Viewing 33 posts - 121 through 153 (of 153 total)
  • Massive TVs – how big is too big
  • Premier Icon project
    Free Member

Worked at a customers house huge tv about 4 foot accross but placed over the fireplace,and about 5 foot up in the air, problem was settee was about 6 foot from tv, so after 10 mins watching it and chatting a severe crick in neck.

Premier Icon chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Tickle me Elmo

It’s good to go and buy as many as possible then burn them. Just to deny some snivelling spoilt brats and potentially cause a golden moment like the following:

So worth it, it puts a bounce in your step. Merry Christmas!

Premier Icon bigfoot
    Free Member

Another 42” Panasonic plasma here, mine is 11 years old as well. Been looking at a 48” LG Oled but not sure if the picture would be any better than the panny on a normal HD signal when set up at home. By all accounts-internet advice anyway-the last plasmas made are almost as good as Oled.

at the start of the year i relagated my 50″ pannasonic plasma which is about 9 years old(one of the very last ones) to the bedroom and got a 65″ pannasonic OLED. the OLED is better on normal HD content, some of that might be the fact i’m looking at a bigger screen though, but not sure its worth the extra cost just for that and a small increase in size. what makes it worth it is 4K and HDR content.

currently using my small second living room while doing work in the main one so am sat about 2m away, got a feeling the 65″ is going to feel to small when i move back into the main room in a couple of weeks and go back to sitting 3m away.

Premier Icon TiRed

I like the solid angle screen test. Stick your arm out straight, raise thumb and lower pinky. The height of the screen should be about that distance for cinema viewing. Watching BBC iPlayer streamed from 4K Apple TV on the projector as I type.

Premier Icon hooli
    Free Member

No idea how big my telly is, my mate gave it to me after mine died. I also have it mounted on the wall at a height that most of you would have kittens about.

Premier Icon thebibbles

I’d rather have a smaller (55″) TV with better processing and pay for it to be professionally calibrated than just go for a massive screen. The amount of over-processing and nonsense settings I see on friends’ setups makes decent films look like they’re budget daytime tv productions, especially when watching HDR content.

If I want to watch something on a stupidly big screen I’ll watch it on my Oculus Quest 2.

Premier Icon tjagain

I like the solid angle screen test. Stick your arm out straight, raise thumb and lower pinky.

that gives a very differnt distance to the poster above whose method would have me under 2 m from my telly – that puts me about 3m away which is where I sit

The amount of over-processing and nonsense settings I see on friends’ setups makes decent films look like they’re budget daytime tv productions, especially when watching HDR content.

This

Premier Icon Cougar

The amount of over-processing and nonsense settings I see on friends’ setups

First thing I did was turn off all the crap like “sharpening.” Annoyingly, I had to do it multiple times over every time it changed modes (then accidentally hit reset and had to do it all again).

Why do they ship TVs like this? It looks terrible.

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

I also have it mounted on the wall at a height that most of you would have kittens about.

I won’t mount mine on the wall – there is no way I am going near our wall with a drill, not with £125 a roll wallpaper on it. :-O

Premier Icon Cougar

#humblebrag

Premier Icon cromolyolly
    Free Member

that gives a very differnt distance to the poster above whose method would have me under 2 m from my telly

Ain’t me, guv, it’s science. And these guys. https://www.smpte.org/

Chacun a son gout. I’m sure your eyesight plays a role. And what you are used to. I have no problems sitting at the 40° distance and it’s great for an immersive film experience. I also set up my surround sound with that as the sweet spot.
    You haven’t humblebragged about your 60″4k tv yet!

Premier Icon cromolyolly
    Free Member

Why do they ship TVs like this? It looks terrible.

Because it looks ‘good’ with the content the shops play on the display model. And the retina sear brightness and contrast settings can deal with the bright fluorescent lighting.

Premier Icon Cougar

Except, they generally have a separate “store” setting for that.

Premier Icon tjagain

You haven’t humblebragged about your 60″4k tv yet!

thats because I have  42″ tv I got secondhand – like I buy most of my consumer goods.   I don’t even know what definition or anything else it is and I don’t care.  Now thats a proper humblebrag 🙂

reduce, reuse, recycle 🙂

Premier Icon funkmasterp

with £125 a roll wallpaper on it.

Wallpaper? STW is moving from middle aged to old aged by the day!

Premier Icon convert

Wallpaper was in again…..but that was a couple of years ago. Might be passé again by now.

Premier Icon convert

re the settings – if they could invent a wife lock that would be marvellous. A bit like a child lock but it prevents ones nearest and dearest switching the telly back to some horrific ‘vivid’ setting after you have spent minutes fine tuning an acceptable custom setting that stops everyone looking like they have a Trump tan.

Premier Icon cromolyolly
    Free Member

thats because I have 42″ tv I got secondhand – like I buy most of my consumer goods. I don’t even know what definition or anything else it is and I don’t care.

Jeez, then it’s even worse. You should be 1 8m for regular viewing and 1.5 or so for films!

Actually, in all seriousness, at that size if it’s a bit older, it might be 720p, which would explain why you can’t sit closer because at that pixel density you may start to see image degradation before you get to ‘optimum’ distance.

