Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Lyrik creaking sound
  • pitcherpro
    Free Member

On my last ride out i noticed a dry creaky sound when i was pedalling up singletrack climbs. Upon further inspection i have found it is coming from the fork Lyrik solo air and seems to be worse on the initial 1/4 of the travel.
    Has anyone else come across this ?
    I had them TFTuned serviced in Sept.

flowerman
    Free Member

May be worth checking how tight the headset is done up. If it is loose then from experience it does seem to creak more in the first inch or so of travel.

pitcherpro
    Free Member

Flowerman , I know what you mean about the headset as I’ve encountered that before !! This happens even with the bike upsidedown and I gently push the fork lowers. I can hear / feel the dry creak noise in the lowers .

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mine creak. Same bike, same fork (But coil)
    The problem on mine is that the seat for the crown race is slightly too small, so the crown race is a tiny bit too loose. When I get round to it, Loctite bearing fit should sort it. It’s worth a look!

Bagstard
    Free Member

Possibly the CSU is becoming unbonded?! Hopefully not as this requires a whole new CSU, covered by warranty if new.

Tracey

We have a 2 step air that developed a creak last summer. We couldnt find it anywhere. Local bike shop managed to find it comming from where the steerer joins the top of the forks. Got new uppers fitted under warranty. Good job it was found just before our Alps trip.

messiah
    Free Member

When Lyriks first appeared there were quite a few comments on forums about creaking CSU’s that ended up requiring a warranty replacement… it’s one of the reasons I have a Fox 36.

LoCo
    Free Member

As poddy says maybe slightly undersize crown race seat, or the bond between steerer tube and ‘yoke’, you can check this by removing the forks clamping the steerer in a vice (soft jaws to stop it marking the steerer!) and rocking them back and forth using the lowers to see if it makes a sound.
    Feel free to give us a call if you require any further advice. 😀

pitcherpro
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice so far , tonight I’ll remove it from the bike and check .
    To me it definitely feels in the lowers as if its dry , I did notice that the adjustment on the rebound feels odd and will turn then won’t turn. Maybe that could be the culprit?

pitcherpro
    Free Member

Well after stripping the lowers i found there only seemed to be a few drips of oil from the right leg ! Think that could be the problem

ryreed
    Free Member

Hope it is the lowers. I had a creaking which was the CSU. Just out of warranty but SRAM were VERY good about a replacement as I was original owner.

bwaarp
    Free Member

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand…..this thread is why I want a pair dual position air 140 to 180mmmm 5lb Boxxers…

When someone invents such a fork, I will gladly dump my single crowns the day they are released.

pitcherpro
    Free Member

ryreed how did you pinpoint it to the CSU ? Just so i know to check whilst its apart!

sherry
    Free Member

I had this on two different forks that turned out to be the stantion loose in the crown and a steerer loose in the crown. Both replaced under warranty. Everyone kept saying it was nothing on both occasions! It might be something minor but check it properly. If the fork fails it will be at least new teeth.

sv

Mmm might check mine too…

ryreed
    Free Member

ryreed how did you pinpoint it to the CSU ? Just so i know to check whilst its apart!

Put the steerer in a vice (padded/rubber face) with the fork horizontal. Put a bit of pressure on the lowers, or to be certain take the lowers off and apply pressure to the stanchions directly. I heard a clear ‘clicking’ sound coming from the yoke.

I sent my forks into SRAM via a dealer and SRAM said that whilst the forks were out of warranty they would replace the CSU and do a service for their standard service charge (approx £90). What I got back was a new fork with my damper inserted. New CSU, air spring, lowers (and obviously bushings/seals etc). well worth the £90 to my mind. They were OEM on a commencal I had from late 2009, I had reciepts and photos of them installed.

HTH

Edit: yep, as per Loco advice above.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Lyrik creaking sound’ is closed to new replies.