Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 253 total)
  • losing a belly!
  • xcgb
    Free Member

Hi

I am like, I suspect many 47 year olds I guess, fairly bike fit and pretty active with walking dinghy sailing etc as well, but really like my food, i am developing a bit of a belly which has to go, other than the expected just eat less replies, anyone got any tips on losing it?

Ta
    XC

soobalias
    Free Member

its eat less pies, not replies.

hth

pick what works for you, subscription to Mens Health, identify your fat burning zone, HIIT, iDiet, carb-cycling, 400 situps/day, pilates, stomach staple, food poisioning…. lots of recommendations on here for picolax.

coffeeking
    Free Member

its eat less pies, not replies.

fewer

soobalias
    Free Member

eat less fewer?

thats gibberish.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Hmmm… I don’t think anyone has asked such a question on this forum before.

Maybe I’m lazy though and can’t be arsed to use the search function…
    Maybe that’s why I’ve got a belly.

molgrips
    Free Member

Search for the iDiet threads. There is a lot of content on them despite the arguing.

In short, it’s not how many calories you eat that’s the issue, it’s where they come from. If you change that then you can lose lots of weight easily.

Sam

Fewer carbs – cut down/out bread, rice, pasta, cereal etc. Replace with lots of beans. I’ve lost about 10kg in 3 months. One ‘blowout day’ a week allowed otherwise I’d go insane. Significant reduction in beer intake (mostly supplanted with wine) I’m sure has also helped.

xcgb
    Free Member

😀 Thanks for ALL the replies

xcgb
    Free Member

Sam – A blowout day is to be expected on that diet!

molgrips
    Free Member

Fewer carbs – cut down/out bread, rice, pasta, cereal etc. Replace with lots of beans.

Beans are carbs.

That advice should be fewer high GI carbs.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Just eat cake. Ignore all the fatd dieters.

fasthaggis

Take the pie shop off speed dial. 🙂

Seriously though 😉
    I found that when I gave up some of my bad eating habits ,like late night snacking after training rides ,and choosing to eat my main meal at lunchtime,I didn’t have to think about my weight at all.
    I also do more core strength stuff now to fight off old age belly ,plus my son has turned me in to a climber 🙄

I am 53 and gorgeous BTW

😆 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

So in summary:

Calories in < calories out = weight loss

Eat more protein than carbs and your body builds muscle and sheds fat, and vice versa. Calories in < calories out rule still applies though.

I’m still a fat fecker though, getting better slowly! I’ve decided the only takeaway I’m allowed is fish+cips, and I have to ride to the coast to get it then ride back!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

stop using mirrors

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

soobalias – Member
    eat less fewer?

thats gibberish.
    Really LOL and nearly choke on my sandwich.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Make some really small changes if you can.

If you take sugar in coffee/tea then use sweetners or nothing.

Do not eat any breakfast cereals, they are crap. Make sure you have porage or bacon/egg, somthing decent for your brecky.

Cut out refined foods, try and eat brown rice/bread/pasta.

Dont ever buy sweeties/chocolate. If you get some for birthday/christmas thats fine but dont go out your way to buy them.

If you are doing all that then you may need to make more drastic changes.

Good luck. i started my journey this time last year and have lost 2 stone, but still have 2 stone to loose! My focus is on getting fitter and just trying to eat good food, the weight reduction is slowly taking care of its self, but i monitor it every week to make sure im about on target.

molgrips
    Free Member

Calories in < calories out = weight loss

Eat more protein than carbs and your body builds muscle and sheds fat, and vice versa. Calories in < calories out rule still applies though.

Nah, not really, more complicatd than that 🙂

legspin
    Free Member

i’ve lost 19lb in 19weeks by eating less, molly should really understand that idave is not the only way by now.

*Edit* I have a chocolate bar everyday, in fact yesterday I had 2. Which my 15yr old son wasn’t very impressed with as the second one was his 😀

tommygunadam
    Free Member

Use the MyFitnessPal app for your phone. record your food intake on it and stick to the daily net calorie value. If you don’t lose weight then you’re cheating.
    As above Calories in < calories = weight loss.

molgrips
    Free Member

i’ve lost 19lb in 19weeks by eating less, molly should really understand that idave is not the only way by now.

