Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Lowa Recon boots – anyone used them?
  • Premier Icon manvstarmac
    Free Member

I’m after waterproof winter walking boots (dog walks up to about 5 miles on generally muddy and occasionally very wet routes) and Lowa Recons were recommended by a self confessed “military man” I spoke to on Dartmoor.

He did say not everybody got on with their height, but he felt it helped to keep your feet dry.

Any thoughts on these (or alternatives). TIA

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

a self confessed “military man”

Nae luck 🙂

Premier Icon rogermoore

Do not have the Recons but have Renegade wide fit. Got them a few years back, after struggling for a year or two with a pair of Meindls which were a touch too thin and never gave. Been great, no rubs, leaks and super comfy. Showing no signs of age really and they are regularly used. I would recommend Lowa based on my few years of use – wide fit has been great for me.
    RM.
    Edit: Had an action man has a kid, if military credentials are required!

Premier Icon coynie09
    Free Member

Yep have some for the same reason (dog walking) comfy from day 1 about 5 year old now boots still waterproof i have had them resoled & as long as you keep them dubbed you never have any problems

Premier Icon aphex_2k
    Free Member

I thought dubbing was a bit old skool? I always thought it softened the stitching and reduced the boots waterproof ness?

Premier Icon ElShalimo

Dubbin softens the leather and adds a shine to it. Be careful as not all dubbin is made the same way and has the same ingredients. Some can damage stitching and others are fine.

Don’t go on YouTube or you’ll spend hours watching misguided people making dubbin from lard, urine and God knows what else!

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Pretty much any decent (I prefer leather tbh) walking boot will do for 5 mile muddy dog walks. I use Grainger wax on mine, it’s good but does need frequent application.

Maybe I need to buy a deep fat fryer, and they’ll last forever!

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog

It all depends if they fit your feet.

Premier Icon onewheelgood

Also a Renegade wearer here, best boots I ever had. Comfy, still waterproof. Military connection: I have a daughter in the Army.

As for dubbin, our local (very good) boot shop recommends Zamberlan Hydrobloc.

Premier Icon TiRed

Five miles? Get a decent pair of Aigles and be done with it.

Premier Icon aphex_2k
    Free Member

Haix are worth a look too. Probs get a pair for fifty quid. Perfect dog walking boots!

Premier Icon Scapegoat

Which Meindls did you find too narrow? I’ve tried two of their wider fit versions, the Dovre gtx which have a wider than normal last, mine were the shorter version, not the 11″ high leg one, but they were still a bit cramped in the toebox. Their Guffert boot is my favourite, and I’m on my second pair now, as the toebox is much roomier.

They ain’t cheap, but I wear them for a couple of hours minimum every day, and often all day at weekends. High leg boots aren’t really necessary unless you’re a moorland gamekeeper.

Another brand worth looking at is Altberg. They make their boots in wide and extra wide fittings. They too do various military, sporting and walking boots, and supply to various armed forces. They’re made in Richmond N Yorks, custom to order if you have ” difficult to cater for ” feet.

As for looking after boots, dubbin is indeed old skool. I avoid it now, and use Altberg Leder Gris, or Meindl Sportwax. Neither will rot stitching. If you need to recover a pair of dried out boots, try Mink Oil. That softens badly dried, even cracked leather, but if you over use it it will make them baggy.

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

I have used/currently use their Renegade GTX mid boots since early 90s (twice now, I went back to them) and find them to be excellent. I would recommend Lowa as a manufacturer.

Recons are lined with a Goretex membrane I believe? Dubbin unnecessary and possibly not a good idea. Lowa don’t recommend using products with fats/oils

They in general recommend brushing – washing – spray/creme etc

Recon are a combination of full grain leather and cordura so just follow manufacturer instructions for cleaning until the GTX membrane fails then reassess.

Also have a read:

https://www.lowa.co.uk/lovelowa/23-boot-camp

*Edit ^ Lowa have a sale on at the minute (limited sizes) with a few boot styles at nearly half price.

Premier Icon manvstarmac
    Free Member

Thanks all. WRT the welly suggestion, I’m currently nursing a torn calf that a physio suggested might be down to my habit of walking in wellies (Dunlops admittedly)

Premier Icon RustyNissanPrairie

+1 for Haix, all my boots (summer, winter insulated, fast tabbing and dailys) are now Haix (IMHO far better than Altberg, Lowa and the original Brasher Suaplites I had and sold upon discovering them).

Did Snowdon Rangers path last weekend with doggo wearing my Haix, awesome boots.

