Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Lounge lighting
  • ElShalimo

We’re looking for some new lights for the lounge to replace the horrible ones we’ve had since we moved in.

We need a low-drop or semi flush ceiling light and preferably some matching wall lights. Where do the good folk of STW get new lights from nowadays?

fasthaggis

Red light  green light

What kind of mood do you want to suggest ? 🙂

ElShalimo

Nothing too Liberace, something more low key

Cougar

null

involver
    Free Member

Floor Lamps and table lamps FTW.

MrSmith
    Free Member

i used a few online retailers, lighting direct, Ledlam and i made my own for the kitchen using bits from creative-cables.
    i recommend the Vari-led dimmers if you want dimmable leds, they do trailing and leading edge modes, expensive but programmable and no flickering.
    i converted all bulbs to 4000ºk as i’m a lighting geek/photographer and have an aversion to warm tungsten sickly yellow glow.
    lighting is great when it’s done well but can make a room look horrible when little thought is given to it.

matt_outandabout

null

ElShalimo

Thanks @matt_outandabout

The ceiling is just under 8ft and as I’m 6ft1 that’s not gonna work. Shame though

Who’s Danni?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Danni is Matts weekend name.

mrsheen
    Free Member

John Lewis usually have a good lighting section for an ideas stroll.

kayak23

Stay away from the lights!

andykirk
    Free Member

Stay away from ceiling lights in a living area. They provide a nasty cold light and should only be used for lighting the room if you need to go quickly in and out or maybe for cleaning.

Wall lighting is not quite so bad as long as it is nice and dim.

Table and floor lamps are the way to go, they provide a much warmer and more atmospheric glow. It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who insist on using ceiling lights in living areas. They are vile.

ElShalimo

@andykirk – I agree but the ones we have are truly awful and need to go

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Lounge lighting’ is closed to new replies.