Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Made a big mistake
  • onehundredthidiot

cheez0
    Free Member

Lovin how the roadies are telling you ‘you WILL learn to love it’

Just like bum sex.

Ditch it, lesson learnt. Buy mtb. Smile sooner rather than later.

pondo

I think road and off-road are just different parts of the same thing, I wouldn’t be without either. Done my first 100 mile ride on the road yesterday and Strava puts my max speed at 48mph on the descent to Chipping Camden, that was fairly exciting.

clubber
    Free Member

But you said you loved it last night, cheez0…

core

You should be able to sell it for over half I’d say, then get yourself a Voodoo or something similar, very good value for money and you’ll have loads more fun.

epicyclo

If it’s adrenaline rush you want, boy do I have just the bike for you!

The other day I was zooming down a steep hill in the rain. When the speed got up to 30mph, and with a corner coming up, I put on the brakes.

Pulled them on hard, nothing happened. The bike just kept going faster.

Even harder right up to the handlebars and it kept getting faster.

The adrenaline rush nearly stained my undies.

Apparently rod brakes don’t work too well in the wet, but luckily they eventually do and I managed to slow down to about 20mph for the corner. The speedo shows the max hit 37mph with the brakes full on.

So now I find this bike far too exciting, and you find yours too boring, how about a swap? Your roadie mates will be really impressed…

wwaswas

pah! call that scary.

I went down Ditchling Beacon sat in the front frame of one of these;

just after I finished my O Levels.

We were getting faster and faster as we went down and as all I could see was basically my knees and the road it was quite a rush.

When we got to the bottom I said to my mate; “Blimey that was a bit quick and what’s that burning smell?”

“Errm, the brake blocks caught fire half way down and weren’t working too well but I didn’t want to scare you so I kept quiet.”

being young we just laughed and got on with our day.

epicyclo

Yes, you win.

He should swap for that bike, because those things are really scary adrenaline rushy. The big basket is for your manly ornaments – you need big ones to ride one of those bikes down hills with a full load… 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ha, call that exciting?

I once donned my knee and elbow pads, put on my Met Parachute and then rode the black run at Llangdegla on my 150mm travel enduro bike.

Strava said I went upto 17mph, but it feels much faster due to the bumps and narrow trail.

DezB
    Free Member

A friend convinced me I would enjoy a road bike much more

Jeez, with friends like that…

wwaswas
    mattamomo
    Free Member

Ha
    Im gonna keep the road bike just for convienience and to not waste money
    Where can I find a good hardtail with either marked down price or second hand.
    Im looking around the 1000-1200 rrp with a good discount
    What about a cannondale trail sl 29er

cheez0
    Free Member

clubber – Member

But you said you loved it last night, cheez0…

Posted 12 hours ago # Report-Post

Yeah, but you were the taker, clubber ! 😉

I’d rather have bum sex than a **** road bike

clubber
    Free Member

I certainly “had” you..

Mind you that was after I’d offered to give you a road bike so I guess you are telling the truth. 😉

cfinnimore
    Free Member

It’s on. mattamomo This will end well for you.

N + 1 IS PROVED!

Man wants new bike. Has budget.

GO! GO! GO!

Genesis, innit.

eggshellblonde
    Free Member

The son of a friend of mine spent £900 on a road bike. Turned out he didn’t have the balls to ride it long enough to get fit enough to see some reward from it. Put it on fleabay and got £720. Pretty good return i’d say. Felt sorry for my mate. He knew that we all knew that he’d raised a little knobber. :mrgreen:

cfinnimore
    Free Member

eggshellblonde

Iam not a dad. Is “your son’s shitter than my son” parents version of “my dad’s harder than your dad”?

‘Mon parenthood.

eggshellblonde
    Free Member

Quite possibly but I have daughters so can’t say for sure 😉

Bregante
    senorj

right decision . genesis +1. 🙂

mattamomo
    Free Member

On-one and genesis both look decent
    which offers the most and which genesis should i get (if i went genesis) for downhilly and trail riding? Is the mantle the best suited?

wl
    Free Member

cheeso + 1

Sack the road bike – you’ll probably never grow to like it. Road and mtb are two entirely different sports appealing to different mindsets. Some folk have both mindsets simultaneously and ride both bikes. Those I know who ride both always say the mtb is fun and enjoyable, the road bike just a dull training machine. They also say road riders are generally odd and antisocial. I’m happy to take their word on this. No better way to ‘train’ for mtb than by riding an mtb, anyway.

Good luck with the sale. Give it away if necessary – save time and start enjoying yourself.

clubber
    Free Member

They also say road riders are generally odd and antisocial

What if you’re an mtber who road rides too (as they are). Do you do a Jeckyll and Hyde as you switch from one to the other 😀

Still I guess if you really want to listen to that kind of stupidity, you deserve to miss out 😉

wl
    Free Member

Nah, they’re still sound, they just avoid riding road with other – more typical – roadies, thus minimising the contact with oddballs and performance nuts. These guys I know have nothing to gain by knocking roadies, it’s just a general observation many of them have made over the years, independently of each other. I can’t argue with that because it backs up my own (admittedly limited) experience of road riders – i.e. bit more uptight, a bit less friendly when you nod at them, and driven by results and PBs rather than just the fun of being out and having a laugh. Oh, and sometimes a bit ill looking 😉

creedy
    Free Member

Except all pro riders road ride as part of there fitness training. I do both and enjoy both. But if I had choose it’d be the mtb every time 🙂 yeah them anti social road riders going round in them big groups chatting and eating cake. But I know what you mean.

mattamomo
    Free Member

Bump

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Made a big mistake’ is closed to new replies.