Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Afan – probably been done before
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Video

So, they’ve built a BMX track at Afan – what on Earth does that have to do with mountain bikes?

wonnyj
    Free Member

Looks like fun. Might get out of bed for that on Sat morning.

nickjb
    Free Member

That looks great fun. Thanks for the PSA, must head back over there sometime soon.

jam-bo

looks nice.

got a meeting in cardiff soon that I might have to chuck the bike in the back of the car for.

40mpg

Wouldn’t mind rolling round that (wheels firmly on ground). Followed by W2 – is it all open now?

Better than the never-ending slop round here.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Looks good to me.

Cant quite work out if this is the “adult skills area” or part of the new bits of the Wall or a mix of both.

Either way i’ll be on it soon.

danjthomas
    Free Member

Mikey74 if you dont like it dont ride it. Leave it to the people who appreciatte it to wear it out.

mikey74
    Free Member

OK, maybe a bit harsh, and I am sure it is fun to ride, but it is essentially a BMX track.

chiefgrooveguru

If you have to ask, you’ll never know…

Looks like a lot of fun! 🙂

M1llh0use
    Free Member

thats next weekends ride sorted then!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mountain biker complaining about trails being built. Only on stw. Looks fun, I’ll be in Cardiff working after new year, need to check that out.

mikey74
    Free Member

It’s not about that trail per-se, I just fear all built trail centre trails may end up like that. They seem to be going that way.

LoCo
    Free Member

That’s the location for the Loco Tuning christmas ride sorted then 😀

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Oh great, somewhere else to show up a lack of skill!!

Looks fun, but I’ll apologise now to anyone who gets caught behind me!!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

They are going that way, it would seem, but it does make sense. Why build two or 3 different grades of trail when you can build one trail that can be ridden by everyone in the style and at the speed they choose?. Beginners can ride that, and guys like roman sorrell in the video can ride it. Makes financial sense.

LoCo
    Free Member

I think it’s a bike park AND new section on Y Wal (the wall)

if you could all hold off riding it till after Christmas, that would be great so we get to ride virgin trails 😉

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I didnt realise that Afan forest was the preserve of mountain bikers only, and presumably just those riding man made trails. Get with the times, it’s what blue graded trails are all about nowadays 😉

ryanctj
    Free Member

Had a walk around this the other day, it looks great. The opening shots are just a small bit of trail that links 373 to Graveyard, but the skills area is a valuable addition. There is a circle of large boulders which would require (IMHO) a high degree of technical skill to negotiate, wooden north shore style sections, and a variety of smooth tabletops and berms. I can’t see how this is anything but a good thing for Afan, it will be great for riders to practise skills before ending with Zig Zags. Don’t we all want to be better riders? Well done Cognation, can’t wait to get up there.

MrAgreeable

I just fear all built trail centre trails may end up like that.

It’s a bike park trail with what look like some fairly large jumps. Making it 18″ wide and peppered with random rocks wouldn’t be particularly safe or enjoyable.

Cwm Rhyader is a great example of a different trail by the same builder which looks and feels a lot more “natural”.

grum
    Free Member

Looks ace. Very nicely shot video too. Stop your moaning FFS!

scant
    Free Member

shaggy, wanna ride the new trails this sunday?

wrecker
    Free Member

Apparently plans for the new bike park at Merthyr are doing the rounds;
    17 trails, campsite, cafe & shop, 260 space car park. Apparently it’s hoooge!

Where’s that BMX track at Afan then? Top, bottom, Argoed or Glyn site?

AlexSimon

Looks ace!

ryanctj
    Free Member

Where’s that BMX track at Afan then? Top, bottom, Argoed or Glyn site?

Bottom end. It’s situated next to Bryn Bettws Lodge just before the final descent of The Wall.

wrecker
    Free Member

Has it replaced the 4X track?

ryanctj
    Free Member

No, it’s a Cognation project and located in the woods close to the lodge, although it has nothing to do with them I believe.

wrecker
    Free Member

Ah, ta. Think thats saturday sorted 😀

SOAP
    Free Member

^ My thoughts as well roll on Saturday 🙂 looks fun and a great addition

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

It was only revealed to me a couple of days ago that I now live about an hour and half away from Afan…since folk are talking about checking it out on Saturday would anyone mind showing me around whilst they’re at it?

wrecker
    Free Member

It a possible from me, roadie. I’ll be travelling up from Bristol. Drop me a PM.

pedlad

Saw it up close a few weekends ago (we were good boys though and didn’t ride it. I think it’ll be a great addition to the wall / W2. A bit of smooth berm/jump action as a fillip to the rocky wall descent

gbss
    Free Member

I’ve got the day off on tuesday, going to head up and ride early, want to do white/ywal and check out the new skills area too. Anyone up for a ride?

cheers_drive

Off to Afan next weekend. Looking forward to giving this a go, even if the wheels hardly leave the ground

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Wrecker yes that trail centre is already being built in Gethin forest 2 miles from my house gonna be awesome 😀

philwarren11
    Free Member

I’ll be there in morning nice and early, be rude to live so close and not check it out. 🙂

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Well done Cognation – looks excellent!

wrecker
    Free Member

Get Penhydd back to its former glory and Afan will truly be back.
    I’d love to see some steep techy stuff up there though.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

So did anyone go today?

Konastoner
    Free Member

Won’t be long there’ll be Alpine chair lifts and french accents in the Garw Valley LOL 😀

simondbarnes

That looks bloody ace

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Afan – probably been done before’ is closed to new replies.