Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Mark Beaumont Round The World
  • gordimhor

Fantastic achievement. Round the world in under 79days. Cycling 16hrs per day. Cycled 7031 miles in a month. If I had a hat I would tip it to that man and his backup team.

grtdkad
    Free Member

😯

funkrodent

The mind boggles. Wonder how much weight he lost?

iainc

Consuming 9000 calories a day so probably not much

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nGrYEFG6Ho[/video]

Except on a bike… The mind boggles at the scale of this feat! 8)

dovebiker

Awesome achievement and phenomenal logistics planning and teamwork from his crew – followed it from the start to finish and it was exemplary in execution. Can’t wait for the film.

rsmythe
    Free Member

I never thought that kind of endurance was possible! Chapeau, Mark!

sockpuppet

I’ve been following his feeds and the Artemis page every day: amazing performance and consistency.

I think he might have killed it as a competition! I’m a bit sad that he’s had practically zero mainstream coverage til today, but I guess it’s a niche thing really.

I’d love to ride 240 miles in a day, as a one off let alone followed by 78 more…

As said above, hat.

iainc

Also a very nice down to earth guy. He’s a riding and workmates cousin and have met a few times, and I’m looking forward to his evening talks in Glasgow in November,

LittleNose
    Free Member

I’ve just finished reading his book about his first round the world record – What an adventure!

+1 for the hat tipping

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Whilst it’s a fantastic achievement, and I’m a big fan, bear in mind the record for riding in a year is 86500. That means an average of 236 miles a day, every day for a year. It was set by a 24 year old woman.

In 1939 Tommy Goodwin rode over 75000 miles in a year (over 200 miles a day average) That was on a heavy 3 speed bike with no support crew.

So Mark just needs to crack on for another 9 months! 🙂

AlexSimon

boriselbrus – Member

Whilst it’s a fantastic achievement, and I’m a big fan, bear in mind the record for riding in a year is 86500. That means an average of 236 miles a day, every day for a year. It was set by a 24 year old woman.

In 1939 Tommy Goodwin rode over 75000 miles in a year (over 200 miles a day average) That was on a heavy 3 speed bike with no support crew.

So Mark just needs to crack on for another 9 months! My mind is completely blown by these. I struggle to do 100k a week!

DavidB
    Free Member

Godwin rode a 4 speed bike and had a support crew. You’d no this if you’d read (and reviewed) my book properly.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Hi Dave, you are of course right about the number of gears, I had mis-remembered.

But whilst you are here, why did you finish your book halfway through the year when two athletes were making the first serious attempt on the record in 40 years? That just seemed Bizarre. It was like ending a biography of Wiggins halfway through the 2012 TdF?

fatmax

Godwin rode a 4 speed bike and had a support crew. You’d no this if you’d read (and reviewed) my book properly.

And you’d think an author would be able to spell ‘know’ 😛

Poopscoop

Got a link please? Amazing!

scotroutes

I thought the timing of Dave’s book was ideal as it provided all the context for the ongoing attempts and made following their progress more involving as you could begin to understand what was involved.

Anyway – massive kudos to Mr Beaumont. Next challenge???

franksinatra

Ned Boulting writes about some of the historical records in one of his books (can’t remember which one), it is mind blowing.

iainc

scotroutes, did you watch the Artemis FB feed from the finish yesterday ? It was clear he knows what the next challenge is, but wasn’t wanting to say, yet..

wonnyj
    Free Member

I’m a bit sad that he’s had practically zero mainstream coverage til today,

I’ve seen a fair bit.
    -BBC Breakfast live from the bike
    -Sky News ( if I remember rightly)
    -Top of my facebook feed every morning

Chapeau!

NewRetroTom

I don’t really understand why they gave him the Guinness world record for highest monthly mileage.
    Amanda Coker holds the record at 8,012.5 miles (almost 1k more than Beaumont) which was verified by the Ultra Marathon Cycling Association. I guess Guinness have just chosen to disregard this.

jimbocube
    Free Member

Really amazing achievement!

scotroutes

I don’t really understand why they gave him the Guinness world record for highest monthly mileage.
    Amanda Coker holds the record at 8,012.5 miles (almost 1k more than Beaumont) which was verified by the Ultra Marathon Cycling Association. I guess Guinness have just chosen to disregard this.

