Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Magura MT Trail?
  • spaniardclimber
    Free Member

I want to try something with more modulation than Shimano, I’ve used xt 8100 and current Deore 4 pot.

I want to stay with mineral oil based brakes, and weighting 73kg I don’t think I need 4 pot in the rear.

Anyone with MT Trail that can provide some feedback?

matt_outandabout

I’ve had MT4 and eldest_oab has MT5’s – the combo of which is MT Trail I believe.

We really like them. Powerful, just work and work and both Mt4 and Mt5 survive Alps, Mt4 with 90kg of me to stop…

They are a closer to (Magura thicker rotor) set up so do need a careful hand and can rub more. We’ve broken a lever pivot in a crash, but it’s would have destroyed a Shimano lever and body, we replaced lever and bushing bit. Good pads are an ‘order in before you need’ as they are a bit harder to come by. You can’t be ham fisted with them, particularly the screws into plastic/carbotecture.

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback, I wonder if MT 4’s might be good enough for me … might start with those in trail bike and if I need more power will move them to HT.
    Cheers

jonm81

I’ve got the MT5 front and MT4 rear so basically the trail but with 2 finger leavers. They are much, much nicer and more powerful than the SLX M7000s that now reside on my daughters Early Rider.

They do look and feel a bit plasticy but are the best brakes I have used since the old Magura Louises in the early 2000s. To be honest I’m not sure why I ever changed from using Magura and will be likely use them on all my bikes in the future.

Yet1man

I’ve got a set of these. A few points to consider….

The levers really make a difference, the HC 1 finger levers are a world away (better) than the standard alloy or plastic levers, be careful which they come with.

They can be a pain to bleed and not all shops are equipped or able to bleed these properly.

As mentioned above, the bleed screw is quite fragile, buy a couple of spares right from the start.
    Speaking of spares, don’t expect Hope availability or prices for spares. I’m not saying they are amazingly hard to get but they are certainly not as abundant as Hope, and quite a bit more expensive (eg £35 for a brake hose !!).

but… all things considered, once set up right and bled correctly, they are a good brake. I bought a set when on special offer and really like them – I’m normally a ‘Hope’ man.

transition1
    Free Member

I have MT5 on big bike & MT Trail on the trail bike. I got rid of all my shimano brakes & have gone to Magura I really like them, it you want 2pot front & rear there is the MT Sport.
    The Trial comes with the 1 finger HC lever which is a nice shape. They are very easy to bleed

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

I already have the bleeding kit as I have HS33 on trials bike, I’m aware of the bleeding screw fragility as the 33’s use the same screw.

I was initially considering Hope until I found out they used Dot oil…shame.

I’ve done loads of research and as you guys mention levers seem to make a difference, I couldn’t believe the prices for them: Loic’s are around £60 each, and HC3’s a bit less…but still..

Luckily the trails come with hc.

Apparently I also need to get Magura discs as they are wider

jedi

I have just bought some to try them. Will see if there are any issues very soon usually

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Love my Maguras! Had them for about 3 years now and so good. I can’t use Shimano’s now.

When I was in Finale most of the guides use Maguras, speaking to ours he was saying they were much more reliable, better for both the brake performance riding down but also surviving the shuttle runs up.

Single finger levers are good but I got on OK with the 2 finger levers too until it was my birthday and got the one finger.

The bleed can be a bit of a faff but I have the process dialled now so quite quick when I need to do it (about once a year).

PSA – The Magura Storm rotors eat brake pads so I have Shimano rotors which still stop good but make the pads last.

Apparently with the 4 pot you can use individual pads so you can mix and match too – sintered and organic on the same rotor for all conditions! Not tried it yet myself.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have them on the Bronson, they’re very, very good. I try not to compare to my previous brakes, as your comparing old worn out brakes to brand new, but i really canr recall either the M8000 or Guides being this good.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

They’re brilliant! ordered some for my Ventana lockdown build and have ordered 2 more pairs…
    I can’t understand the “hard to bleed” comments. They take about 5 mins to cut the hoses down, and work fine with XT rotors.
    And at £150 odd from Merlin, what’s not to like?

ads678

I’ve also had the MT trails for a couple of years. Great brakes. Bleed wasn’t too hard first time. Need to do the front again now though.

beagle
    Free Member

Great brakes. As above, I found spares pricey – I had a couple of things break on the lever, clamps which were ‘designed to fail’ in the event of a crash but spares hard to get.

‘Ventana lockdown build’ sounds interesting – any pics? What you building? 👍

icyseanfitz
    Free Member

Had mt7’s in my last Enduro bike, loved them, very good brakes.

Bought an mt5 for my HT and it is a good brake, only issue is I can’t get it to not rub the rotor.

bear-uk
    Free Member

5s with alloy levers on my ebike with a total weight of 115 kg and they work well most of the time. Stupid fast road braking makes them struggle a bit so might try the mixing the front pads idea.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

“‘Ventana lockdown build’ sounds interesting – any pics? What you building? 👍”

My old El Ciclon has been resurrected with DT EXM130 forks, butch wheels and a cheap dropper. Trying to find some 150mm, straight steerer forks and will fit with a 2 deg angleset to replecate the “The Path” edition…
    I have pics but can I get them on here….???? Phhhh….

nixie

@Suburbanreuben if you fancy tinkering I have a set of 150mm dtwiss carbon forks with a straight steerer and 20mm axle. Tinkering because I think the damper orings need changing.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Sounds promising Nixie. I’ve PM’d you….

matt_outandabout

Pads – eldest_oab is running Kevlar or Race Matrix Uberbike pads.
    A day on the Swiss DH track last week saw them rather burnt in appearance on the backing plate – but still stopping just fine.
    We’ve got some of the individual Clarks sintered and Magura green (soft?) and that seems a good mix.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Magura MT Trail?’ is closed to new replies.