Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • Marin Pine Mountain recall…what. the. flip
  • flange
    Free Member

Cool – right, about to press the button. Would be nice if its a 44mm headtube as i’ve got a king headset I could use. However being Marin it’ll be 42.333mm or something…

flange
    Free Member

Forks and wheel bought. Maybe I’ll actually get to ride this weekend!

TimP
    Free Member

The RockShox Judy Is Back!

Nooooo!! Although with 30mm stanchions the Judy could be a bit whippy. Recons look cheap though

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Hi all,

Anyone here had anything fork flavoured back from Marin yet?

TimP
    Free Member

Nothing on the south coast

flange
    Free Member

Well, my new forks (rebas) turned up today along with a nice new shiny hope front wheel….which was standard 100mm and not boost. Despite it saying boost on the invoice it measures at bang on 100mm. CRC have been especially useless in returning my calls or sorting anything out so no riding AGAIN this weekend.

Sick of it now, I’m off to buy something else tomorrow…

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Thats shite Flange, hope you find something suitable. I’ve again posted a message on Marins Social Media asking about the fork recall and when can I expect it to be done. The post was deleted within 30 minutes. It wasn’t sarcastic, just a genuine question from a customer who has spent money on one of their bikes. Jesus Marin, just update us. Mine is still gathering dust with my LBS.

You’ve more chance of contacting the dead!

I hope everyone affected get their forks sorted and hopefully riding again soon. Disappointing.

flange
    Free Member

Bought something else…..so Marin Pine mountain for sale with two sets of forks, one that cracks and the other with a wheel that doesn’t fit. I’ve not had a Marin before and I’m sure as shit not buying another….

TimP
    Free Member

That sucks
    Luckily we have been doing a Matesraces and it has been dry enough for me to ride my FS, but it is annoying having to walk past it everyday.

matt_outandabout

Surely this is now a full refund job? Not fit for purpose, no bike to be ridden etc. Just start small claims case against the shop.

tjagain

wot Matt said

flange
    Free Member

Thing is, its through cycle2work so not sure how that works? Might stick a call in to wheelies who supplied it to see what the deal is.

In other news, CRC have been monumentally shit at refunding me for the front wheel (or sending out a replacement). They now want ANOTHER set of photos as they’ve ‘lost’ the last set. 1st time ever I’ve had issues with them but won’t be using them again..

madxela
    Free Member

Does seem very poor from Marin, I guess the LBS’s are equally naffed off as they are caught in the middle.

Maybe some mountain bike journos might enquire and do better than us mere mortals?

just a thought..hint hint

matt_outandabout

Maybe some mountain bike journos might enquire and do better than us mere mortals?

Oi, STW staff, can you make a call?

(I prefer the direct approach)

bodgy
    Free Member

Just landed at my LBS. No taper. Straight like Project Two forks. Yum!

[/url]

coomber
    Free Member

Still find that little brace horrible to look at. Sorry.

bodgy
    Free Member

Had them fitted. As far as I can tell the only difference is that they’ve moved the brake pipe cable-tie tabs up a bit and painted three little lines on. Apart from that . . . same. And they’re not straight – tapered as before.

Has to be said, I’m bored of the orange colour now – it’s quite visually distracting when riding. I’ll probably spray them grey to match the rest of the bike.

scotroutes

I’ll probably spray them grey to match the rest of the bike.

Careful with that. When you come to sell it potential buyers might be concerned that it’s the revised version of the forks. I guess if there are other obvious changes then it might be OK?

flange
    Free Member

Bodgy – apologies, do you mean that they are tapered, or that they’re not?

bodgy
    Free Member

flange – yes, they are tapered, as per the originals. The perspective in the photo – taken by my LBS – made me think they were straight. My mistake.

bodgy
    Free Member

scotroutes – yeah, i was thinking about exactly that, but I figure that I could always tell a potential buyer. The bike shop takes the frame number during in the process of the re-fit, so there’s some kind of paper trail somewhere if people are really that bothered.

iainc

If you got the bike on a C2W scheme you do not own it, you are renting it, usually for 12 months, after which you have the option to buy or return.

bodgy
    Free Member

Personally, I’m gonna keep mine ‘cos I really really like it. Bought it outright anyhow.

flange
    Free Member

Well, I’ve ordered ANOTHER set of Hope’s as I haven’t had chance to send the front back yet. Hopefully they’ll do a refund on the original front non-boost one sent by mistake. So out for delivery are a pair of Hope wheels which should finally fit the new Reba that’s waiting to go on….all of which coincides with an email telling me that the new fork should be here any day….

