• This topic has 56 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by GW.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Maxxis High Rollers – HEEEELP!
  • solarider
    Free Member

Single Ply, Double Ply, Sticky, 45a, 40a, 60a, Triple, 2.3, 2.5, 2.7. AAAAAGGGGGHHHH!

OK, I want a good strong tyre for my Intense Slopstyle. It is going on DT FR600 rims and I will be using the bike for bike parks and uplift. A mix of FR and DH fun.

I have narrowed the search down to a pair of Maxxis High Rollers, but they do so many variants! WHICH ONES WOULD YOU RECOMMEND? Should I go for a wider tyre upfront?

Having taken this long, please don't confuse my already mixed up mind with a different choice of tyre altogether! I must be getting old and easily confused. Tyre choice never used to be this difficult!

kimbers

double ply is advised

2,35s from maxxis are a bit skinnier than other brands so 2.5 if you like your tyres wide

42a aka suoer tacky of the front
    60a aka maxpro on the rear

goog
    Free Member

2nd what kimbers said

jam-bo

3C's if you can afford it.

dual ply, 2.35 supertackys if you cant.

spoon
    Free Member

^ what he said.

solarider
    Free Member

What who said spoon?

MrNutt
    Free Member

I have the 2.35 UST's front and rear, that said I'm tempted by the balloon like rubber queens 😀

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Yep, dual ply if you dont need to ride up.
    2.5 front, 2.35 rear is a good combo. 60a all round unless you race. 3c is not worth the cash.

solarider
    Free Member

Now then Mr Nutt, what did I say about adding other tyres into the mix? I used to be decisive but now I just don't know!

Thanks for the advice Stuart. That was going to be my choice. Are they all steel bead?

GW
    Free Member

What bikeparks/uplift tracks?
    how do you ride? and at what sort of level?
    what do you weigh?
    All that needs answering before any advice will be relevant.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Double ply's are good (durable, less flats etc.) but they're heavy, only advised if your not intending to do any climbing. the 40a slow reazays wear out far too fast for most peoples pockets. The 3c triple compound version is good (durable and grippy) but pricey. You can get away with the 2.35 if you're lighter, they roll better and save a fair bit of weight. The minions are a good alternative, especially on the front, they seem to roll a little faster imho.

brakes
    Free Member

third kimbers = 2.5 super tacky up front and maxxpro rear

3Cs are good, but they are expensive, and don't last very long – although probably not a problem for Mr 7 Solas 😉

stumpyjon

From the keyboard of the Maxxis expert at MMA sports (the importers)

The 2.35 Kevlar 60a.

http://www.mmasports.com/maxxis/mountain-fr-highroller.php

The Kevlar tyre is great for 'freeride' trails with a bit of DH (unless it's full on DH, them the Dual ply is definitely what you need.) I wouldn't recommend the single ply for anything more than xc/ light freeride trails as the side walls are a little thin for the rocky stuff.

The Advantage is a good all rounder – high volume, lightweight, grippy on climbs and rolls fast. The 2.25 is big 2.25. If free ride / trails is your thing, this'll be good – as long as it's not big hits or rocky. Marginally lighter the Highroller too.

http://www.mmasports.com/maxxis/mountain-fr-advantage.php

I got both sets in the end.

solarider
    Free Member

What bikeparks/uplift tracks?
    Leogang and Saalbach, Austria. Steep, rooty, mix of gravel and forest tracks.

how do you ride? and at what sort of level?
    I have ridden for 20 years. Not quite there at the Repack, but a while. I race 2nd Cat road and MTB for fun, so quite an experienced cyclist. Having said that, this is my first DH/FR bike, so learning a lot of new skills!

what do you weigh?
    15 stone in my riding gear with a Camelback

And your advice knowing all of that?

solarider
    Free Member

Cheers Stumpyjon.

Thanks for the link. Just scared myself. I am used to 200grm road tyres and 400grm MTB tyres. These things weight 1.3KGS (!) each.

As I thought, this is a whole new world. Won't be riding up many hills with these buggers!

SamB
    Free Member

What kimbers said, 2.5" front and rear, soft compound (42) on the front, hard (60) on the rear.

