Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)
  • M6 Carlsile average speed cameras catch
  • Trekster

5000 speeders in 5wks

So watch your speeeeeed 🙁

friendsandfamily
    Free Member

They must be rolling in it! Would that not be £350,000 in fines they have generated! That would go towards another polititions expenses then! Nice one!

scottyjohn
    Free Member

I got caught on the A9 going North last week, 4 mobile units along the road, and because the road keeps switching from single to dual carraigway, the speed limit jumps from 60 to 70 all the time, and you forget to adjust your speed.
    Absolute money grabbing w*nkers

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Oh and dont get me started on the state of the roads either! 😀

blades2000
    Free Member

The article on the BBC says

In total, 5,569 motorists were caught, but only those who drove faster than 60mph – about 2,800 people – will be prosecuted because of limited resources.

So you can get away with 59MPH then? doesn't seem to make sense to me.

And I do wonder if they were working all the time or if at night they stopped working and as such how many people were caught over night.

Kit
    Free Member

and you forget to adjust your speed.
    … Absolute money grabbing w*nkers

LOL! Are you serious!? Hahahahahhahahaha!

Trekster, I drove through those roadworks a few weekends back and couldn't believe folk were blatantly putting the foot down to overtake. If you're too thick to spot a camera after you've been warned in BIG SIGNS then you deserve what you get…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If you're too thick to spot a camera after you've been warned in BIG SIGNS not to break the speed limit through roadworks, then you deserve what you get…

There, fixed it for you.

But, your original point is also valid Kit.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

I dont mind about the roadworks speed limits but those mobile vans are just a money machine! No signs, no warnings, and they dont even have signs to indicate the change in speed limit between the different sections of the road. I came round the corner behind a truck so couldnt see the van in time before I realised I was now on a single carraigeway, about 500metres from the dual carraigeway I came off! Done for 71 in a 60 zone 🙁

coffeeking
    Free Member

I dont mind about the roadworks speed limits but those mobile vans are just a money machine! No signs, no warnings,

You shouldn't be speeding, it's farcical that they have to put limit/camera signs near cameras anyway, the standard road signs should be fine!

and they dont even have signs to indicate the change in speed limit between the different sections of the road.

That would suggest that there's either no change, or that they're acting illegally and you should warn them of it.

There's no excuse for being caught speeding. While they may well be cash generating machines, they're only enforcing the laws that you should be abiding anyway, you're bang to rights if you get caught – grow up and accept the punishment.

before I realised I was now on a single carraigeway, about 500metres from the dual carraigeway I came off!

All that you're saying here suggests you have the observational skills of a blind rat.

antigee

I came round the corner behind a truck so couldnt see the van in time before I realised I was now on a single carraigeway

a point well made

scottyjohn
    Free Member

coffeeking, you are probably quite used to hearing this, but Ill say it anyway, your a dickhead. There I have now lowered myself to your level by returning your offensive toned post. Breakfast now me thinks 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

Awww, someone pointed out that he's in the wrong and he doesn't like it, poor little baby 😉 None of the above was offensive, just observational, something you seem to struggle with 😆 I'm not saying I don't speed, or that I'm not likely to get caught at some point and will probably find it frustrating, but I wouldn't be whinging about it if I did as it would either be my own stupidity and/or my own lack of observation that caused it!

davidrussell
    Free Member

I came round the corner behind a truck so couldnt see the van in time before I realised I was now on a single carraigeway

how close were you to the back of the truck? If you cant see his mirrors he cant see you.

Also, if you had merged from dual into single carriageway you surely noticed the lanes merging, hatching / road markings / end of dual carriageway signs? Not to mention the oncoming traffic in your lane?

If not, let me know the next time you're on the A9 and i'll avoid it.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Eh no, I definitely noticed that your a dickhead, but get your point that that doesnt take a lot of observational skills lol

coffeeking
    Free Member

Eh no, I definitely noticed that your a dickhead, but get your point that that doesnt take a lot of observational skills lol

Ahhh adding immaturity to your lack of observation I see 😉

[edit]and let me know where abouts in glasgow you live and work, so I can avoid riding/driving near you please[/edit]

iain1775
    Free Member

Money spinning cash cows yes but….
    if you can't tell the difference between a dual and a single carrageway road and their respective speed limits without big signs to tell you then I would suggest with 3 points and £60 you are getting off very lightly
    Your frankly not safe / clever / observational / concentrated enough to be driving

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Im not the one taking the time to "quote" other posters threadsjust because he was having a bit of a rant. At the end of the day, everyone goes little over the speed limit now and again, and if you cant have a quick rant about it on a forum for like-minded people without being flamed its a sad day. But hey ho, Ill be the bad guy for the day 😈 lol

coffeeking
    Free Member

Well at least you accepted the prize of bad guy of the day, that's pretty big of you, so I'll climb down off my moral horse and shake your hand for that at least 🙂

kevonakona
    Free Member

THere are also definite rules about where they can and cannot site the "trap" if it was on a corner that is a definite no (as far as my aged memory stretches).

iain1775
    Free Member

…and SJ if your up the arse of a 'truck' so close you cant see the camera van then given isaid truck was probably limited to 55mph anyway something tells me if you got done then something about your story isnt 100% true, you couldnt have been that close to the truck or with speed differences you would have been underneath it 😉
    You just didnt see the camera van, or you were trying to get in front of the truck before the end of the dual section and had your foot down?

antigee

forum for like-minded people

people with a common interest maybe

iain1775
    Free Member

if you cant have a quick rant about it on a forum for like-minded people without being flamed its a sad day.

