Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Maker/Electronic Geeks Assemble: Automated Toothpaste Dispenser
  • GrahamS

Highly random this one, but I generally encourage my 6yo daughter to do a bit “engineering”/making/tinkering. The other day she announced she had an idea for an invention: an automated toothpaste dispenser. 😆

She’s since mentioned it again and done some drawings, so I’ve offered to help her build “a prototype” as a nice little daddy/daughter project 😀

Obviously in terms of encouraging her, it would be good if it actually worked – or at least came fairly close.

So umm.. advice please?

I’m thinking something like a little LED/LDR light gate on the analog input to an Arduino which then drives a digital output high for a set time when the toothbrush head breaks the “beam”.

The output then turns on a transistor that activates a 6 volt peristaltic pump (I’ve already ordered this one from eBay).

Will that work?

Any alternate designs spring to mind (with a view to simplicity rather than functionality)?

hammyuk
    Free Member

There’s a Minions one available – works on a simple push to contact iirc.

(tooth)paste

GrahamS

There’s a Minions one available

Sssssshhhhhhhh!!

This is a COMPLETELY ORIGINAL invention that absolutely NO ONE has ever thought of before and in no way resembles an automated soap dispenser seen in public bathrooms everywhere 😉

(But thanks.. interesting that it apparently uses a vacuum pump)

Think I want to get some electronics involved though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Gary_M
    Free Member

You know those taps you get that have a sensor so the water comes out when you put your hands under the tap, well buy one of them and plumb in a giant vat of toothpaste rather than water 🙂

I’d image the consistency of toothpaste may causing you an issue for pumping. Might be better to adapt one of these with a plunger and sensor

or buy this and take it apart to see how it works similar to automatic soap dispenser I would think

andyl
    Free Member

take a look at the Dettol “no-touch” hand wash dispenser. It uses an optical sensor.

andyl
    Free Member

not available 😉

Currently unavailable.
    We don’t know when or if this item will be back in stock.

GrahamS

I’d image the consistency of toothpaste may causing you an issue for pumping.

Yeah that could be an issue. Don’t know what those little 6v pumps are capable of, and eBay isn’t too helpful there.

I know the 12v ones can deliver ~1.5bar of pressure so could always upgrade if we learn from the prototype that it needs more oomph. (Trying to teach her a bit of engineering methodology).

GrahamS

or buy this and take it apart to see how it works

No need they provide a helpful diagram. Motor turning a threaded rod to push up from the base by the look of it.

Insane that it requires special bespoke cartridges when one of those Colgate pump bottles would work pretty well in that design.

Murray

What about an Archimedes screw for the feed, with a gearbox to step down the motor. Optical sensor or micro switch with a relay to start the motor?

DezB
    Free Member

Make an ‘easy clean’ version of this –
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122324336621

hammyuk
    Free Member

andyl – Member
    not available

Available

pocpoc
    Free Member

Got one – good idea but poor product in the simple sense that the force required to push the brush forward is far too high for a 4-6 yr old and the brush easily jumps up off the shelf/pad thing leading to toothpaste everywhere!
    Also a pain to fully clean as the vavle thing has to be full of paste to function and inevitibly, being used by kids, it gets everywhere.

cranberry
    Free Member

I’d think that you might need to consider the nozzle and toothpaste drying out – if it does, you’ll need to pump the thick paste even harder.

GrahamS

What about an Archimedes screw for the feed

Interesting idea – but wouldn’t that mean we’d have moving parts in the toothpaste? So issues with sealing and hygiene.

Make an ‘easy clean’ version of this

Looks like a very similar manual lever mechanism to the Minions one.

I’d like to involve some electronics because… erm… engineering!

Cougar

If it were me, I’d do something that took the pumps Gary mentions as “cartridges” to load it. That way it’s trivial to refill it, and half of the engineering is done for you – you just need a sensor and something mechanical to push the thumb button. Also dodges the bullet of a malfunction dumping half a pint of toothpaste on the floor.

GrahamS

To be honest Cougar, I suspect it will see about as much real world use as the “skateboard for dolls” we designed last week (multiple sheets of cardboard laminated together with PVA with coffee pods for wheels and chopsticks for axles 😆 ). So refills are unlikely to be much of an issue.

Cougar

Perhaps not, but if you’re teaching design it’s a good principle to impart perhaps.

GrahamS

Yep true – not sure how I’d press the thumb button if I did that, they need a reasonable amount of force. Maybe little cam or something?

willard

This project needs MOAR LAZERS!!!

I was thinking a couple of lasers pointing in an X that, when the LDRs they point to _both_ break, triggers a motor to squish toothpaste down to the laser spot for a set time.

You could do that with an Arduino. Or, if you use a Pi Zero 3, it could wirelessly notify you when the tube of paste gets low.

GrahamS

Hmmm… maybe I can hook it up to our Alexa and make it voice-activated… 😀

Nah. She’s 6. I’d like her to roughly understand what the code does and right now a bit of ScratchJr is her limit. 🙂

Maybe in Mk 2.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Maker/Electronic Geeks Assemble: Automated Toothpaste Dispenser’ is closed to new replies.