Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Matchmaker X clamp/carbon bar slippage
  • dumbbot
    Free Member

So I got me some guide brakes and im have trouble getting them to stay put without them slipping. My previous Elixir brakes with the split clamp held in position without an issue, the hinge style clamp just doesn’t seem to contact the (Thomson) bar in the same manner.

Has anyone else had an issue with this? I can only see the application of carbon paste solving this but previous threads I’ve found mostly advised again this on the basis that on any impact the brakes should rotate to avoid damage. But unless I horse the shit out of the bolts they wont stay in place. 😕

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/carbon-assembly-paste-on-brake-lever-clamp

http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discussion/carbon-paste-914250.html

dirtydog
    Free Member

I use Motorex anti slip, it doesn’t contain abrasives so doesn’t scuff your bars, post etc, Merlin Cycles sell it.

dumbbot
    Free Member

Thanks, bit pricey but I’ll give it a bash… contrary to advise or not I feel I’ve got no choice but to try carbon paste on those clamps.

benpinnick

The clamp is sensitive to the position of the brakes in it – they’ll fit with about 10 degrees of rotation, but only 1 spot has full contact. Worth checking. Also are they new? If they’re not then if they’ve been crashed the clamp can deform quite easily and cause issues.

dumbbot
    Free Member

Yeah, brand new matchmaker X clamps. I did notice the patchy contact area of the clamp/bar, the hinged design just doesn’t seem as good as the old split clamp. 🙄

I’m wondering if I should ditch the matchmaker, and go back to the individual shifter and brake clamps.

benpinnick

The matchmaker bit won’t change the clamping, unless its fitted on the wrong way up – it only works on one side but looks like it would work either way.

Fitted properly the MMX clamp doesnt touch or interfere with bar fit. FWIW most of our demo bikes have carbon bars, and all run guides. No problems with slipping at all.

dumbbot
    Free Member

I guess it’s the force I’m exerting on the shifters when changing gear that’s causing them to move, and also the finish on the Thompson trail bars is rather polished, other bars may not be as bothersome.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Matchmaker X clamp/carbon bar slippage’ is closed to new replies.