• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by LAT.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Marzocchi Z1 coil owners
  • chakaping
    Free Member

May I ask how much you weigh and which spring you are on?

I’m right on the cusp of medium and firm (about 82kg or a touch more) and wanted feedback before I splash out on a firm spring.

confused58

I’m 97kg and use a firm spring on my Kenevo, so would suggest you try the medium…

chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply, that’s a handy benchmark 🙂

I’m on the medium and it’s pretty good – but possibly dives a little on steeper trails.

I’ve seen some reviewers a similar weight to me preferred the firm spring, but then I do tend to favour comfort over support to help me go faster.

lcj

I’m in a similar position to you chapaking (albeit a bit heavier), I was comfortably between medium and firm springs but having upped the travel by 10mm I’m apparently now in firm spring category. I do find the medium dives a bit more now with the longer travel so I figure if I can get the support from the firmer spring I can then back off the compression dial a bit which might help maintain the comfort. Fingers crossed eh?!

rhid

I looked at the Marzocchi kit for my Z1s as have converted from air to coil. In the end I was feeling fancy so went with smashpot and a couple of springs to work out whats best as I am very much on the medium/firm boundary.

One slightly related but maybe not that related question – Marzocchi state that the 29″ Z1 can only go to 170mm. What would happen if you bumped that up to 180mm? The smashpot kit would go up to 180mm. Would the fork explode? The 27,5″ Z1 does go up to 180mm. I know different forks etc but……what would happen?*

*This is not considering frames or their suitability for 180mm forks.

chakaping
    Free Member

I do find the medium dives a bit more now with the longer travel so I figure if I can get the support from the firmer spring I can then back off the compression dial a bit which might help maintain the comfort. Fingers crossed eh?!

What travel change did you make?

If you’re a bit heavier than me then the firm spring might be spot on for you.

Come and report back if do you try it.

Rhid – would that be a question for Vorsprung?

I think part of my issue is that the fork is at 160mm on a bike which previously had a 180mm Zeb, so I’ve had to raise the bars but the geometry is still steeper than I’m used to (albeit about 64deg HA).

I’m going to put it on a more suitable bike before I make any rash decisions.

mildred

When I bought my Z1 coil last year I was 90kg. The medium was too soft for me and I had to dial in some compression damping to stop it bobbing so much. I upped the spring to firm & it’s much better.

However, swapping the grip damper to a Fast sc5 has transformed this fork. It now sits very high in its travel, and I think I could now get away with dropping to a medium for certain conditions without the bobbing & diving I previously experienced.

LAT

What would happen if you bumped that up to 180mm?

at a guess there wouldn’t be enough overlap between the uppers and the lowers of the fork and the possibility that the stanchions won’t be properly supported by the lower bushings in the lowers.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.