Ideally tubeless if the 6000 is UST compatible or you can get a rim strip to fit.

grahamt1980

Agree with kimbers. Def. Get dual ply means you can run lower pressure and not pinch flat

richc
    Free Member

if its for uplifts I would be tempted of get supertackies front and back (or 3c's on the front if you are feeling flush)

spoon
    Free Member

What kimbers said.. 40a front 60 rear… although they are heavy…anyone tried the new offerings from Michelin ?

2.4 and 900g

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=48144
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=48162

spoon
    Free Member

not even 900g. 850g for the wild grip,

900g fro the wild rock and 2.4 !

I've just ordered some so lets see if they are total rubbish

RHSno2
    Free Member

If you are rich super tacks front and rear (A rear will loose its tread on the rear very, very quickly) but for the rest of us Super Tack on the front, 60 a on the rear.

If you want to carry speed and rip singletrack as fast as possible 2.35 (and turning those peadals) other wise 2.5 for DH tracks and everything else (and comfort)

GW
    Free Member

Thanks, but a little more info is still needed really. It'd be a good bet that you will need Dual Plys, but you didn't say if you are a smooth rider or not, whether you pick smooth lines, tend to jump rough sections or plow them, like your bike to change direction quickly and easily and sprint well out of corners or like it stable and both wheels in contact with the ground as much as possible. or for that matter whether you are a precise rider or a clueless chancer.
    I'm a similar weight reasonably quick DHer and these days (no more racing)I can get away with a single ply front for DH anywhere that's not too rocky.

compound – again, you need to give more info on what you want from the tyre, a 60a rolls noticably faster than 42a/3C/40a. and grip is just fine if you aren't looking to be pushing for the absolute last bit of grip on every corner.

Size – again, what do you want? a narrower rear tyre will accelerate faster but will need more pressure not to pinch, a fatter front makes sense for most DH tracks but there are occasionally conditions where a 2.35 front makes sense even for a bigger rider.

Don't think you have said what has made you choose the Highroller in the first place either. to be perfectly honest I'd only ever run a highroller on the rear, for me, the way I ride a Minion DHF is way better than a high roller for control/predictability.

WhatafackinLiberty
    Free Member

Thanks, but a little more info is still needed really. It'd be a good bet that you will need Dual Plys, but you didn't say if you are a smooth rider or not, whether you pick smooth lines, tend to jump rough sections or plow them, like your bike to change direction quickly and easily and sprint well out of corners or like it stable and both wheels in contact with the ground as much as possible. or for that matter whether you are a precise rider or a clueless chancer.
    I'm a similar weight reasonably quick DHer and these days (no more racing)I can get away with a single ply front for DH anywhere that's not too rocky.

compound – again, you need to give more info on what you want from the tyre, a 60a rolls noticably faster than 42a/3C/40a. and grip is just fine if you aren't looking to be pushing for the absolute last bit of grip on every corner.

Size – again, what do you want? a narrower rear tyre will accelerate faster but will need more pressure not to pinch, a fatter front makes sense for most DH tracks but there are occasionally conditions where a 2.35 front makes sense even for a bigger rider.

Don't think you have said what has made you choose the Highroller in the first place either. to be perfectly honest I'd only ever run a highroller on the rear, for me, the way I ride a Minion DHF is way better than a high roller for control/predictability.

Seems like a sensible question to me 🙄

🙂

WhatafackinLiberty
    Free Member

letmetalktomark

I have a 2.5'' Dual Ply ST that I have no use for now.

Loads of life left and not after much for it…….

Let me know if your interested (email in profile)

solarider
    Free Member

Thanks GW, very comprehensive answers there!

Hmmm. Sounds like Minions might actually be the way to go. I have always liked front and rear-specific tyres, every since the classic Smoke/Dart days.

I don't think I'll be pushing for every inch of available grip. No knee-down cornering here, so maybe not the super tacky compound. I tend to be fairly smooth and don't tend to wreck gear if it's any indication. Despite my weight and size (6ft 2in), I don't tend to pinch flat much either. I might even be able to get away with the significantly lighter single ply kevlar bead 2.35 versions. The thought of riding tyres weighing over 1.3kgs each doesn;t fill me with anticipation, but maybe I just need to leave the old-school behind and concentrate on hourses for courses. I will be ditching the triple for a small double with bash ring, so XC it aint!

