Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Maxxis High Roller EXO 3C cracks
  • scuttler

Anyone seen this? Exo 3C, Stans fluid, tyre working fine used through winter and now the recent dry trails. Holds pressure. I get the cracks around the side knobs but not sure what’s happening across the main body of the carcass. It’s right around, not just one spot.

joebristol

I think it’s time for a new tyre. It’s odd but some knobbles look quite worn but others look in pretty good condition. Has it had a lot of use? I’ve not had a Maxxis tyre do that as far as I’m aware – but I’ve not had a high roller either. I think all of my Maxxis tyres are Evo casing and 3c max terra compound

verbboy
    Free Member

My HR is almost the same, although not quite as bad. Had another that did the same thing and a side knob got so bad it made a hole. 1) Replace or 2) Eek it out and throw away when you switch to a winter tyre. Just remember a spare tube 😉

sillyoldman

Which 3C compound?

Big-Bud
    Free Member

Never seen one as bad but had similar and with the wobble I’ve given up on maxxis

Onzadog
    Free Member

Has it been used through the coldest part of winter? Or stored outside during winter?

We don’t get any mention of it over here but the German maxxis site explains that cold temperatures can cause cracking on 3c compounds and advises the use of dual compound instead when riding in cold conditions.

mudeverywhere
    Free Member

Had a couple of 3C Maxx Terra Shorty tyres do this. Weird as there wasn’t much wear and they were only used on the front. I just kept using them until the summer tyres went on. Not seen this on any of my other Maxxis tyres. They were used in freezing cold weather so maybe there’s something to that theory.

scuttler

Thanks all.

It’s a Maxxterra tyre. I don’t think it’s a storage issue (assuming all 3C MaxxTerras are the same) as I have one more High Roller and a two more Minions in the garage not showing any cracking (27.5 instead of 29 showing the problem). This bike was ridden in the mild winter we just had but I’m beginning to wonder if I’ve been running it a bit too soft recently plus the dry trails leading to lots of lateral forces. I’ll check pressures, be sure to pack an inner tube and get a spare lined up.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis High Roller EXO 3C cracks’ is closed to new replies.