This is a forum for mountain biking mate not ignorant speeding boy racer nobs so don't tar us all with your brush (there, now we are like minded – we both use petty insults)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh dear, Scottyjohn is

scottyjohn
    Free Member

lol yeah Ive been virtually owned my day is now ruined lol

scottyjohn
    Free Member

And Iain mate, I think you need to have a word with your therapist, the anger management isnt working, and calling someone a nob (spelled Knob I believe) on a forum isnt really cool mate. Wind it in theres a good boy

flange
    Free Member

Jesus wept, 'ignorant speeding boy racer nobs ' is a bit strong isn't it?

You can't complain about being caught on a camera if there is plenty of warning (which there usually is) and at the end of the day, there is a speed limit and all these are doing is enforcing it. Its the law, the cameras are there to enforce it – they shouldn't really have to give you a warning.

HOWEVER, quite why they need to enforce a 50mph limit on a section of carriageway thats still three lanes and just as wide as it was before (I'm thinking M3 here) is beyond me. Additionally, the variable limits on the M25 are a complete joke, they change between 50 -> 60 -> 50 -> 60 between each gantry so the traffic has no idea what speed it should be doing. to me thats more dangerous than sitting at 80mph and looking at the road rather than an overhead gantry and your speedo.

davidrussell
    Free Member

SJ – you'll be getting done again soon by the grammer police if they catch you. 🙂

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Trekster – Member
    5000 speeders in 5wks

So watch your speeeeeed

Aren't these average speed cameras the ones that were debunked on STW a couple weeks ago, if you change lanes in the speed monitored section the technology can't keep track of that??

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/do-they-really-work-average-speed-cameras-in-contraflow

soulrider
    Free Member

I drive the A9 all the time (Inverness to Perth) – thank the lord for Cruise control…

but I know what scottyjohn is talking about.. with the camera's sat just after Dual Carriageways.. has made me very alert to what speed I am doing as the road goes back to single carriageway.
    and thank the lord for Cruise control..

davidrussell
    Free Member

I'm guessing thats why the camera is sitting there, because they know people boot the tits off it to get by the slow traffic on the dueller and fail to slow down in time to get back in / or think they can overtake one more before pulling in.

I think there is a safety element to the camera placement in this case.

trail_rat
    Free Member

all the changes from single to dual and vice versa are sign posted with speedlimit changes.

no objection to folk making progress on a clear road(fwiw i have a vehicle that will barely do the speed limit never mind break it) but speeding through road works boils my piss – its not to slow you down its to make it safer for the workies ….. a large contractor my dad worked for actually went as far as to say any employee caught speeding through roadworks in a company vehicle would be instantly dismissed – not sure how that would stand up in court but id say its pretty similar to me getting up and throwing a shot put down the office – it might hurt someone it might not …. either way i wouldnt expect to have a job

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

davidrussell – Member
    SJ – you'll be getting done again soon by the grammer police if they catch you.

Grammar, not grammer.

*Wanders off muttering about the decline of civilisation as we know it*

davidrussell
    Free Member

lol, touche 🙂

I'll never make it into the ranks of STW pedant legend then.

antigee

SJ – you'll be getting done again soon by the grammer police if they catch you

The grammar police did spot the lack of an apostrophe "your knob" but the perp' got off because he was only speed typing and not a danger to anyone

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Touché, not touche.

Do I have to correct everything for you?

😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

HOWEVER, quite why they need to enforce a 50mph limit on a section of carriageway thats still three lanes and just as wide as it was before (I'm thinking M3 here) is beyond me.

Because lanes size and number is not the only defining factor in speed selection, things like bend radii, what's at the side of the road, have they had to remove barriers temporarily, are there workers in the road at some point during the day, have they had to put down temporary road surfaces, have they narrowed it to 1 lane further up and occasionally that causes it to back right up… the list goes on, but people rarely think about them TBH.

iain1775
    Free Member

scottyjohn
    I work collegue of mine was killed on the A9 a couple of years ago and two others seriously hurt, he had only been driving a few weeks – head on collision with an idiot that was booting it along trying to overtake a lorry before the end of the dual carrageway and failed to pull back across in time
    I think that proves the case for speed camera vans at the point in question, and the case for more observation and concentration, the use of both would have meant you noticed the road had become a single carrageway and noticed the van with a big blacked out window

Next time your complaining about 3 points on your license just bear in mind that you are at least still around to use your license

And as for anger management and calling people (k)nobs then I refer you to your earlier post refering to coffeking as a 'dickhead' 🙄

davidrussell
    Free Member

CFH – I actually wrote touch me, but I mistyped it. 🙂

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Oh dear, most of you really wouldn't like what I'm CAD modelling right now….

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Iain, sorry about your friend mate, its not good to lose someone like that. I was sitting in the slow lane of the carraigeway as I came to the end of the dual section, and the truck was doing roughly the same speed as me so I didnt cut in or anything, I had been behind the truck for a while. It was just the curve of the road is very gentle at that point, and the truck obscured my view. I suppose the fact that the truck and the cars behind me were all doing the same speed, that it slipped my mind to slow from 70 to 60, and yes Im in the wrong. On the OP, I do agree that speed limits in roadworks are important as there is a definite safety issue there for the guys working.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘M6 Carlsile average speed cameras catch’ is closed to new replies.