Home Forums Bike Forum Maxxis High Roller 3

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Maxxis High Roller 3
  • chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I know you lot love a tyre thread.

A new offering from the big M is on it’s way. Looks decent, like a cross between a Hillbilly and Argotal. Not sure it’s the same use as the old HR 2, if it falls under that banner when released!

chakaping

The pro riders were describing it as being like a cut Shorty IIRC? And the Shorty was like a cut spike anyway.

I found the HR2 a bit shit in mud, but this could be a lot better. The pros seem to love it anyway.

Dunno if Maxxis pricing will ever be realistic again though.

chiefgrooveguru

I believe it’s this:

It looks very similar to the Shorty but side by side you can see the knobs are closer together and the side knobs are thicker. Different siping too. I presume the centre knobs (and maybe side knobs) are lower?

chakaping

Nice one Chief.

Separated at birth from the Schwalbe Tacky Chan?

BillOddie

Looks like a wider spaced Assguy.

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

Has that Maxxis tyre only been doing right hand turns, looks like two different height cornering knobs on each side.

chiefgrooveguru

“Has that Maxxis tyre only been doing right hand turns, looks like two different height cornering knobs on each side.”

Good point! That photo is a spy shot from pinkbike from last year – maybe they made a prototype mould with different knob heights on the opposing sides to make it easier for test riders to compare and find what works best?

Rubber_Buccaneer

HR3 gets a few mentions in the PB article on Hardline tyre choices as used before the track dried, looks no relation to a HR2 to my eyes and I wouldn’t much go for a HR2 in mud (or ever really).

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Looks very like a WTB Verdict, which is an amazing front tyre…
    Verdict

LAT

Has that Maxxis tyre only been doing right hand turns, looks like two different height cornering knobs on each side.

Is it’s for use on dirt ovals? Cycle speedway, perhaps?

edit:and bugger, I was happy with my tyres. Now there’s another to fret over!

bikesandboots

More photos of it here https://www.pinkbike.com/news/randoms-round-1-bielsko-biaa-dh-world-cup.html

Separated at birth from the Schwalbe Tacky Chan?

IMO, no. It’s a well-spaced 2-2-2 with prominent knobs, and much squarer profile.

like a cross between a Hillbilly and Argotal

Looks very like a WTB Verdict

Agreed. For when it’s muddy but it’s not just mud. More knob % to put rubber down and less open space than a Shorty II.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Looks like a wider spaced Assguy

Nah it’s a different tread pattern. Although as some have said it’s nothing like it’s predecessor which was predominantly used as a faster rolling rear.

If you want an Assegai alternative there’s Vee Tire Attack HPL, which actually looks a good quality tyre. Never seen one out on the trails though, maybe you do in the states I don’t know!

matt_outandabout

What do we reckon, £95ea?

ampthill

That’ll be wire bead single compound….

chiefgrooveguru

That photo shows how much lower the knobs are than on a Shorty. I’ve been running the last gen Hillbilly on the front all year round for over five years on my ebike and this arrangement of knobs is very versatile – it hasn’t got intermediate tyre levels of grip on hard ground but it works better than you might expect and rolls faster than you’d think.

The current Hillbilly moves the knobs a little closer together and makes the side knobs a lot thicker – it’s a softer/slower compound too and is a great front tyre in all weathers on the natural trails I ride.

This HR3 seems to go further still in that respect – I can imagine it working fine in almost all conditions. As usual with Maxxis, a lot of crossover with other tyres like the Assegai, DHR2, Shorty and even DHF – niches within niches!

At least they can probably just make two diameters and one width (29 & 27.5×2.4) judging by how so many have converged on those dimensions.

Who wants to bet they initially launch the stickiest compound only with the heaviest casings and the fastest with the lightest, instead of what we’d really like on front and rear?

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Who wants to bet they initially launch the stickiest compound only with the heaviest casings and the fastest with the lightest, instead of what we’d really like on front and rear

TBH the fact the big brands dragged their feet (not just tyres) and got away with knocking out garbage year-on-year, which has only been settled/corrected in the last few years beggars belief.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Wait…….. we can take the wire bead out 🙁 —-thscvlabarg8*^$%”!$%&*&!!!!!!??????????