As Gary Barlow once sang….’just have a little…..patience….’

nairnster
    Free Member

Id its from chain reaction you have 365 day returns anyhow dont you?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

scotroutes – yeah, i was thinking about exactly that, but I figure that I could always tell a potential buyer. The bike shop takes the frame number during in the process of the re-fit, so there’s some kind of paper trail somewhere if people are really that bothered.

or take a photo of it pre-respray. I’ve seen this done with custom-spray motorbikes to reassure buyers down the line that it wasn’t a crash-repair job.

GavinT
    Free Member

I love the orange colour! Reminds me of my original Marin back in ’92.

Expecting my replacement forks in a day or two. Did everyone else have to kill their old ones? I crushed mine in a vice.

jayvee
    Free Member

Anyone worked out the front hub size? I want to get a rigid carbon fork and use the stock front wheel. Anyone done that or know one that fits?

GavinT
    Free Member

The rigid fork? It’s a standard 100mm hub isn’t it?

http://www.marinbikes.com/gb/bikes/description/2016-pine-mountain-1

The suspension ones have 110/15 maxle jobbies I think.

/edit – seems to change for the 2017 models. Best check what you have.
    http://www.marinbikes.com/us/bikes/description/2017-pine-mountain

flange
    Free Member

110mm QR I think on the new ones. Bike is mega now with the forks and decent wheels/tyres. Really pleased with it…

Oh, replacement forks still haven’t turned up

GavinT
    Free Member

I’ve got my forks. All good – they’re slightly heavier than the ones they replaced, they obviously fixed the problem by throwing more metal at it. 2kg now! Guess adding suspension probably saved you some weight!

flange
    Free Member

Yeah, its dropped quite a bit of weight especially as I’ve gone for 2.8’s and a set of Hope hoops too. That old rear wheel weighs a ton!

GavinT
    Free Member

Nice – that must ride great. I love mine as it is but it’s a weighty beast.

These upgrades must have cost as much as the bike though?

🙂

jayvee
    Free Member

I’ve got the 2016 rigid model. 2kg for the new forks? That’s a real anchor. Struggling to find any rigid carbon forks that can fit the original front wheel and headset. I’ll post if I go find anything.

GavinT
    Free Member

It does seem that most carbon forks with a tapered steerer also have a thru axle.

Might be easier to fit a reducing headset. They exist don’t they? Or did I dream it…

jayvee
    Free Member

I think they exist not sure though 🙂

In theory regular 29er carbon forks should work with the hub and headset, problem is the width of the tyres. Might be that there’s nothing out there, so it’s either live with the anchor or new wheel time 😥

flange
    Free Member

These upgrades must have cost as much as the bike though?

More than! However it does ride really nicely now and is quite playful, at least it was round Thetford….

GavinT
    Free Member

I’ve got one of those ‘Exotic’ 29er forks on another bike. I’ll have a look later and see if the tyre clears them or not. That would be a cheap way of doing it with the right headset/converter.

jayvee
    Free Member

Nice thanks

GavinT
    Free Member

Results are mixed…

Loads of room for the tyre:
    https://goo.gl/photos/PKiSoby4Zhx6sM3K9

BUT, the lockring for the disk fouls the dropout and the spoke clearance for the caliper is very tight.
    https://goo.gl/photos/9ijpwiM5cz41tyTK7
    https://goo.gl/photos/TETA2wngAKgzL2428

Now, I have a 160 rotor on my Unit so that second point may not be an issue with a 180mm but the first point is annoying. It’s only just touching but still…

(yes, I know the wheel is in the wrong way – different rotor size you see?)

exotic fork 790grams btw

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Marin Pine Mountain recall…what. the. flip’ is closed to new replies.