• This topic has 56 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by GW.
Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Maxxis High Rollers – HEEEELP!
  • IA

skimming the above, except your weight etc. I'd say go for 2.5 supertacky dual ply on the front, 2.5 maxxpro dual ply on the rear.

UST if your rims will do it/convert/you can be bothered. If not, just regular tubes (heavier ones if you still flat lots)

Try 25psi to start with.

Suggesting the bigger tyres, as if you're new to this sort of riding the extra grip will give you confidence. In some cases, yes, smaller ones are better/faster, but again just starting out it's you that'll be slowing you down, not your tyres rolling slow!

The above combo will probably be grippier than anything you've ever ridden before, just try it and have fun!

RHSno2
    Free Member

Its quite surprising when you come off them on to 'normal' tyres too 🙂

solarider
    Free Member

Thanks all. Quite a few people have suggested harder compound on the rear. Is this just a wear thing to get more life out of the rear, or is there a good reason why I would want a harder compound on the back?

I was considering a 2.5 Supertacky High Roller at the back and a 2.5 Supertacky Minion up front.

Also, there does seem to be a few people (not just the pros) using the front-specific Minion at the back too. Any benefit in that?

brakes
    Free Member

I'd say harder compound for reduced wear rate and rolling resistance
    Minion on the front gives better lateral grip in corners when you're not at full lean, for me anyway, high rollers can be a bit snatchy in this respect i.e. grip can break away and then catch, it's predictable though

RHSno2
    Free Member

Its just wear. If you gonna race DH put a super tacky on the rear.

The front minion on the rear is great but is more about speed and driftyness. They have a really fast profile and hold corners well and drift nicely but the payoff is lack of bracking. The knobs don't brake like the rear specific.

They are more for advanced riders that WANT that loose style and knwo that as oppossed to say yourself who is just starting with this kind of biking. IMO

walleater

RHSno2 – Member
    2.7? Are you insane? I personally LOVE 2.35 size. QUICK and loads of grip still.

Yes! I know what you mean though. I've taken my hardtail with similar 2.3 tyres (Speccy Chunders IIRC) into Whistler Bike Park and loved the way it felt. Much more snappy / more responsive in and coming out of corners and the like. But when my DH bike is an unapologetic tank, and I like to plough into rock gardens at full tilt while ripping my bashguard to shreds then I might as well go for big tyres.

I don't know what the Bike Parks are like that the OP mentioned, but yeah, if they are like typical Verbier type trails then I'd not bother with 2.7s as you (well, me…) are not going fast enough to need the impact resistance.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Its just wear. If you gonna race DH put a super tacky on the rear.

If you can afford it! ST rear will be gone in a few dry dh races, or 1 race at ft bill!

solarider
    Free Member

Are the super tacky versions really that fast wearing? Literally 1 ride? If so, I'll go for the 60a instead.

Can't remember the last time I wore out the tread of a front tyre before the sidewall got cut to shreds, so I'll stick to the grippy version up front regardless.

walleater

I'm sure I've had a couple of months or so out of a Super Tacky rear in Whistler. I always make a point of not skidding though, and a rolling tyre does not get ripped to shit.

brakes
    Free Member

when I went to Whistler Bike Park (aka the meat grinder), mate had 3C high rollers on and the rear lasted the 2 weeks we were there riding 5-6 hours a day
    he's a smooth rider though

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Its not the middle that gets too worn, its the side knobles…they get torn and lose their sharpness/edge. Dont get me wrong, STs are great tyres, but when i was racing i couldnt afford to replace every month or so.

IA

You'll kill a supertacky rear in a week of rocky alps riding.

The problem is not that they wear down, but the knobs start to tear (ooh err missus) which makes them a lot less grippy. Soon as they start to tear, you'd've been better off with the maxxpro which would just be wearing down.

And it's not just budget concerns, gives you a little extra free speed having the rear roll a little faster.

jemima
    Free Member

I can see why you'd be tempted to go for single ply tyres due to the weight but the grip difference in going to dual-plys really is astonishing. Makes such a massive difference to grip and 'feel'. And remember – don't pump them up to 40 psi like normal tyres. Can run them down to around 25 psi depending on riding style and track.

For what its worth I run 2.5 minion on the front and 2.5 high roller on rear and find this a good combo. Both super tacky. The rear lasts long enough for me although eeked one out to 10 days riding in the alps and it was in absolute tatters. Couldn't face destroying another £30 at the end of an already expensive trip so just stuck with it…

solarider
    Free Member

Geez, the super tackies really do wear fast. I'm not used to tyres being so disposable. £25 every 10 days of riding is an expensive habit!

Still, maybe they are worth it if they really are that good and the front should last longer.

IA

You'll get a *lot* longer out a front, and it's more worth it there. Maxxpro on the back will still feel very grippy.

Take note on the pressures too, 25psi will be plenty. It'll feel a little soft at first, but it'll be fine.

FWIW i prefer a high roller to a minion if it gets greasy, and marginally a minion in the dry. So I tend to buy high rollers, as they're nearly always a great choice for the conditions.

RHSno2
    Free Member

Basically either will blow your mind and it will take you a while to realise what they enable you to do.

GW
    Free Member

Walleater – 2.3 chunders are slightly bigger than 2.5 minions – well mine are anyway.
    better (faster rolling/grippier when it matters/better wear) compound for a rear tho (other than for racing).

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis High Rollers – HEEEELP!’ is closed to new replies.