Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Maths question – what x such that 2^x = 10y where x,y are integers
  • HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

as per title really! anyone know?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

none

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

10 = 2 * 5 and there are no integer multiples of 2 that make 5

avdave2

42?

IanMunro
    Free Member

What simon said. 2^x is always going to end up finshing in 2,4,6 or 8, never 0

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

not quite sure what SFB is getting at, but that equation cant be solved, you need the same number of equations as you have unknowns

eg

if x=1 then

2=10y so

y=0.2

if x=2 then

4=10y so

y= 0.4

if x=3 then

8=10y so

y=0.8

and so on

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

oops, missed the interger bit 😳

cp

it's 2^5 not 2*5…

i don't know whether it can be done, as 2^x as mentioned, always ends in 2,4,6 or 8 doesn't it?

funkynick

It doesn't even work if x=0…

So nope, no integer solutions…

IanMunro
    Free Member

Don't worry thisisnotaspoon, I thought I had a working answer but had pressed the wrong minus button on windows calc 🙂

cp

and likewise, you wouldn't be able to solve it without another equation, you'd need to go on trial and error.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

not quite sure what SFB is getting at, but that equation cant be solved, you need the same number of equations as you have unknowns

the question is asking for one or more solutions, not just one, but in fact there are none. If the 10 were replaced with 8 then there would be an infinite number of them starting at x = 3,4,5 … and y = 1,2,4 …

ie x > 2 and y = 2^(x-3)

Sidney
    Free Member

As far as I can work out SoB is correct.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

it's 2^5 not 2*5…

i don't know whether it can be done, as 2^x as mentioned, always ends in 2,4,6 or 8 doesn't it?

I was talking about the 10 in 10y. 10 is 2*5, so any multiple of it will still have 5 as a factor, but no integer multiple of 2 will make 5 (which is prime) so there are no solutions. Actually saying all powers of 2 end in 2,4,6 or 8 amounts to the same thing, as all decimal numbers have to end in a digit and zero doesn't work because all numbers ending in zero are multiples of 5 (ignoring 0 which is not a finite power of 2)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

you wouldn't be able to solve it without another equation, you'd need to go on trial and error

I'd question that, the process might be called analysis
    divide through by 2 to get 2^(x-1) = 5y,
    observe all the possible answers on the left only have 2 as factors and 5 is prime
    end of

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Simon: Since when has 2^(x-1) = (2^x)/2 ?

Would an easier approach be to assume both x and x must be negative, and ask when is log10(2^x) = integer ?
    Saying that, I got no integers out by the time Excel packed up at log (2^-1022)

IanMunro
    Free Member

Stick some values in and see what you come back with 🙂

elliptic
    Free Member

Since, ummm, always.

assume both x and x must be negative, and ask when is log10(2^x) = integer ?

Assuming you meant "assume both x and y must be negative" this makes no sense.

x is negative => 2^x is positive
    y is negative => 10y is negative

Therefore, 2^x = 10y has no solution for negative x and y.

clubber
    Free Member

Just graph it you'll soon see the solution then.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

😳 Things happen when the mind's on the real job!

elliptic
    Free Member

Now, if imaginary values of x are permitted… 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

it's interesting to speculate if it held true before the concept of number, or of powers, was conceived…

Would an easier approach be to assume both x and x must be negative, and ask when is log10(2^x) = integer ?
    Saying that, I got no integers out by the time Excel packed up at log (2^-1022)

no real power of 2 whether positive or negative will yield a negative result, and all the negative powers will give a non-integer value less than one. But IMO actually looking at what is happening is more productive than a fishing expedition…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

note that x^2 + y^2 = z^2 has an infinite number of integer solutions (right angle triangles) but no one has ever found one for x^n + y^n = z^n for n>2, and Fermat claimed to have an easy proof, though I believe it was only satisfactory reproved recently! Why not try that in Excel ??

funkynick

Hmmm… Fermat's Last Theorem… that should be easy, after all, I have a book around here that tells me how to do it…

What could be so difficult?

GJP
    Free Member

I would say that Ian Munro has given the most sensible and intuitive answer so far. Any one who can multiple a number by 2 and get the correct result will see the recurring pattern that he is referring to within 30 seconds. Or at least this is true for positive values of x.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I would say that Ian Munro has given the most sensible and intuitive answer so far. Any one who can multiple a number by 2 and get the correct result will see the recurring pattern that he is referring to within 30 seconds. Or at least this is true for positive values of x.

I can't find the post this refers to 🙁

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Maths question – what x such that 2^x = 10y where x,y are integers’ is closed to new replies.