Premier Icon alanf
    Free Member

I’ve just got some Meindl dutch army surplus boots. Slightly used, read that as hardly used. They are black leather and have a goretex lining. Very similar to Meindl Island. I gave them a good clean and wax treatment and they are very comfortable and totally waterproof and what’s best is they were only £50. Also recycles something already in circulation.

Premier Icon benp1

For muddy or wet stuff, I find walking boots take a while to dry and then also need looking after compared with wellies

For dog walking in the current conditions i’ll go with walking boots (usually fabric ones because they’re easy, comfy and nearby – I have 5 pairs of walking boots incl full leather) or wellies. Last few days have been wellies

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

were only £50. Also recycles something already in circulation.

Good call. My Lowas were from Ebay, worn once (they looked new) Also £55

Premier Icon CountZero

I’ve got four pairs of Meindle Desert Fox boots, all from eBay, all ex-Army issue, and they’re fantastic boots, two pairs need re-soling, for the second time! However, they’re not, by any stretch of the imagination a wet-weather boot, so I’ve been wondering about checking out whatever their equivalent is in a full leather construction for wearing through the winter. I don’t think I paid more than £38 for any of my Meindle boots, and three of them were virtually unworn when I got them, so looking to spend about the same.

As far as leather treatments go, I’ve used Renapur wax for years, it’s great on very dry, hard leather, and works on waxed cotton as well, which reminds me, I really need to buy a couple more pots!

Premier Icon aphex_2k
    Free Member

Mink oil makes me think of the Pink Panther movies. All I can hear is “minky” 😂

Premier Icon longdog
    Free Member

I always used Lowa Mountain Boots until I got some fitted Altberg Bergen’s as a birthday present. I live in a land of peat bog and few surfaced paths, mainly sheep gaets and either are great for that sort of wet boggy sloppy walking like we have now.

Premier Icon househusband

Not all Altberg boots are made in Richmond, the Defenders they make for the Army are made (I believe) in Europe under contract. I’ve had numerous pairs over the last several years, always bought on eBay new for never more than £60.

However a month or two ago I bought a new pair of Haix Combat High Liability boots, also new, for £65 and I’m now converted. Made in Europe, a much better lacing system as they open up more so easier to don and take off with thick socks. They feel lighter and the sole is much, much better for the coastal walking we tend to do with the dogs; the Altberg Vibram sole was lethal on wet rock.

Premier Icon judetheobscure
    Free Member

Do not have the Recons but have Renegade wide fit. Got them a few years back, after struggling for a year or two with a pair of Meindls which were a touch too thin and never gave.

Funny but I made the exact same move this year. My Meindls were just too narrow and they caused excruciating pain in my toes (which I think is actually arthritis but the poor fit of the Meindls was exacerbating the pain). The Lowa Renegade’s were one of the few boots that I could get to fit properly (oh and on that point getting the staff of Cotswolds to do a proper fit was also key to comfort).

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog

Not all Altberg boots are made in Richmond, the Defenders they make for the Army are made (I believe) in Europe under contract.

I’m pretty sure they actually own their own factory in Italy – google says…

https://www.altberg.co.uk/the-altberg-factory/the-beginning-of-altberg

There’s a whole area of northern Italy where boot-making is the local speciality, it’s where the likes of Scarpa, Zamberlan, Asolo, AKU, La Sportiva, Garmont and others come from. Sounds like Altberg chose to start up a factory in the same area to take advantage of the local talent pool.

Premier Icon RustyNissanPrairie

However a month or two ago I bought a new pair of Haix Combat High Liability boots, also new, for £65 and I’m now converted. Made in Europe, a much better lacing system as they open up more so easier to don and take off with thick sock

I’m sure you’ve figured it but there’s a lace lock half way up the boot so you can difference tension zones. Pull the bottom half laces to tension – push the lace lock in trapping the lace then do the top of the boot to a different tension.

I have the High liability, desert (non goretex lined) version and the wet and cold weather insulated version of them. Brilliant boots.

Premier Icon househusband

@RustyNissanPrairie Yup, simple and brilliant. I just wish they did half sizes (or they were readily available) as I suspect that they’d be the better size for me; I have the 10’s and have added a Sorbothane insole as they’re (even with the supplied spaces) spacious – but I think a 9 would be too small.

Get yerself a pair of Aku’s. Either mil or civ boots. Avoid the current army issue DS boots, terrible & cheap. The pilgrim gtx are banger.

Lowa Zephyr also a really good boot.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.