Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • Masks in schools petition
  • colournoise

Sui. Head over to the Reopening Schools thread – you can find stevextc’s views on education and schools expounded at length there to save him repeating them here and derailing another thread.

kelvin

all the staff then mix in their staff rooms anyway

In which school is this happening?

anagallis_arvensis

all the staff then mix in their staff rooms anyway

Given most schools are using the model of kids stay, teachers move its not like I will be able to sit in my room during free periods, if I want to use a computer I will have to use the staff room.

Sui
    Free Member

at least 3 we know of in the surey hills areas – this is despite all the other efforts they go to to isolate the kids including no canteens anymore.

the other, bigger issue is hand washing with youngsters. you might think your darling is good at washing his/her hands at home – school .. well horse to water and all that and you cannot supervise them all.

kelvin

I will have to use the staff room

You’ll want to be finding a way around that fast.

at least 3 we know of in the surey hills areas

Very worrying.

anagallis_arvensis

You’ll want to be finding a way around that fast.

There isnt one, if the rooms have kids in and I dont have my own room and I cant go home my options are limited.

colournoise

We’ve been told that our staff study area will be available but will need to be used with strict distancing applied and that if you go to use it and there’s no room left then DO NOT force the issue.

I’m lucky that I have an office to retire to when not teaching, but this is one of the biggest logistic issues for schools where staff are no longer teaching in ‘their’ room and have to be nomadic. When you’re not teaching where can you go?

stevextc
    Free Member

On “density” and “bubbles”… remember that schools and councils have been instructed NOT to re-use non school buildings that might be available to them (closed public libraries etc) as means to spread students (and staff) out.

One of the local schools had an offer of a very recently decomissioned school building that was in use as a occasional community resource (last couple of years) that got scrapped because it “might” not be suitable. I didn’t follow in any detail but seemed absolutely crazy.

stevextc
    Free Member

what?? surely tougne in cheek, or are you aiming this at people in their late teens who have parents around that can supervise them, motivate them??

UNless you are one of the lucky parents that have angle kids that will self willing sit and learn and not fight, get distracted etc etc, then the above statement is…. well bollix..

There is a huge difference between NEED and convenient…
    My 10yr old will be 11 by the time he goes back.
    It would be nice if he had a couple of sessions a week in school but given motivation he can do most of the work at home.

He’s not exactly motivated in school anyway indeed he’s lost all motivation for learning since he started school and now he is interested only in meeting the minimum for the curriculum.

OH will be in school anyway but he’s old enough to be home and look after himself and given some actual motivation and resources learn more at home in a shorter time.

mjsmke

Every teacher I know uses a shared staff room.

kelvin

Every teacher I know uses a shared staff room normally.

Anyway, this is all for the other thread.

miketually
    Free Member

I think I’ll be teaching from the front and keeping 2m away from my students – I’m in FE so am sharing a building with 2200 adults (>16 years old) with no distancing possible for the majority of those adults.

Reading some replies here from other teachers, you need to be speaking to your union reps.

mjsmke

Already raised concerns with my union. They have been very supportive so far so hoping some kind of safety measures will be in place before the start of term.

stevextc
    Free Member

colournoise

Sui. Head over to the Reopening Schools thread – you can find stevextc’s views on education and schools expounded at length there to save him repeating them here and derailing another thread.

Whereas you think it’s worth killing people for?

Sui … presumably SCC guidance

Given the updated guidance, the following rules will apply from Wednesday 2 September:
    – Students travelling to and from school on public transport or the D&P coaches should wear face
    coverings throughout their journey.
    – Students will be allowed to wear a face covering during lesson transition, break and lunch should they choose.
    – Students will not be allowed to wear face coverings during lesson time where they are in their
    ‘bubbles’.

– Students must remove their face covering without question if asked to do so by a member of staff.

– Any face covering worn by students must be the ‘mask’ type; scarves and snoods will not be
    allowed. They should be plain in colour (blue, black, white, grey, beige).

mjsmke

Bubbles wont work:

Staff are teaching across multiple bubbles.
    Staff are sharing staff rooms.
    Multiple groups (bubbles) use the same rooms.
    Some staff teaching in multiples buildings too.

colournoise

I think I’ll be teaching from the front and keeping 2m away from my students

This is explicitly stated in our latest OPs and all classrooms have been laid out to allow this to happen (bearing in mind, rightly or wrongly, students are not required to be socially distant in classrooms). Moving the desk layout or going to student desks would breach our OPs and could in theory lead to disciplinary procedures. A bit heavy handed perhaps but necessary for RA/insurance and makes the point obvious.

Also, any ‘visits’ to lessons (to support, observe, remove a student, etc.) will be done “from the door”. No one other than teacher, TA and students in the room.

matt_outandabout

This is explicitly stated in our latest OPs and all classrooms have been laid out to allow this to happen (bearing in mind students are not required to be socially distant in classrooms). Moving the desk layout or going to student desks would breach our OPs and could in theory lead to disciplinary procedures. A bit heavy handed perhaps but necessary for RA/insurance and makes the point obvious.

Clearly you don’t work in Primary 1 (Reception) like mrs_oab.

monkeyboyjc

Rise in cases in France and Scotland this week, and what had changed significantly for a potential cause? They both had return to schools two weeks or so ago….

The gov (under advice from SAGE) said in June, a return to schools would increase the R rate by a factor of 0.5. Nothing has change since then scientifically. The current R rate for England is 0.9 – 1.1
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-r-number-in-the-uk
    In a months time that infection curve will have a much higher incline…..

kelvin

The areas under “local lock down” will change on Wednesday (announced today) so I’m back to having no idea if my son and his peers will be wearing masks in the corridors or not. The government needs to take clear unambiguous universal steps that all parents can understand, to prevent the return to school buildings resulting in a rise in cases followed by their “whack—a-mole” piecemeal interventions interrupting learning for kids that desperately need some consistency to catch-up.

anagallis_arvensis

Facebook just now!!

colournoise

Clearly you don’t work in Primary 1 (Reception) like mrs_oab.

Thankfully not. Younger Primary teachers are a very special breed.

Secondary for me. And Head of Year 11 this year…

scotroutes

Facebook just now!!

It’s almost like Facebook knows you’re a teacher!

carbonfiend
    Free Member

I’ve got 4 teenagers though only 3 in school & just been informed that they are required to wear masks in corridors. One of the teenagers is a looked after child of which I’m the legal parent & is on a reduced timetable & EHCP the other is mildly dyspraxic & spends time in the SEND room. My eldest one is no longer of school age but was frankly a **** nightmare at school (alpha male type) the other is good as gold – that’s just my kids so all I can say is good luck with enforcing that rule in a school of roughly 1000 pupils.

mjsmke

It’s too much to try and enforce it everywhere but since there are no social distancing measures in the classrooms (where I am) masks need to be worn in class. That’s easy to enforce with 1 class at a time.

My concerns are for the safety of staff as well as the students. I want to be able to wear a mask while teaching too.

stevextc
    Free Member

My concerns are for the safety of staff as well as the students. I want to be able to wear a mask while teaching too.

Much as I understand that from a personal view it’s missing the point.
    Crowding kids in classrooms then sending them out into the world can only have one outcome.

kelvin

Measures can be in place to limit the scale of that outcome.

anagallis_arvensis

I think it was this thread I posted that I was going to be given a visor, thats been down graded to “I can have one if I want”.

anagallis_arvensis

So more arse covering than face covering!

Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Masks in schools petition’ is closed to new replies.