Pretty sure he’s already commented on this, basically apologising to Amanda for the way it’s been ratified.

iainc – Member
    scotroutes, did you watch the Artemis FB feed from the finish yesterday

Nah. I was working…

atlaz
    Free Member

Guinness are a bit of a funny one… what they choose to recognise and not recognise is a bit random.

Bloke sets a record for maximum number of countries in 24 hours on a bike (5, pretty obvious route too) – awesome, rock on
    Fastest time to ride between 5 countries – stupid record idea

The difference between the two is minimal in terms of achievement (I reckon I could complete the route in 6-8 hours depending on weather) but I’d argue that the first one is unbeatable now as there aren’t any places you can ride 6 countries in 24 hours that I know of (actually for someone who can ride 600km in a day, there is one but it looks challenging)

donald
    Free Member

Seems the record is actually six!

The most countries visited in 24 hours by bicycle is 6 and was achieved by Michael Moll (Germany) who started his journey in Splügen Pass, Italy and ended in Saint-Louis, France, on 4 June 2016.

Michael cycled from Italy and then through Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria and Germany before ending in France. The journey took 20 hours and 17 minutes.

Guiness entry

DavidB
    Free Member

But whilst you are here, why did you finish your book halfway through the year when two athletes were making the first serious attempt on the record in 40 years? That just seemed Bizarre. It was like ending a biography of Wiggins halfway through the 2012 TdF?

Because I’d finished it before they set out. The last chapter was an addendum done as we were final proofing. I’d worked ten years on the research and planned with my publisher to launch in 2015. You cannot know the effort that went into that as it was un unbelievable task to dig out the detail from archives and interviews. We had to draw line somewhere and other attempts were cropping up as well.

I thought your review was overly harsh and would love to be able to publicly critique something you’d spent 10 years researching.

scud
    Free Member

Amazing ride, plus it also places in context how amazing Mike Hall’s 91 days 18 hours was unsupported, always felt gutted for Mike that it wasn’t recognised by Guinness when they changed the rules.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Dave, I own all your books and have enjoyed all of them with one exception.

The issue I had with your writing in this was sentences like “after 3 months rider x had ridden some 5000 miles, which was some 1200 miles more than the previous record but some 600 miles fewer than rider y”. It was so irritating to read the repetition of “some” all the time and it made reading the book a real trial.

I appreciate the massive effort of research that went into it, and it is of course entirely between you and your publisher when you publish. However getting into the final chapter and reading about the preparation of the two new rival attempts before just ending it 6 months into their attempts just made me angry – hence my review. Either see the year out, or end the book by saying that after 40 years there is new interest in the record and 2 serious attempts have been announced for next year. Don’t just leave me hanging.

I’m sorry you didn’t like the review. I very rarely review books, but I was really disappointed and frustrated reading it. Clearly from the reviews others think differently. But just putting a lot of effort into something does not entitle you to glowing reviews, and if you put the fruits of your labour into the public domain and charge for it, you must expect people to have opinions on your work, not all of which will be positive.

pedlad

Absolutely amazing feat.

In a blatant example of moasting (moaning whilst really boasting)
    I did 208 for chase the sun last year and it properly wiped me out for 5-7 days – all I wanted to do was sleep and eat.

The thought of doing far more than that, day after day after day is incredible.
    Well done Mr B!

DavidB
    Free Member

I accept all your points and will retire back under my rock. Trouble is I cared so much about that book that your one negative review did untold damage.

atlaz
    Free Member

I entirely ignore updates to the record. Nobody is getting 7… maybe?

pictonroad

Name the book David, I need a Christmas list.

donald
    Free Member

I entirely ignore updates to the record. Nobody is getting 7… maybe?

I reckon it could be done, if you count Kosovo as a country.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Oh FFS. This is a thread about Mark Beaumont and his fantastic achievement of riding a bike around the world in 79 days.

If anyone would like to read a very well researched book about the history of endurance cycling then “The Year” by Dave Barter will doubtless inspire you. I hope you enjoy it.

blades2000
    Free Member

I was fortunate enough to ride with Mark out of Anchorage, AK. It’s great to see that he has completed this ride and under his 80day target.

dovebiker

It’ll be interesting to see if anyone else makes an attempt, maybe get an absolute battering or fall out with their crew to put this into perspective.

molgrips
    Free Member

Strava have made a Facebook page awarding him the KOW

I hope they make that a real thing 🙂

blades2000
    Free Member

Here is little insight into the equipment used from GCN.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Mark Beaumont Round The World’ is closed to new replies.