Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • Marin Pine Mountain recall…what. the. flip
  • jayvee
    Free Member

Thanks for checking, yes that’s annoying. I’ve heard the forks flex a lot under breaking so I wouldn’t want to chance it. I had a look on the exotic website last night and there are also those full carbon forks based on the kinesis IX, they’re nearly £200 though so not worth it for this build imo. Shame on-one don’t do those 29er race forks anymore I think they may have worked.

Think I will get the replacement forks and try and sell the bike then buy a stache 🙂

GavinT
    Free Member

You might be better – I like the bike as it is, complete with its limitations. But as a base for upgrading – well, there are probably better options available.

flange
    Free Member

I’d second that – what I did wasn’t a cheap way of doing things and what I’m left with is a half decent hard tail. For half the money I could have bought a Sonder transmitter…

GavinT
    Free Member

…although…

If I was set on it then that Carbon Cycles monocoque fork with a tapered steerer might well do it. Not for me though – too attached to the colour coordination. I’ve got other bikes for being light.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d guess most alu crown/carbon forks will clear the 3″ tyre no problem (I have OOs, Pace and exotic).

Exotics are way stiffer than OO IME, though I prefer the latter for some cushion.

holburn
    Free Member

Hey. How are people getting on with the clearance between spokes and brake caliper?? I’ve just fitted my 2nd set of the “new” forks and I’m still not too happy with it. Marin suggested fitting a bigger rotor (so a 203mm on a steel rigid!!?) And Paligap (UK supplier) say they have had no other reports of this issue….. 1st set of new forks resulted in spokes hitting the caliper when riding. Anyone else noticed the same issue?

lister

I had to change the forks on 10 of these bikes. I have to say I didn’t have any issues with the clearance between the caliper and spokes. It’s snug I think but no actual contact on any of the bikes I did.
    Have you had a shop look at it?

holburn
    Free Member

Bought it from the last bike shop i worked in. Currently workshop manager at the bike shop i work in now. Were you swapping out forks on both 2016 and 2017 models? This 3rd set seem slightly better… been running 29″ wheels until i sorted this so haven’t had the 650+ wheel back in yet. Removed brake adaptor with caliper attached and refitted to new forks and i was maybe able to move caliper over by 1mm or so, might be enough but not so sure. Ideally, I’d source a rim where spoke holes are in centre of rim to try improve clearance but can’t afford that right now

GavinT
    Free Member

It’s certainly tight but I was able to set mine up ok. (2016 model)

flange
    Free Member

Thread resurrect!

So, I’ve ridden the bike…twice. Which isn’t a lot. However I’ve just entered the Thetford winter series so I’m going to use this rather than the Mondraker. Anyone know if I’ll be able to squeeze a set of 29er wheels in it? I’m mighty tempted by the carbon crossmax’s at Evans at the moment – they so pretty!

EDIT: Ignore me – I’ve just noticed two posts up that someone is already running theirs with 29ers in. I are dunce

GavinT
    Free Member

Hey, is that your bike I just spotted on Ebay Flange?

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Does anyone know the axle size on the 2016 model?
    Mate looking for some 29 wheels for his and wondering if a standard set of Q/R wheels will fit?
    Thanks,
    Max

boxelder

Standard QR must fit if an eXotic carbon fork works.

flange
    Free Member

GavinT – it was indeed. I’m just not using it and I’ve bought something else so I need to get shot. Didn’t sell in the end so looks like I’m keeping it!

Front end isn’t standard – its 110QR which is a bit of an oddity. Obviously you could convert a hope boosted front hub to QR but other than the OEM front wheel there isn’t a lot about.

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Marin Pine Mountain recall…what. the. flip’ is closed to new replies.