Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Medical advice needed- can I take my stitches out myself?
  • RudeBoy
    Free Member

Well, I’m sposed to go and have them taken out at the hospital, but seeing as how I’ve already burdened the NHS with my stupidity, I thought I’d save time and Taxpayers’ money, by doing it meself, at home.

I have a sharp, narrow tipped scalpel, and a small Leatherman.

Any reasons why I shoon’t do this at home?

Whip ’em out, bit of Germolene, plaster-sorted.

No?

TimP
    Free Member

yeah do it

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Any doctors out there? Or nurses, actually? DrP? Noteeth?

dalesboyz
    Free Member

do it an if it goes wrong you can blame us lol 😀

TimP
    Free Member

My dad is a doctor – does that count?

grynch
    Free Member

I’m not a doctor.. but I’ve played one…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

COME HERE AND LET ME DO IT. IT WON’T HURT AT ALL!!!!

freeandsingle
    Free Member

if you’re going to do it, make sure the threads are immaculately clean first or they are likely to damage your skin when you pull them through..

flamejob
    Free Member

Yeah.. do it… it kinda tickles.

roper
    Free Member

I have done it twice and my wife took some out I couldn’t reach. It’s not a problem as long as you make sure the cut has healed well and you are very clean. Start at the less deep bits just in case you have miss-judged the healing process. Also make sure you only snip one side of the stitch or you may leave a bit inside.

Good luck

shreck
    Free Member

As long as you dont mind voiding your warrenty

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Napalm. Only thing for it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

were they installed with a rock?

did you bed them in properly?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

As long as you dont mind voiding your warrenty

That was voided long ago, mate!

(Phones army, to inform that Poddy is extremely dangerous, and probbly a terrorist)

I’ve got one out. Was quite easy. T’others might be a tad trickier.

S’actually a little fiddly, using only one hand.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Shit! Hang on! I need alcohol, don’t I?

(Toddles off to see what’s in fridge. Ah! A nice wheaty beer!)

roper
    Free Member

use your teeth?

matt_outandabout

pics?

theflatboy
    Free Member

i had to get my arm stitched up about 2 days before i went on holiday with my friends a few years back. consequently i could not attend their suggested stitch-removal appointment. i explained this to them, and they generously provided me with a scalpel for cutting the stitches and a set of tweezers to remove them, and then explained the procedure. it all went well, had to wiggle a couple to loosen them but generally successful result.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Got another one out. A slight twinge, as I pull at the thread, but they slide out nice and easy, without any pain.

Pics to come. The healing seems to be pretty good, actually.

Nurse, more alcohol…

Where’s WCA when you need him?

ski
    Free Member

Yep, just remember to cut next to the knot and pull at the knot end, not the other way round 😉

Not that I am qualified to give advice:

My Dad stuck a couple of stitches in my head as a kid after clashing heads playing football, he used a bit of cotton and a needle found in the bottom of a sports kit bag.

After a week, I ended up in A&E with infected scabby mess, the doc asked me at the time who has done the stitches, I replied, my Dad. To which the Doc asked if he was a Doctor, no I replied, he digs hole in roads!

The Doc. was speechless! and not too pleased 😉

matt_outandabout

ski – Member

Yep, just remember to cut next to the knot and pull at the knot end, not the other way round [;-)]

What, like the midwife who came to remove my wifes stitches after her caesarian – the ones with a plastic bobble on, so you can cut on stitch, pull the bobble and out they all come? Only the midwife snipped, then tried to pull the bobble through the wound…

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

10 stitches in my head as a kid – pulled 2 out accidentally with a comb. then another 2 or 3 just because i could

and i’m still more or less ok

RudeBoy
    Free Member

All out! Last one was a bit of a bugger, because it was on the side, and tighter than the others.

Piece of piss! TBH, I was dreading actually going to have them taken out, as the person doing so can’t feel your pain, and might pull too hard or something.

So, I’ve saved the NHS money, and gained valuable medical experience. In fact, I’m virtually a doctor now, I’d say. If anyone needs help removing any stitches, I’m yer man. Just get us a few beers.

Just going to go and give it a little clean.

Hmm, ‘Dr. RudeBoy’; s’got a nice ring to it….

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Just wait for the internal swelling to start and watch that lovely wound spurt open!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Not really. It is quite easy to do. Don’t soak them first to soften them up, it make it worse.

I guess this advice is a bit late now but you can remember it for next time.

kevonakona
    Free Member

I did the ones on my eyebromw myself. Rather scary trying to cut the stitche with a scalpel pointed at you own eye. Especially as you start having “what if……” thoughts

AndyP
    Free Member

Can’t believe you asked for advice on removing stitches. Any cyclist worth his/her salt should be able to stitch themself up in the first place.
    Proper suture needles help, but not essential.
    I’m saving up for a stereotactic frame and a brain atlas next.

jojoA1
    Free Member

The dim nurse that took out the stitches in my leg pulled the first stitch out by pulling the knot through the wound. Silly bint. I nearly punched her then fainted.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Pics!

Only one week later; healed up lovely. Seems a little ‘open’ on the left side of the cut, but is not bleeding at all, and inside the cut seems to have healed. Possibly cooduv been stitched a little neater on that side, but I’m not complaining. I’ll have full digit mobility, and only a small, unobtrusive scar. Has been quite painless, really. annoying more than anything. Good thing I’m left handed….

Tools for the job; din’t need the Leatherman, actually, as I puled the stitches out with me fingertips. Glad the nurse left a decent length of thread on the ends. Not quite the right type of blade, I shooduv taken the kit the nurse offered me mum (as a former nurse, she cooduve done it, but her eye-sight is not great for close up stuff these days, so she din’t want the responsibility), as it included a curved blade whch is designed for the task.

Right. I’m off to buy an avocado….

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Medical advice needed- can I take my stitches out myself?’ is closed to new replies.