Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Lynskey
  • haggis1978

Any Lynskey owners out there who still have their frames intact? If i am to believe internet chat they all break but that cant surely be true. Theres a huge Lynskey owners thread over on MTBR and they seem fairly happy with their bikes. I am in the process of buying a Lynksey built Kona frame hence the question. The ones that i have seen online that have broken seem to have had most of their problems around the seat tube/top tube junction. I understand that from 2011 onwards Lynskey has been building their frames with a 27.2 internal diameter seattube as opposed to the 31.6 which i think is to strengthen this area. can anyone confirm or deny this for me please?

I know that some have broken at the dropout but the Kona has different dropouts from the original clover leaf design which i think was the one apparently prone to breaking plus surely if you build the amount of frames Lynskey does some of them must break 😕

banginon

I’ve had my Ridgline SS for a year and a bit and it’s mint – ‘cept for the ding in the top tube from ride number one.

I’m kinda only just getting the ‘at one’ with the bike feelings now that I’ve got the right bits on it.

I love my bike 🙂

gamo
    Free Member

Ti456 here with no probs!

MarinNo8
    Free Member

I treated myself to a Marin Team Titanium 20th anniversary frame back in march 2007 as a 30th & wedding present. Completed three solo Mountain Mayhems (2x rigid, 1x fs) numerous Merida’s, The Darby Dare last may ect ect. Been very pleased with it. It’s built lightish but with dependable components due to the rather weighty engine! Have noticed other peoples issues but, touch wood, everything has been cool so far. I think you’ll always find someone who has a negative opinion about something.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

They have lifetime warranty so even if they crack its no big issue. The Raijin is pretty heavy for Ti so probably overbuilt to Kona spec – I wouldn’t worry or be put off.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

My cooper road bike is still intact (touch wood), and i’m a fair old lump to be riding it 😕

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Another Lynskey 456ti here, no problems,

Latter “brake brace” version.

I am aware of a few earlier 456ti’s that broke though. Non brake brace versions. Whilst they may have been prettier, I’ll happily stick with my stronger version thanks.

the_lecht_rocks

i have the ti456 lynskey pre-bridge, no probs but maybe for sale………..

CHB

I have a Lynksey Planet X ti sportive frame. Its a thing of beauty and will never be sold (or ridden given the last months track record!)

shortcut

Like this.

bol

No problems with my Lynskey Planet X Ti Sportive (which will be for sale soon as its a bit small for me), or my Lynskey Cotic Soda. My non-Lynskey Ti bike did break however.

nickf
    Free Member

Original Ti456

Unbroken, despite my best efforts

trail_rat
    Free Member

2010 TD-1 still in tact here – despite writing off a pair of pace rigids 😀

bugcab
    Free Member

2010 Ridgeline LT frame looks as good as new, stickers a bit scuffed!

Looked at the Raijin myself but got impatient, post some pics when built.

haggis1978

Cheers guys I’m a bit reassurred by your experiences. It was one of those buy now think later scenarios. Does anyone know any info about the seat tube sizing changing?

jimw
    Free Member

2010 Lynskey built Ragley Ti still OK

bol

Lynskey tend to put an aluminium sleeve in their seat tubes now, which means a smaller dieter seatpost, but less cracking at the seat tube – top tube junction.

ronburgundy

I have a 2011 Pro 29 and mine does have the insert in the seatube so it uses a 27.2 seatpost. I am pretty sure that this is was changed to stop them cracking.
    I also beleive that it was the old clover leaf dropouts that broke and they dont use them anymore.
    I am very happy with mine and would definitley recommend them!

Keva
    Free Member

original 2008 Ti456 here, no problems with mine.

Kev

nosemineb
    Free Member

I’ve had 2, a 2010 procross cyclocross and a 2011 pro 29 sl.
    Used them both for over a year each and as my only bike so used 5 days a week. No issues. Lovely bikes and wouldn’t hesitate to get another.

cqed
    Free Member

lynskey m240 from mid 2011 for me, with no problems.

that said, my recent xc results suggest that i am going far too slow to do any damage to the bike.

go for the lynskey!

Rik
    Free Member

Original non braced Ti456 fine here – mine was from the first batch and the one of first ever sold. So I’ve had it a while now and gets plenty of hard use in the Peaks.

The only ones I’ve seen crack of the Ti456 were from the owners using a stupidly big 200mm rotor on the rear of a hardtail – god knows why!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Two Ti 456’s and an Orange Vit-T; all snapped.

Never again.

haggis1978

So where did they snap Scott?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Lynskey’ is closed to new replies.