Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Low expansion expanding foam for shower tray?
  • prezet
    Free Member

I have a raised shower tray in our bathroom that is supported on wooden cross beams (not ideal I know), and there is a tiny bit of play at one end of the tray, meaning it flexes by about 2-3mm.

I’ve taken a look under the tray, and I can’t really get a hand in there to tap in some shims, so an alternative might be to spray in some expanding foam. I’ve been having a bit of a read online and many of the forums seem to suggest using a high density, low expansion foam – but I have no idea what I’m looking for, and google doesn’t seem to return much.

Can anyone in the trade recommend a product, or alternatively an alternative idea if this isn’t a good way to go? I don’t really want to take the whole shower tray apart as it means removing and reinstalling all the sealant etc.

bear-uk
    Free Member

Shower trays need to be on something solid,definitely not expanding foam. The ones that I have fitted have been laid on a 25mm cement base. If you can’t take it out can you put the packers under the wooden beams instead of between the beam and tray? In a years time when water starts coming through the ceiling you will know it didn’t work and the tray has cracked.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Low expansion expanding foam for shower tray?’ is closed to new replies.