Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 153 total)
  • Massive TVs – how big is too big
  • Ewan
    Free Member

We’ve moved house and the new living room is big and in the configuration my wife prefers means that the TV viewing distance is now 3.5m or so. Our old TV is a bit old and looks a bit small (it’s 50 inches) from that distance. So new TV time….

Can’t decide between a 65 inch model and a 70 inch model. Price difference is minimal, and part of me is like, who wouldn’t want another 5 inches…

Has anyone got a telly that big? What viewing distance do you have? I’ve looked at various online calculators and they all agree that 70 inches would be fine but they’re trying to sell massive tvs so would say that. Thoughts?

Poopscoop

You’ll never regret going bigger as long as the input and the display are good, imo of course.

matt_outandabout

Humblebrag of the day….

burner
    Free Member

Anything bigger than 20” is into chav territory

Caher

Get a projector and loads of other seats.

Ewan
    Free Member

Humblebrag of the day….

To clarify, we’re looking at cheapish massive TVs!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Anything is into chav territory

Cougar

My other half wanted a new telly. I said “there’s nothing wrong with the one we have.” Then her daughter left and took their TV from the other room. I was against replacing a perfectly good TV, but now we suddenly needed one for the room which has become the main living room.

Then she said “can we get something a bit bigger?” because her eyesight isn’t great (which probably explains why she’s with me. I went “challenge accepted.”

I moved the sofa so the viewing distance is about 2m. Then bought a 75″ TV. It is awesome.

#Humblebrag #KingOfTheChavs

argee

Mate has a 65, wouldn’t really notice if it was a 70, reality is you change your room around your TV, as long as it fits into the space required you can move sofas and so on about, and most likely will if going from a 40 or 50″.

Just buy the 70″ and enjoy watching your nascar on it ;o)

hb70

We had a projector. It broke. We bought a 65″ instead. We watch maybe an hour a day plus sport and films at weekends. If you’ve got the space, can afford it, why would’nt you. Might as well

timmys

Whatever the biggest OLED is you can afford. Not worth getting some monster thing if it’s going not going to be worth watching.

grum
    Free Member

We have a 65″ – I was skeptical but it’s great. Depends on size of your living room though. It worked better in our Glasgow flat with big living room.

intheborders
    Free Member

Sit closer to the old one so it’s the same as 65″, now move the seat further back so it’s like a 70″.

What works best?

adamthekiwi
    Free Member

And this thread neatly sums up why humans are racing towards extinction…

convert

It does a bit sadly.

oceanskipper

A TV is only too big if it won’t fit in the room. 😎

mrmoofo

How big does it need to be?
    What are then gains?

I have 55 ( I think) and sit a good 3.5m away. It look fine – and I don’t want a TV that takes over the room / hung on the wall/ on the mantelpiece

w00dster

I’m about 4 metres away from my 65 inch. Panasonic 4k thingy or other. Wasn’t massively expensive, but picture is great. Netflix 4k and Sky Ultra HD look great (not that I watch Sky Ultra much as annoys me why it isn’t the default picture in Sky Sports)
    Think I would get bigger next time. I have a reasonable size wall the TV hangs from so would get away with 75.

tomhoward

I sit 50 inches from my 65 inch TV when sim racing/gaming. Occasionally watch Tv/sport on it.

It’s ace, I would go bigger if I could fit a bigger one in the available space and it not explode from overheating/lack of cooling.

In the living room we sit maybe 3m from a 65 inch, also ace. room design and decor prevents further expansion.

oldnpastit

I have a 65″ I could not imagine anything smaller than that.

molgrips
    Free Member

We have 65, sat about 4m away. The key point though is it’s on a wall that is about 5m wide. So it doesn’t look big. And I could easily go quite a bit bigger, especially when playing games. If it’s slim and wall mounted in a big wall it becomes a feature. And I’m not kidding anyone, we mostly watch TV in the living room, no hiding from that.

devash
    Free Member

Our current one is 40″. I was all set on buying a 55″ when the current one breaks. However, after seeing 65″ and 70″ ones in the shop, 55″ looks rather small and insignificant now.

