Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Loud sharp creaking noise on coil shock… Normal?
  • sluff
    Free Member

I’ve just got a new (to me) bike that has come with a Coil DHX5.0.

Whenever I land anything bigger than foot or two I get a loud sharp creak/screach coming from what I think must be the spring. Is this it just compressing and is it normal? My last bike had the air version which was obviously relatively silent compared to this.

Thanks,

Angus

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

possibly/probably the spring fouling on the shock body. CCDBs were infamous for doing this, CC added a plastic sleeve around the damper body to counteract it. More prevalent with longer springs/shocks.

soobalias
    Free Member

impossible to know without hearing it.
    whip the shock out and check the bearings and the frame for cracks or unusual rub/wear marks.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Can be down to the ends of the spring binding/releasing on the shock body too. Try removing the spring and greasing the ends.

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

Fit a thrust bearing is what an engineer would say (I am not an engineer) but grease is far cheaper

rc200f8
    Free Member

Been using a DHX5 coil for 6 years, never had a sound from it, unless the top hats/eyelet bushes are worn

aroche
    Free Member

This might be a longshot,
    – I was getting awful noises when doing some drops, – anything over a foot. Took me bloody ages to figure it out. Turned out I had the saddle low and back, and it was rubbing volently off the back tyre when I landed a drop or jump, making a load, strange bang noise. Adjusted the saddle and sorted.
    As I say a longshot, – but you never know…

sluff
    Free Member

[This might be a longshot,
    – I was getting awful noises when doing some drops, – anything over a foot. Took me bloody ages to figure it out. Turned out I had the saddle low and back, and it was rubbing volently off the back tyre when I landed a drop or jump, making a load, strange bang noise. Adjusted the saddle and sorted.
    As I say a longshot, – but you never know…]

Ha ha ha – You’ll be as happy and amazed as I am embarrassed to say, you got it dead on! I was out for a quick spin and wondering why my new saddle had quite a bad scuff on it, then I remembered you’re post and voila! Problem solved!

Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Loud sharp creaking noise on coil shock… Normal?’ is closed to new replies.