Premier Icon cromolyolly
    Free Member

they could invent a wife lock that would be marvellous

A mate used to put dead batteries in the remote when he wasn’t using it. He told his wife and kids it was broken. He knew they couldn’t be arsed to read the manual to figure out how to change it through the buttons on the tv.

Premier Icon cromolyolly
    Free Member

Except, they generally have a separate “store” setting for that.

Here, yes. Walmart and Costco in the US, not so much. Guess where they sell more tvs!

£125 a roll wallpaper on it.

I wouldn’t brag about having wallpaper. Hateful stuff – never had it in 28 years of homeowning

if they could invent a wife lock that would be marvellous

I quite often bollock the Mrs for recording stuff on Sky in SD. She can’t be arsed to find the HD channel. She can barely tell the difference between SD and UHD HDR FFS

Premier Icon Poopscoop

PSA: 10% off *all* Tv’s at Argos at the moment. Online/in store.

Code is online.

Premier Icon tjagain

don’t worry chomolly – its not that old 🙂    I just find it highly amusing that you guys sit with your noses pressed against the screens and have these huge tellys dominating your rooms.  But then I probably watch it 2 or 3 hours a week !  It hasn’t been turned on for a couple of days

I don’t sit closer because it bloody uncomfortable to sit so close with such a wide viewing angle –

Premier Icon Cougar

I quite often bollock the Mrs for recording stuff on Sky in SD. She can’t be arsed to find the HD channel.

I really don’t understand why “use best source” isn’t a feature in 2021. My other half will watch say BBC1 in SD because on the HD channels you get what is effectively a test card whilst it switches to regional programming like the local news and she gets sick of pressing ONE BUTTON to change it. Then I came in and think I’ve grown cataracts.

It surely can’t be that difficult to auto-switch? The old Sky HD box used to annoy me for this, but my brand new supermassive TV still doesn’t do it.

Premier Icon CountZero

Thing is, tv screens are measured on the diagonal, so a 5” diagonal difference in size will be barely noticeable across the width; it’s 2.5” inches extra on each side on the diagonal, so probably not much more than an inch or so across the width.

If you’re sitting ten feet away, I reckon you could go to 75” or possibly 80”.

My telly is a fairly old, (2007), and a 42” Bravia with quite a wide bezel. I’m sat about six feet away from it, which sounds close, but if I hold my 10.5” iPad up just over a foot in front of my face, it completely covers the telly screen.

Premier Icon cromolyolly
    Free Member

just find it highly amusing that you guys sit with your noses pressed against the screens and have these huge tellys dominating your rooms

I have a very modest sized one that I’d happily sit closer to, except it would be uncomfortable cos I’d have to pull my feet up under me. I’d also have to recalibrate the surround sound. I spent the money I saved on the tv on the sound system. The sound on flat panel tvs is atrocious.

Premier Icon tenfoot

Another 42” Panasonic plasma owner here.

My wife wants us to get a bigger set, but doesn’t want us to pay OLED money.

Looks like we will be sticking with the Panny for a bit then.

Premier Icon reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I checked the price of our 42” panny plasma, it was £800 11 years ago, a 48” LG OLED can be got for £799 at the moment so prices actually seem on a par with my old set, possibly even cheaper if you work out 11years inflation. Damn, why is the picture still so good, would love a slightly larger set!

Premier Icon sparksmcguff

The reason we’re “racing towards extinction” isn’t having a BIGGER television

May not be the only reason, but is really is a reason. Trying to deflect reasonable observations that question whether we really need to constantly “go bigger” doesn’t help establish debate about what is sustainable.

Premier Icon Cougar

Thing is, tv screens are measured on the diagonal, so a 5” diagonal difference in size will be barely noticeable across the width; it’s 2.5” inches extra on each side on the diagonal, so probably not much more than an inch or so across the width.

Your maths needs work. A 16:9 screen gives you a diagonal ratio of 18.36 (for back-of-an-envelope calculations that it isn’t a million miles from Pythagoras’ 3:4:5 triangle).

5 / 18.36 * 16 = 4.36 so a 5″ change in screen size is a 4.36″ change in width. Or 2.18″ by your “each side” reasoning.

Premier Icon bigfoot
    Free Member

checked the price of our 42” panny plasma, it was £800 11 years ago, a 48” LG OLED can be got for £799 at the moment so prices actually seem on a par with my old set, possibly even cheaper if you work out 11years inflation. Damn, why is the picture still so good, would love a slightly larger set!

was similar in my case, 50″ plasma was £1200 about 9 years ago and at the start of this year the 55″ OLED was £1100 although i ended up going 65″ which added about another £500. the plasma was a bit higher up the range though.

Premier Icon prettygreenparrot

The amount of over-processing and nonsense settings I see on friends’ setups makes decent films look like they’re budget daytime tv productions, especially when watching HDR content.

This to some degree. I like that my TVs set the frame rate to match the ‘source’. But the out of the box settings were awful: smoothing, ‘AI’ blah blah. Awful. Turned all of that nonsense off and things were much better.

Viewing 33 posts - 121 through 153 (of 153 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.