitively (I’d finish last anyway probably).

Now it’s got so big, egos so big, so competitive, and everyone’s prepared to take a lot of risks, deliberately crash into others to get the best line, cheat, etc. It doesn’t look attractive to me any more and I think my chances of surviving without injury to self or ride over bike breakage is slim. I’m not aggressive enough to barge my way through and get out of danger so I’m likely to get the shit kicked out of me or run over.

So you’ve not done it but are assuming that it’s changed? 🙄

I did it last year – crashed/mechanicals in qualifying so ended up in the Saturday race with the ‘mid pack warriors’ as someone put it and it was one of the best races i’ve ever done. Contrary to popular belief on internet forums most people are out to have a good time and ride a bike down a mountain which makes for a pretty good atmosphere. I would encourage anyone to do it and I will definitely be back, hopefully with a decent position on the main race.

legend
    Free Member

dangeourbrain – Member

Is the mega actually a serious race then or just (as I’d assumed) a mountain bike sportive that some people forget is really just for fun?

Cant be, no cake stalls on the way down

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

no cake stalls on the way down

Why in the name of all that is holy would you enter?

deadkenny
    Free Member

bloodsexmagik – Member 
    So you’ve not done it but are assuming that it’s changed? 🙄

No need for the roll-eyes. I’m going by reports from many friends who are saying the same thing and everything I’ve seen. It’s been enough to put me off.

If it’s no different to when it started then fine. I stand corrected.

JEngledow
    Free Member
    stevied
    Free Member

Not named him though 🙄

jamesoz

In 5 years I’ve not seen anybody crash into or take anybody out deliberately, seen plenty of rubbish riding and awesome riding.

Have lined up alongside some great riders, met some great people and had a lot of fun.

For under £200,
    A weeks lift assisted riding, effectively 2 races of which the qualifying is my favourite bit. Brilliant atmosphere. Even my GF who isn’t much into bikes likes the event.

There are some downsides but nothing’s perfect. True to do well aggression is required like any race.

I also cheated as I had push assistance up a climb from Mr Bryceland I believe.

Dark-Side

[/quote]“Speaking to the rider on Monday, he told us he had been nudged down a bank off the side of the singletrack by another rider and felt terrible when he realised where he was. He claimed he hated seeing French lines at the EWS, and that he had probably only gained 15 places”.

Read more at https://dirtmountainbike.com/videos/rider-1613-disqualified-footage-emerges-megavalanche-french-line.html#AHZUVPk5LcYiFpo6.99

😀

I;ve done the Mega twice now, if you count the second time I came off the mountain on a stretcher. I’d say the final is my least favourite part of the week, I really enjoy practising the courses, quali’s and the general atmosphere and social aspect of a load of mountain bikers on the side of a big hill together. I don’t think you can understand the draw unless you’ve done it. I spent the weekend at Fort William for the Endurance Downhill and throughout just wished I was at AdH.

twistedpencil

Was Ratboy in the nip? I was was goosed on that climb but heard the 50:01 lads were gallivanting about in the buff…

It’s a great laugh, I’ve had a whale of a time the last two years I’ve ridden it.

Main issue with the main race this year was the lack of the glacier start to thin the pack out. Normally the race spreads quite nicely and you find your natural place in the grand scheme of things. I haven’t seen any aggression beyond people jostling for racing lines, most of the time your having a laugh with the riders around you.

Wookster

He’s been DQ’ed according to Dirt! This explains why the posts disappeared too!!

He’s been caught out telling porkies too!!

Dirt link

Speaking to the rider on Monday, he told us he had been nudged down a bank off the side of the singletrack by another rider and felt terrible when he realised where he was. He claimed he hated seeing French lines at the EWS and that he had probably only gained 15 places.

“Fair enough”, we thought – young kid, probably got caught up in the standard Megavalanche carnage and did what he had to to keep his race going. It’s not worth getting him in trouble for a few page views, Ben Deakin clearly thought the same and the video has pretty much gone from the internet.

This morning, a new video has emerged. Friend of the mag Aidan Bishop posted up his view of the race that shows the incident from behind. We’ve slowed down the moment in question below and you can clearly see the rider chooses to hop the tape while being given racing room by the rest of the pack.

Read more at https://dirtmountainbike.com/videos/rider-1613-disqualified-footage-emerges-megavalanche-french-line.html#yAT1b2pHPEB1UjUM.99

Stevet1
    Free Member

is ‘French line’ an actual thing then? thought it was made up just for humorous purposes on this thread.

poah
    Free Member

French Line is similar to a Brazilian except there is no shaving

ehrob

Cheating is bad. DQed, move on.

