Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • M9100 vs M8100 vs M540’s
  • r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I returned several pairs of M9100 XTR XC race pedals last year as the dust seals kept popping out after literally 5 mins or so. I got a refund in the end and bought some Bontrager Comp SPD pedals instead. I wish I read the reviews on these properly too… they’ve developed a reluctance to let you unclip. They’re a real pain, quite literally.

Anyway I’m looking to move back to Shimano but have a few questions –

Does anyone know if the seal issue has been resolved with the M9100’s?

Do the XT M8100’s suffer from the same problems with the dust seals?

Should I just buy some M540’s that everyone raves about instead?

simondbarnes

I’d just get M520s

qwerty
    Free Member

I’d just get M540s

jamj1974

I’d go Time. I know that’s not what you asked – but I found them the best and available at various price points. The other 100% reliable pedals are Shimano 737’s or 525’s…

benpinnick

I’d buy some Hope XCs. Only 10g or so heavier than XTR and will take a beating. And of course you can buy every little part for ever too. They’re 2-3 times the price of the 540 SPDs but I would say its worth it.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

4 posts and 4 different recommendations 🤣

Thanks guys. I forgot to add that I need to stick with Shimano compatible cleats which unfortunately rules out Hope and Time etc.

Yak

520s or 540s for the posh look. No performance difference.

benpinnick

I forgot to add that I need to stick with Shimano compatible cleats

Maybe you could replace out the ones you have 😉 I had Shimano’s for the longest time but now have gone all hope. They are _that_ good.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I occasionally use some Assioma duo power meters with some bodged Wellgo pedal bodies on them which are only compatible with SPD cleats so it’s going to have to be Shimano compatible I’m afraid!

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got 5 pairs of M8000 XT pedals of various mileages, one brand new sat in my tool box and they’re all in one piece, as they’re not massively different mechanically to the M8100 ones I’d be buying them if I were you.

Between them they’ve done 4 seasons of CX and the lovely careful washing and maintenance regime that goes with it, literally thousands of km’s on 3 different MTB’s over the past 6 years and survived 3 years on my eldest’s bike with all the care and attention a child gives when placing their bike down on the ground.

intheborders
    Free Member

540’s for me, just nicer than 520’s and barely dearer.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

@steve_b77 I currently have some M8000 and M9000’s. I’ve had them for donkeys years but both are finally showing signs of giving up. I’d replace them with the same again if I could.

It’s the newer M8/9100’s that I’m sceptical about the dust seals on. Everyone I know of with M9100’s has the issue but I haven’t heard much noise about the M8100’s which is a good thing I guess but I think the axels and seals are the same so I’m struggling to see why they would be ok if the M9100’s aren’t.

Sell me your unused M8000’s please 😃

chestrockwell

I have a pair of the XT SPD’s with the platform and they have been ace over the 3 or 4 years I’ve had them. Proper fit and forget.

Saying that, I’ve also got various different era of M5XX and they all do the job perfectly well.

hillsplease

M540s. 17.5 stone, clumsy and enthusiastic, plus riding about 9000 mi/yr. They are the cockroach of bike kit and simply refuse to die. Apart from the one I bent crashing, but I did have to go to hospital, so a score draw…….

steve_b77
    Free Member

Sell me your unused M8000’s please 😃

I would, but then I’d have to …… 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘M9100 vs M8100 vs M540’s’ is closed to new replies.