Ergo, get a 200″ projector screen and 8K projector.

Cougar

The thing about a big modern TV is, it’s flat. The radiator sticks out further from the wall and no-one ever said “what do you want a 60″ radiator for, it looks stupid, [something about the fall of society].” Have you grumpy shites never been to the cinema? Why would you do that when you can watch films on a 12″ black and white portable?

The reason we’re “racing towards extinction” isn’t having a television, it’s trampling each other to death in the race to post comments about things they aren’t interested in.

duncancallum

If it’s bigger than your bookshelves…

cromolyolly
    Free Member

75″. 75″ is too big, because the Sharp 75″ had to be mounted on the wall, because it was structurally incapable of supporting itself.

The reason we’re “racing towards extinction” isn’t having a television, it’s trampling each other to death in the race to post comments about things they aren’t interested in.

Pretty sure trampling each other to death would actually help. Also pretty sure it’s cos we buy too much stuff, that require too many resources and get chucked in the landfill too soon. Like buying another telly even though the existing one works and you can only watch one at a time.

Cougar

… which was my initial argument against doing so.

Also, more than one person often lives in a house. Four people can readily watch four TVs between them. If my OH wants to watch I’m a Celebrity Dancing On Ice In The Jungle So Come Dine With Me Under The Hammer In The Sun, and I want to put the Xbox on, that takes more than one telly.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

which was my initial argument against doing so.

And yet….

Also, more than one person often lives in a house

Less so, post trampling.

johndoh
    Free Member

It’s 3.5m away and 1.3m diagonally across isn’t big enough?????

Get yourself to SpecSavers.

bigrich

buy a second hand 70″ 4K OELD. change your electric to a green supplier

1) not a new item
    2) big tellys are ace
    3) annoys people who deserve to be annoyed

adamthekiwi
    Free Member

Sorry, OT rant deleted.

batfink
    Free Member

Just here to say buy an oLed. A bit ‘spensive compared to LED – but worth it IMO.

gaidong
    Free Member

75″ here. Bought drugged. Wife hated it. Now she doesn’t.  80″ would fit.

Daffy

Had a 55” Samsung LED TV for 11 years. We sit 3.75m from it. I’m not sure I’d buy anything bigger when it comes time to replace it. Anything bigger would dominate the 5.5*4m room.

TheFlyingOx

Whatever the biggest OLED is you can afford. Not worth getting some monster thing if it’s going not going to be worth watching.

As others have said, go for an OLED. Our trusty 43″ LG finally threw its hand in last month. I wasn’t after anything particularly fancy and the space on the wall doesn’t allow for anything too chavvy so I was just going for a like-for-like replacement. Nevertheless I ended up allowing myself to be talked into a 48″ OLED (absolute maximum size possible given the space on the wall) and I’m glad I did. It is magnificent.

stanley

I’m waiting for the 76″

poolman
    Free Member

Biggest tv that fits but more importantly, some fab speakers. I just bought the audio pro a36s and subwoofer, sw10. Omg the sound is amazing.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’m on a 42″ plasma! A TV peasant

Do have a gigantic 5.1 setup though…

rickmeister

Also, more than one person often lives in a house. Four people can readily watch four TVs between them. If my OH wants to watch I’m a Celebrity Dancing On Ice In The Jungle So Come Dine With Me Under The Hammer In The Sun, and I want to put the Xbox on, that takes more than one telly.

Get one mahoosive telly box and a laptop (cos the iPad, well, y’know)… then your wife watches TV in one open window, you play xBox in another. One tv not two, planet and humanity saved.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Had a 65 for 2 yrs now and I wouldn’t now go smaller

Peoples immediate thought is that you don’t need it that big but then when they have watched it for 10 mins they start saying stuff about how good it is

At least it’s not a curved 3D TV. They were all the rage on STW at one point 😂

FuzzyWuzzy

65″ and about 3m away from it, works fine for me – I wouldn’t want smaller now I’ve got used to it. Much bigger and I’d be looking more at an ultra short throw laser projector – although need them to come down in price a bit to…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘Massive TVs – how big is too big’ is closed to new replies.