Lying about your reasons for cheating, which is then uncovered by video evidence, is a lot worse. Shame on him.

convert

I didn’t realise the Bryceland was in it. And came 64th (65th before the DQ) now I’ve gone back to the original finisher list. I know MA is a very different sport to WCDH but that still surprises me. Either he was not really competing but had a picnic blanket with him for a mid run sarnie or it is even more of a lottery than I thought. Was there a backstory as to why he (and Sam hill) were so far from the point end?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Bad qualifying I think.

jamesoz

Bryceland punctured in qualification, so as a protected rider he automatically gets to race from Row D I believe.
    I don’t think he finished his Qually run so technically I beat him 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Sam Hill had a flat in quali too, hence being four rows back with Ratboy in the main event. Even the best riders in the world can’t teleport through other people.

That Dirt article makes interesting reading, the lad’s not done himself any favours since the offence by the sounds of it.

aracer
    Free Member

He’s in a whole world more shit now by lying.

I can’t understand the mentality of lying like that – sure in the heat of the moment it might be easy to forget you’re surrounded by lots of people with GoPros, but when coming up with excuses afterwards how stupid do you have to be not to realise there is other incriminating footage? I’m betting there are at least another half dozen videos in existence, some showing the incident even more clearly.

edit: having checked the latest footage I’d be interested to see the footage of Jean Marc Picard (number 6) who is right behind him when he turns off and clearly has a camera.

dannyh
    Free Member

Isn’t this all a bit…….

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9MLc0udf_74[/video]

It’s only a bike race, and a fairly ‘novel’ one at that.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

He’s in a whole world more shit now by lying

Engage full drama queen mode.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Pack of lies after cheating?, Dial-a-mob on standby

Respect to Dirt and Deakin for their initial compassion towards him, but the guy just doesn’t know at what point to stop his stupidity.

eddie11
    Free Member

bryceland just looked to be there for the party and Sam Hill just for the sponsors.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

From the Mega facebook feed:

imnotverygood

I’m still a bit perplexed why Dirt mag is not naming him. You can argue the toss about whether or not it matters or if there is an Internet lynch mob, but he has been DQ’d. What is the justification for keeping him anonymous..

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Dirt probably just showing some business respect to Focus until Focus officially make a decision on their guy. Not their(Dirt) fault, just understandable business nouse.

Speeder

Maybe they know him and like him and think this is all a bit much considering he only scored 27th place. If he was on the podium I could see the point but this setting the mob on him is a bit much and he does seem to have reacted badly like a young guy easily might without the right direction.

Isn’t everybody being told to not be afraid to make mistakes and learn from them right now?

orangespyderman

Maybe they know him and like him and think this is all a bit much considering he only scored 27th place.

This. Who remembers who got 27th place last year? No-one. And coming 28th or 27th doesnt matter a jot. Not good, tell him that, move on.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Ahem…I’ll leave this here.

FOCUS Bikes13 hours ago
    Sometimes in the heat of the race, failures are made. It was an accident by Joe Connell he instantly regretted. After the race it was clarified and he already apologized for it. It was never his purpose to achieve a better result through cheating. FOCUS doesn’t jettison someone, because of a mistake, he’ll never do again. We’re looking forward to the next races and wish all the best to all riders out there.?[/quote

scottfitz
    Free Member

After the race it was clarified and he already apologized for it.

Did he?

I think he has been punished enough now DQ and media report about it.
    Its good focus are sticking with him. They should tidy up that statement and release it, maybe via the Dirt report

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Excellent statement from focus.

Drama queens, stand down, back to the single ring bullying.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Disappointing.

I was waiting for the transcript from an outraged STW’er to the CEO of Focus Bikes, demanding the instant dismissal of the rider in question and a public flogging.

poah
    Free Member

How can something done on purpose be an accident? That’s a pretty crap statement from focus.

Speeder

Aren’t they German so it’s therefore written by someone who doesn’t articulate English like a native and therefore may get the tone exactly right?

Give em a break.

martinhutch

Reasonable and proportionate response. He deserves the DQ and a load of piss-taking but nothing more.

poah
    Free Member

Speeder – Member
    Aren’t they German so it’s therefore written by someone who doesn’t articulate English like a native and therefore may get the tone exactly right?

Give em a break.

They can probably speak and write better English than me.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Ironically after looking at his Instagram etc I got curious about the bike he’s riding, the Focus Jam 29er. Was never really on my radar before so maybe it’s not all bad for Focus…..

stevied
    Free Member

the Focus Jam 29er

They bunnyhop really, really well 😀

Wookster

Do you think he told Focus the same shite he told Dirt!?!?! 😆 bless him he’s having a shocker!! 😆

chakaping
    Free Member

They probably mean he’s apologised to them.

Anyway, justice has been done now, and long after everyone’s forgotten who came 27th in this year’s mega people will still be joking about “taking the Joe Connell line”.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

They probably mean he’s apologised to them.

What? he never apologised to STW? ridiculous…. 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 265 total)

The topic ‘Megavalanche cheat’ is closed to new replies.