People will buy dual ply and thicker carcasses, not just for “Training” or DH. One of the brands used to call them training tyres, as opposed to the racing paper versions with a single 120 ply. One whiff of rock would induce at least four snakebites! Now they be Trail or Enduro at much higher prices 😀

Wait…….. people want soft compounds attached to lighter carcasses, madness madness I tell thee yyouoouuooooo vnjkljacva;jvanjscnv;ajsvnal;jvvjanvjfpaefp’rfvamauitateo;nununununununununununuqo’jopa’agoibna;l;?lzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Nxt u wil bee tellin me THT thay wan harger cumpunds on da hVY crocuss

sharkattack

200w

chakaping

Looks very like a WTB Verdict

Good spot, it does look like a cut Verdict.

Wonder if it has more prominent edge blocks than the Shorty? That’s where the Verdict really earns its keep IMO.

honourablegeorge

chiefgrooveguru

Who wants to bet they initially launch the stickiest compound only with the heaviest casings and the fastest with the lightest, instead of what we’d really like on front and rear?

Maxxis are the one company who seem to have got that memo, to be fair – even if it did take a decade or so

Looking at you, Continental

chakaping

Maxxis are the one company who seem to have got that memo

I’m still struggling to find many EXO+ tyres at all, personally.

And DDs seem thin on the ground too.

One good thing about WTB and Spesh is they make far fewer variants and focus on useable options.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@sharkattack

Nah it’s just a repeat of a rant dating back to about 2015 and my expression of years of exasperation.

I was running DH and 60tpi casings on a trail bike way back then and lamented the fact it was impossible to buy tyres in the most useful combinations. Not because the technology didn’t exist, because tyre manufactures didn’t want to make them and were quite happy churning out the same shit nobody asked for. Although much has improved we are still having the same conversations in 2024, they have been dragged kicking and screaming all the way!

reeksy

What do we reckon, £95ea?

It’s funny, Maxxis tyres are about the cheapest option in Oz. The most I’ve ever paid is $100 for a DH spec.

Northwind

Looks interesting to me, might give it a try if I can find a cheap one in the exact princess-and-pea combination I decide is important for no good reason 😉 Love a maxxgrip shorty but it does roll like a paving slab.

Brand recognition is weird though, that doesn’t really look like any sort of highroller or like it’ll fit the use case for the old one but then the HR2 really wasn’t great either, they should have just branded up the dhr2 as a hr instead tbf.

(Honestly I don’t think the HR2 ever succeeded on merit, it depended so much on the brand recognition, but apparently it still has some power)

gavjackson1984
    Free Member

Has anyone given these a try yet? If so how are you getting on and what’s your thoughts to a general all conditions winter tyre?

bikesandboots

This might put an end to running DHR2s up front.

Although maxxgrip and dh/exo+ only, at least for now.

Northwind

I feel like it’s a 3-way race between the new not-radial Schwalbes, the Highroller 3 in more carcasses, and the supersoft-on-enduro-carcass, to see what becomes available and affordable first. They all look bloody awesome if they can live up to expectations.

didnthurt

Genuine question on tyres for ebike, why’d you bother with something like this tyre? Wouldn’t you just get bigger and gripppier tyres if you’ve got a motor assisting you?

gavjackson1984
    Free Member

Took the plunge and got one on order with my local bike shop so will give feedback in a few weeks ??

chiefgrooveguru

“Wouldn’t you just get bigger and gripppier tyres if you’ve got a motor assisting you?”

Slower rolling tyres are still slower rolling on an ebike – so use/require more assistance/effort to go as fast on the flat or uphill and unless your downhills are the kind that require constant braking they’re slower downhill in a straight line.

And then there’s how they feel – much wider than 2.4” and they just don’t seem to want to flick about or dig into soft surfaces as well, for me at least.

didnthurt

Cheers for the insight

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.