Of course I bloody well do.

Similarly, you should know that ‘eating less’ is pretty obvious, and doesn’t necessarily work depending on where you are starting from, what you do, and what you did before.

However I am trying to say that what you eat is as important as how much, but generally accepted ideas are not necessarily the best ones.

legspin
    Free Member

Before I ate a lot now I eat less. use the Myfitnesspal to keep a track of calories. So I know when im being greedy.
    cereal for brekkie
    big ham or tuna salad for lunch
    today will be mince and jacket spud for t
    a Double Decker and a brew
    then 2 slices of toast with jam for supper
    and a couple of apples and pears through the day

the things i have cut out is milk and biscuits.

zilog6128

Not the only way, but definitely the best way. I’ve lost 42 lbs in 16 weeks [blows raspberry] – have now reached my target weight – and am back scoffing rice, roast potatoes, chocs etc on a regular basis (in moderation of course!) and the weight is staying off.

emsz
    Free Member

“Eating less doesn’t necessarily work? “

Are you sure about that Molly?

coffeeking
    Free Member

eat less fewer?

thats gibberish.

😆

molgrips
    Free Member

“Eating less doesn’t necessarily work? “

I should have said ‘eating less doesn’t necessarily work very well’

DezB
    Free Member

And if all the wonderful forum advice fails. Try this

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Eating less will definitely work, eventually, for everyone.

emsz
    Free Member

Everytime you say that Molly, and you’ve said it loads ( mostly to explain why you don’t loose weight) I think of very hungry africans….

legspin
    Free Member

Not the only way, but definitely the best way. I’ve lost 42 lbs in 16 weeks [blows raspberry] – have now reached my target weight – and am back scoffing rice, roast potatoes, chocs etc on a regular basis (in moderation of course!) and the weight is staying off.

But I did not have that much to loose to start with, started @ 12st 10 now @ 11st 5 for 5ft 9

If I lost your weight I would be seriously underweight.

ps well done slim

philconsequence
    Free Member

dont think that sit-ups and other such core-work will turn your belly fat into muscle, but dont underestimate its importance in helping change the shape of your stomach area and how quickly the muscles will start to show through… in general its pretty essential to most exercises and will help with back pain if done correctly (i.e not just sit-ups, balance it out with lower back exercises also)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I think of very hungry africans….

I think of setting up a Nazi style army boot-camp.

Work sets your 6-pack free.

tracknicko
    Free Member

ride more.

xcgb
    Free Member

Thing is I’m not actually overweight (according to my BMI i’m just Ok) its just all appearing on my stomach!

I will take on some of the glorious advice above and see if i can lose it

xcgb
    Free Member

ride more.

Yup thats part of my plan with an occasional commute possibly

jota180
    Free Member

Before I ate a lot now I eat less. use the Myfitnesspal to keep a track of calories.

Same here – knowledge is power
    I now know exactly how many calories I’m taking in
    With 90 mins good cardio per day – I’m down 11lbs in 3 weeks, going to keep hard at it for another week to try and hit the stone, then ease back to 1lb per week

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

ChrisS
    Free Member

Read a copy of Gary Taubes’ “Why we get fat: and what to do about it”:

Linky

(It comes with with proper references to scientific studies to support his arguments)

Follow his advice.

Loose weight.

Easy.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Keva
    Free Member

everyone knows that people who don’t eat much are far thinnner than people who eat loads.

Kev

soobalias
    Free Member

will take on some of the glorious advice above and see if i can lose it

we are all rooting for ya.

I think of very hungry africans

with their pot bellies?

can we ban these threads till all posters have a pic of their 6pk/gunt next to their userid, so we can all judge their ‘suggestions’

molgrips
    Free Member

Everytime you say that Molly, and you’ve said it loads ( mostly to explain why you don’t loose weight) I think of very hungry africans….

Are you suggesting I am unaware of what happens when you starve?

I thought the context of my comments was fairly obvious.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 253 total)

The topic ‘losing a belly!’ is closed to new replies.