Same choice of compounds and sizes, but any opinions on Minions vs High Rollers?

GW
    Free Member

Just to clarify, I meant DHFs front and rear, I wouldn't run a DHR at all, it simply isn't as good an all rounder as either a HR or DHF.

2x DHFs will handle similar to 2 Darts but with better braking.
    if you want smoke/dart characteristics, try DHF front, HR rear

solarider
    Free Member

Thanks GW, maybe the DHF front/HR rear is the way to go. Why not the DHR Minion?

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

If you think a 2ply is too much try a LUST tyre…halfway house at around 900g.

walleater

If you never ride uphill and are not bothered about rolling resistance, and hit stuff hard and fast, just go the whole hog and slap a 2.7 Slow Reezay Minnion on the front and a 2.5 Super Tacky High Roller in the rear. Before anyone comments on Slow Reezay tyres wearing down quick, I'm still using the same one that I've been using on and off since mid 2007 in Whistler Bike Park and the North Shore. My choice of a Super Tacky rear over a Spaxx Pro / 60 whatever, is yes, ST do wear down quicker in the rear but I'd rather change a tyre a bit more often in return for added confidence in wet conditions.

I'd say that tyres are about the most important part of a bike as they are the only thing that touch the ground so you might as well spend a bit of money on them.

Don't, whatever you do, put a Maxx Pro on the front and head down steep rock rolls and rooty chutes in the wet, unless you want to grow a third buttock made from poo…

MrNutt
    Free Member

there were some bargain rubber queens in the classifieds the other day, I'd have snapped them up if they were USTs!

solarider
    Free Member

Looks they have gone, but think I am sorted now.

Minion 2.5 up front, High Roller 2.35 at the back. I'll see if I can stretch to the 3d compounds. If not, something sticky like the 42a's.

I am fortunate. I have road bikes for the road, xc bikes for xc and the Intense for the bike park, so I might as well go the whole hog with some robust tyres on it and hang the weight. Just ordered a bashring and am dropping the triple up front too. Can't wait to give it some. You don't kit a bike out with heavy duty kit and ride it with the finesse of a skinny whippet racing hardtail!

Thanks everybody for their help. Especially GW. Quite a bespoke service there thanks!

Just waiting for the wheels to arrive now to see if they are Presta or Shraeder drilled. I will need some tough tubes. Hopefully Presta. Anybody know – they are DT FR600's.

GW
    Free Member

Yer welcome. 😳

I'd drill the rims out to Schraeder anyway, you'll be glad of it when the only mate/random rider with a spare tube just has schraeder. 😉

walleater

2.35 HR are quite small, just so you know. As for tubes, I've not run DH tubes for years and haven't pinch flatted, even when destroying rims! I'd just use large, but normal thickness (if that makes sense….) tubes.

solarider
    Free Member

Cheers. Maybe 2.5 front and rear then.

Wharfedale
    Free Member

This thread has got me thinking about changing my front HR 60a to a super tacky. Where's the cheapest place to buy them online?

solarider
    Free Member

CRC from what I can gather. Not sure if it is worth waiting for the weekend though. They sometimes have extra discount over Bank Holiday weekends/Easter/Christmas.

RHSno2
    Free Member

2.7? Are you insane? 😉 I personally LOVE 2.35 size. QUICK and loads of grip still.

BoardinBob

2.35 super tacky front and back. They were a struggle for a few weeks but they're fine now. I was never a fast climber anyway and I'm just as fast now as I was on other tires.

brakes
    Free Member

unless you want to grow a third buttock made from poo…

😀 😀

Sola will be riding in Europe, not the slippy helter-skelters of the North Shore
    one thing that no-one has mentioned is that you have to learn to lean with High Rollers, and to some extent Minions, or they will bite back. as you're starting out with this type of riding, this will be good as they should teach you to lean more into turns; they reward a more aggressive style.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis High Rollers – HEEEELP!’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM