Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Looking for the holy grail….. Waterproof boots
  • gavstorie
    Free Member

Sick and tired of having wet feet so decided to get a proper pair of winter/waterproof boots..

So far I seem to be looking towards Wolvhammer, Fasterkatt, Lake 303 and Shimano MW81’s..

Any views or recommendations?

z1ppy

Love my shimano’s MW80’s but will eventually be replaced by Lake 303’s (even having seen the 45nrth’s), but for warmth reasons not due to their waterproof-ness.
    That said all eventually leak, as they have a big hole in the top of them

damascus
    Free Member

Loved my shimano mt90s but the current mt91s are pretty good.

Are you after a sleek boot or walking style boot?

gavstorie
    Free Member

biking boot not a walking boot 🙂

frogstomp

Very happy with my MW81s.. warm enough coupled with appropriate socks.

nbt

I got some fasterkatts for the warmth, the zip burst open on the first ride and again on the third and fourth rides. They went back and I’m now using northwave celsius. The wolvhammers look to be a better constructed boot but BLOODY expensive

scaled
    Free Member

I’ve got MW81s – they’re waterproof to a point but the big hole in the top still lets water in.

One of my mates pairs them with overtrousers and ends the ride with completely dry feet*.

*about 80% of the time

madxela
    Free Member

Northwaves are good, and warm too. Also have some Sidi’s which I use as my non winter boots,a stiffer racier boot, but fit really well and have been bombproof.

I

gavstorie
    Free Member

how are the MW81’s for size? I’ve read reports that you need to order 2 sizes larger than normal with them

gazc
    Free Member

been using shimano mw81’s last few years, great boot only thing is they are wider than my other specialized shoes so they can often catch the crank arm when pedaling (and yes they are set up properly) but maybe thats just due to my wierd shaped feet and the sizing up thing. yes i got 2 sizes up (eu sizing not uk ie 47 instead of 45) plenty of space for thick warm socks but could have got away with a 46

Junkyard
    Free Member

Lakes and dry suit leg thingies to seal where the neoprene is where your foot goes 100% waterproof 99% of the time

gavstorie
    Free Member

That sounds like a good plan Junkyard…. are they neoprene gaiters?

z1ppy

Never sized up myself, my “dry weather” shimano shoes are 46, my MT90 & MW80 are also 46.

xcretro
    Free Member

specialized defroster. got them a few months back to replace my MT91’s as the MT91’s leak water through the big hole in the top!! the defrosters have a velcro cuff that helps. but as is said nowt is totally waterproof whn it comes to boots. I was out on the weekend in the floods in berkshire and spent the good part of half an hour up to the tops of my wheels in water and needless to say my feet were soaked!! all part of the fun. The sooner you come to terms with the fact you’ll get wet feet the more fun you will have on your bike. 🙂

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

If you have flippers for feet then Lakes are for you! They do a wide fitting which is just that. They were the only boots wide enough for me.
    I have the MX 145s which are warm but not aswaterproof as the 303s. I had Lake MXZ300s before which were very waterproof, having a neoprene cuff that was snug even on my skinny ankles.

gavstorie
    Free Member

I think im leaning towards the Lake 303’s.. they seem to be more waterproof than most

I fully realise that nothing is every going to be 100% perfect but anything has to be better than what i am using at the moment 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Looking for the holy grail….. Waterproof boots’ is closed to new replies.