Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • MacBook trouble
  • novaswift
    Free Member

Replaced the hard drive in our daughters MacBook Pro in February 2017. This cost £170 at the Apple Store in Edinburgh  Turns out its duffed again and likely needs replaced.

How long are these things meant to last? Am I being unreasonable thinking that it should last longer than 19 months ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How long are these things meant to last? Am I being unreasonable thinking that it should last longer than 19 months ?

SSD or Spinning, whats the parts warranty?

Warranty covers the front end of the bathtub curve of failure

So the basic it blew up, between that and old age shit can go wrong. It’s luck and statistics there

mrmo
    Free Member

Which MacBook Pro? Yes normally they last longer but things do wear out.

novaswift
    Free Member

It was new in 2013. Maybe it’s time to throw it in the skip

thecaptain
    Free Member

I would at least try throwing yourself on their mercy, you might get lucky. If you get nowhere you can then escalate to pitchforks if you feel like it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The disc failed not the laptop – as the graph above shows shit goes wrong mostly at the start or the end, but it can go pop in the middle for no real reason though it may seem to be linked to an important deadline or impending bill. Only just retired my 2012 windows laptop on original drives etc so no reason it should be dead just unlucky, you got late bathtub on the first and tail end of early on the replacement

novaswift
    Free Member

Ill see what they say regarding warranty. Maybe a slight kneecapping would help rather than pitchforks 😄

mattyfez

What sort of drive do macs use?

Hard drive failure is pretty rare. admittedly I have a pc but some of my backup drives are getting on for ten years old.

For £170 I would hope they’d at least put a 500gb SSD in it.

novaswift
    Free Member

I’m a complete technophobe so here’s the parts description on the Genius Bar repair sheet

Flex Cable ,500GB Hard drive, 2.5″ ,5400, Sata . What that means I have no clue sorry

geuben
    Free Member

Ouch. £170 for that is steep, even if you factor in reinstalling OSX.

novaswift
    Free Member

I’m feeling slightly done .

Cougar

I’d expect to pay £40 for a mechanical drive with double that capacity.  You can get a 500GB SSD for less than £100.  Unless the MBP is a particularly tricky teardown to swap the drive then you’ve had your pants pulled down.

I’d a) chance my arm with Apple going “this isn’t good enough” and b) if that fails pick up a Samsung Evo from Scan.

**** knows why they needed to sell you a new cable.

Nah.  The laptop I’m typing on right now is 2008 vintage.

Cougar

… hell, I’m throwing out 500GB laptop hard disks right now.  I’ll bang one in a Jiffy bag in exchange for a 12 month STW premier subscription or an equivalent donation to charity, your choice (unless the WEEE guys have already been and taken them).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘MacBook trouble’ is closed to new replies.