• This topic has 251 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by paton.
Viewing 12 posts - 241 through 252 (of 252 total)
  • Marino custom frame – some progress!
  • boxwithawindow
    Free Member

Took 18 months for mine to arrive, axle size was wrong and the wheel did not sit central also brake mount is positioned wrong.

Said they would make another but I just sent it back and got a refund.

I’m sure my case is one of the few but it was not the fun experience of hoped it would be.

zippykona

@sillyoldman the crud XL fits carbon forks a treat.
    null

superstu
    Free Member

Appreciate nobody likes someone being negative but this thread alone isn’t a great endorsement for Marino imho.

In my opinion – it surprises me the number of second hand frames that pop up for such a small manufacturer, which makes me think they’re not hitting the spot with their buyers or certainly owners aren’t so enamoured that they stick with them. I include the sick frames that they made in that too as most of those seem – limited as they were – to be sold again soon after. By comparison you don’t get many btr etc popping up second hand.

For me for the hassle factor and the fact even those on this thread didn’t get exactly what they ordered I think I’d rather get something off the shelf like a cotic, Sonder signal or Planet X even or go all out for a Curtis, coal or btr. Appreciate that they are more expensive but not significantly by the time you’ve paid for paint import duties etc.

Just my thoughts 🤷‍♂️

Rubber_Buccaneer

For me for the hassle factor and the fact even those on this thread didn’t get exactly what they ordered I think I’d rather get something off the shelf like a cotic, Sonder signal or Planet X even or go all out for a Curtis, coal or btr. Appreciate that they are more expensive but not significantly by the time you’ve paid for paint import duties etc.

+1.  I put over 2500 miles on a Ti Sick! frame and may put it back into action for winter duty some time but it was never really right

joebristol

+1. I put over 2500 miles on a Ti Sick! frame and may put it back into action for winter duty some time but it was never really right

If it was Titanium it wouldn’t have been built by Marino as far as I’m aware.

To sum up Marino based on my experience I am very happy with the frame I’ve got to date. Seems to be welded nicely, the internal routing broadly works with a bit if dropper post fiddle (but then my recent Transition Sentinel was worse and a mate had a nightmare with a Sonder) and I couldn’t have got the same anywhere else for anywhere near what I paid.

On the flip side things to be aware of: the communication with be poor to almost nil, it’ll almost certainly take longer to arrive than they quote / you expect and it’ll probably be on the heavier side.

If a frame had been available off the shelf with the geometry and material I wanted I probably would have just bought that and you should too. Custom is a good option if you want something unique.

If you have loads of budget for custom then definitely using the likes of Curtis / BTR / Shand etc. If you don’t want to spend that much and have patience / are in absolutely no hurry then go fir a Marino.

singlespeedstu

not significantly by the time you’ve paid for paint import duties etc

I paid £350 all in.
    Really not sure anyone could even get to anywhere near that price for a custom built frame.

I’m more than happy with what I have and don’t plan on selling it any time soon.

dc1988

I’m very pleased with mine and paid around £400, anything close off the shelf was almost double that. I didn’t have issues with communication or a long wait. Go in with your eyes open and you shouldn’t be disappointed.

I think seeing a lot for sale is more because people can try out a custom bike for very cheap and barely lose anything if they don’t like it. The custom element means a lot of people try silly geometry, the Sick! Bikes were too extreme imo and won’t make for a great all rounder.

I would happily buy again from Marino.

sillyoldman

Mine was about £330 all in. Really happy with it – build and finishing both better than I expected. It was quite a long wait and communication was sporadic, but I’d do it again.

Perhaps people test wilder geometry on Marino before committing to posh custom frames in the same, or slightly tweaked geometry, and so the Marino mules get sold on when replaced? Dunno.

superstu
    Free Member

I get the appeal, great if you can get something you like at those prices. 👍

jastheblade

I have just had a Marino Cabala, shortish lead time, great communication. Came with headset/axle
    and 3 well finished derailleur hangers.

Delivered for under £400

Nothing similar geo here for anything close to that in cost.

Really happy with the frame. Great geo as a mullet.

Would recommend.

martymac

When i bought my surly karate monkey, i (quite happily) paid £550 for a frameset.
    To get anything that’s decent, and with some custom options for £400 looks like great value to me.

paton
    Free Member

Viewing 12 posts - 241 through 252 (of 252 total)

The topic ‘Marino custom frame – some progress!’ is closed to new replies.