Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Loss/Registering Bridleways
  • jonba
    Free Member

I’ve seen this from the horse world

https://www.bhs.org.uk/our-work/access/campaigns/2026?fbclid=IwAR3WFxFFkM_mne5lQBxz0Uty1vqw_VpelESqyqEbpz6ZT6zn6vWB_wW7OVc

Is there anythng similar being done by cyclists?

Seems worthwhile getting things registered so that we can get better access to the tracks we all use and not lose them through administration.

ratherbeintobago

I think the CTC are on the case?

epicyclo

If you don’t agitate for Right to Roam legislation you’re going to get more restrictions.

Getting those paths registered is important, but it diverts from what is really needed.

Marko

This is a real thing as far as I’m aware, so if you’re at home (with time on your hands) get access to the local definitive map and make sure the bridleways (and footpaths) you use are on the definitive map. Never been a better time to do this – every cloud and all that.

2026 is the cut off and after that date you are stuffed even if you rode or walked a path for 20 years.

This was briefly mentioned at the last local access forum meeting I attended and it looks like the legislation will not be implemented in Wales (TBC).

neilthewheel

I’ve been working with the BHS on this where I live and between us we have registered 160 unrecorded or under-recorded bridleways and byways at the county council. It’s a lot of work and needs a methodical approach, but it turns up some fascinating stuff.
    The 2026 cut-off is for recording historical rights only. If you want to record a path you and other people have been using, simply on the basis of usage over the last 20 years, this is not affected.

Marko

If you want to record a path you and other people have been using, simply on the basis of usage over the last 20 years, this is not affected.

Are you sure about that? The BHS women on the local access forum was adamant that 2026 was the cut off date for all historic and non defined rights of way. If it was not recorded by then, than that was it. She could be wrong of course.

This was before the WA decided to not adopt the legislation. I missed the last meeting, so I’m not sure on the current state of play WRT the Welsh assembly position.

neilthewheel

Historic rights yes, user rights no. But since any claim for user rights always ends up as a search through the historical record, if there’s evidence of historical highway status you might as well pull it together now!

Marko

Cheers Neil.

I’d encourage everyone in England to crack on and search your local definitive map and make sure any BW/cheeky that you ride is recorded. The OS map is NOT the definitive map!

chrisdavids

Where do you find a copy of the definitive map?

Thanks

chris

towpathman

Where do you find definitive maps for your area?

shedbrewed
    Free Member

You ask your local authorities for them. They hold them. They might be a bit busy at the moment with other statutory obligations so be polite and patient.

@Marko
    what meetings/forums have you been attending? Feel free to message or email me if you’d rather.

hodge

What you need to check is the Definitive map and statement, in Essex the County map is held at County Hall. Highway District offices have area copies, Also Parish Councils have copies for the parish. Further information can be found on Essex Highways web page the responsibility for Essex Highways has been outsourced to a private contractor Ringway Jacobs, like most Highway Authorities public rights of way aren’t exactly top of the list.

https://www.essexhighways.org/transport-and-roads/getting-around/public-rights-of-way/the-definitive-map.aspx

paton
    Free Member
    Marko

Shedbrewed.

I’m on the Local access forum (LAF). A statutory body that anybody can volunteer to be on. All local authorities have one. A bit of a toothless tiger with few powers though.

I spend most of my time defending mountain bikers and cyclists from the usual guff – ‘they all ride through red lights’ etc.

Definitive maps.

Our LA has then all online, check there first.

white101

I’ve asked my council about this in the past and had diddley squat back from them. Just checked online and the last application or adjustment happened in 2018.

I’m now having a look at the map and its real easy to navigate……..

northernsoul
    antigee

there was a recent post on here about being challenged riding what I think CinnamonGirl correctly identified as an “unclassified road” sometimes called white roads as that is how appear on OS maps…to explain for those not aware and quite happy to be corrected….you’ve got A roads B roads and on OS map what I would call C roads in Yellow these all connect places and are part of the classified road network but there are a lot of unclassified roads that often look like farm tracks / access tracks or are roads in disrepair that have been bypassed by more modern routes or they connect farms/villages that have long gone…they may or more often may not have street signs…they may or may often not be council maintained

Did a review of those to the north of Sheffield around 15 years ago (not as a pro’ just a local busybody) as there was a call from council to contribute to rights of way review…so to get to the point…many where fine no problem but at least a quarter had locked gates or some sort of “private” sign or I was challenged…also when read through the right of way review submissions many landowners where actively claiming these old roads where private access tracks and asking for them to be “correctly” classified…reviews go two ways so get active!

neilthewheel

Yes, white roads are a grey area (ha ha!) As well as the definitive map of Rights of Way (shows fp, BW,byways and restricted byways) you need check the list of streets maintainable at public expense. This shows all classes of roads and “unclassified roads”. In theory if a road is shown on here it’s a public road but in practice this is very wobbly. However, I have heard that so-called Other Roads with Public Access” will not be lost in 2026, even if access is challenged after this time.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Loss/Registering Bridleways’ is closed to new replies.