Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Machynlleth routes – that aren't the Climachx trail, or Mach 1/2/3
  • Ewan
    Free Member

Anyone got any GPS routes (or just good descriptions of) for trails around Machynlleth outside of the obvious Mach 1/2/3 ones and the Climachx trail. Ideally looking for something a bit wild / remote and with good singletrack?

Cheers
    Ewan

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Go over to mtbwales.com and have a look … joe's backyard might fit the bill. To be honest, if you get a map out and either head south or north of Mach' you'll find something worth riding. If you fancy something a bit remote feeling ride over to NYA past Nant y Moch.

CaptainBudget
    Free Member

Grab an OS map and explore the Dyfi forest (Climach trail is only a very small part of it), there's some really cool descents and singletrack in there. Just keep an eye out for MXers

Most of the decent descents come off the fire-roads, and the forest is huge so you could spend an entire day in there.

Far
    Free Member

I'd be very interested to hear if anyone's got any specific routes?

When you look at an OS map it always looks like it ought to be awesome but it's very hard to persuade your mates to dive 2 hours into Wales on the basis of "we'll just ride about in the woods; I'm sure we'll find something good."

sparkywalts
    Free Member

The best thing to do is post on http://www.abermtb.co.uk.

It is the Aberystwyth Bike Club and there are many people there who would know routes or go riding with you

Ambrose

Foel Fadian.

And ffs avoid Hengwm. It is a morasse.

dreednya

There is a google earth .kmz file for joe's Back Garden here

An interesting add-on would be the Figure of eight loop at Angler's Retreat (only 9-10 miles long). =http://www.ystwyth-mtb.co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=3&pos=-148[/url]. A trip out to Foel Fadian from Anglers Retreat via Glaslyn is always a good un, though would not want to ride the Fadian descent in icy conditions!

Are you local or heading over this way. You can always check out YstwythMTB at YstwythMTBas well as the aber Uni MTB site already mentioned.

Tastypixels
    Free Member

Hi Ewan
    There are 6 GPS routes HERE
    I live in Mach and there are certainly more than this.
    We are working on a new website with more a accessible route guide with more mapped routes.
    Watch this space…
    Mikey

Ambrose

I used to live in Rhiwlwyfan, Forge. Where are you living TP?

Tastypixels
    Free Member

Cae Crwn, on the Forge road

Far
    Free Member

That's great cheers guys; has anyone got a kml/gpx file of a route involving Foel Fadian, the descent looks awesome but the best way to build it into loop isn't obvious?

Also, how much overlap is there with that Joe's Backyard loop and the stuff at Nant Yr Arrian?

Ambrose

Cae Crwn- that's where I did my driving test.

dreednya

Joes Back Garden leaves Nant-yr-arian from the bottom of Drunken Druid, the section before High-as-a-kite and the Visitor Centre.

I'll have a look for my Foel Fadian GPS file – we did start and finish at Anglers Retreat and stopped at the Foel for about an hour looking for someones chain! He rode most of it without one and not noticed and we still haven't found it!

jonjon

We have a reletively new guide ut to Wales, Wales Mountain Biking Written by local boy Tom Hutton, it might be a bit of help for your Welsh exploration.

Far
    Free Member

dreednya – if you could have a look that would be great?

jonjon – thanks for the heads up; I've got the Lakes version of that book and its great but there's only 2/3 routes in the Welsh book that I've not done so was a bit reticent to splash out.

martyntr
    Free Member

You can always check out Ystwyth MTB

Yeah we don't bite…. give us a shout and we'll show you round..

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Machynlleth routes – that aren't the Climachx trail, or Mach 1/2/3’ is closed to new replies.