Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Long travel hardtail, 26 inch wheels
  • mrl

I am looking to buy a second hand 26 frame and use all the bits I have lying around. Any suggestions on frames to look for? I have had a 2nd gen chameleon twice before and would love another buy can’t find one. So any suggestions for others to look for?

Cheers

robgclarkson
    Free Member

456 evo II?

they’re not silly money even if you buy new

spawnofyorkshire

I love my Stanton Slackline and the usual suspects of Soul, BFE, Dialed Alpine will get thrown about.

Might be worth Looking at the Dartmoor Hornet as that has been designed for long travel and both 26&27.5 wheels so could be reconfigured in the future

chrishc777
    Free Member

I’ve tried a few and settled with a BluePig, miles better than anything else I tried. Basically 2015 geo back in 2008

wl
    Free Member

I’m selling a medium Orange SubZero frame – takes 160mm forks ideally. Great fun to ride. I used it for all-day all-mountain stuff as well as silly steep cheeky downhills and messing around. Email is in my profile if you want to know more or see pics. It’s the second generation frame, in brass monkey colour. You won’t see another like it. Looking for £140 cash & collect from West Yorkshire (it has a couple of bits with it – front and rear mech, Hope seat clamp, Hope headset which needs new bearings).

P-Jay
    Free Member

Cove Stiffee?

connect2

Nothing to do with me, but I’ve got an Alpitude and think it’s great!

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/genesis-alpitude-frame-for-sale

Del

seatpost is 27.2 on the genesis FWIW.
    i have a last gen 26 chameleon. it is a splendid bit of kit.

kayak23

26″ Transition Transam was my last.
    I ran it with 150mm forks. Brilliant if you can find one.

ads678

I’ve been thinking of selling my Ragley Blue Pig frame, it’s great but I want a 29er mile munched and already have a 160mm FS for messing about on.

Email in profile if you’re interested or want some pics. 16″ btw, black 2010 but good condition.

poah
    Free Member

dartmoor hornet, run one with 26 inch wheels and a 160 pike

maxb
    Free Member

Chameleon. Been on mine for nine years and would not swap it for anything else. Mine is pretty old school so still running XTR V out back hence been on the look out for a MK3 or 4 with disc mount.

Lots out there depending on size you need – about seven on Pinkbike now and one on Retrobike & one I was offered off a wanted ad on here.

matt_outandabout

Eldest_OAB is rocking a Mk2 Dialled PA.

It seems a fantastic bike – the extra travel of 150mm RS Revelations compared to my Fox F120’s is noticeable. It is shorter than my Sanderson, noticeably higher BB, so uber tech and drops it loves, corners my Sanderson is much nicer feel.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JcEWUc]Stank Glen ride[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Lrab1d]Laggan Wolftrax August 16[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

Scamper
    Free Member

I’d take my current 26 Slackline (recently discontinued) over my previous Bfe. There are two versions – I believe older 853 version with straight headtube, 27.2 seat post and the latest 631 version with 44 mm head tube and 31.6 seat post.

Always frames for sale on the Stanton Owners FB Page.

Neil-S
    Free Member

What size Chameleon would you need mrl?

I am about to be selling a white one in medium. It’s the EBB model, bought new by me in 2012, not used much really, so it’s in pretty good nick.

dimitriscsd
    Free Member

If you happen to have a straight steerer fork, the coolest (in my opinion) frame you can get is an Evil Sovereign (i’d go for v2 but v1 is equally cool)

mrl

Thanks for the ideas. Lots to look for now!

Neil, might be interested. Email in profile if you have pictures and details.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I believe Matt paid about £65 for the PA from an STWer which is a great buy imo. I bid on a couple of 2012 Soul’s which went for £185/250, BFe would be a good choice and will be cheaper.

oldejeans
    Free Member

Oink – it’s pikey Pig!

JAG

I have a BFe in Blue for straight steerer forks and 26″ wheels. It’s a brilliant frame and I replaced it with another BFe 8)

STW Ad here; FS; Cotic BFe

matt_outandabout

I believe Matt paid about £65 for the PA from an STWer

Correct, with iffy dropout that needed a slight bend back.

tomhoward

If a medium chameleon is too small, im selling a large 2013 with normal and 142×12 dropouts, hope headset, sc qr seat clamp and stealth dropper routing….

Pic of it built up here….

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/standards-and-swapping-frames-plus-new-bike-content

Mail in profile 😉

maxb
    Free Member

As per WTD section: I’m after a(nother) medium Chameleon too.

Neil-S
    Free Member

mrl, maxb, you both have emails.

forgotmename
    Free Member

Chromag would be my choice. I did see a pink dialed prince albert on here the other day for silly money only £75.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Original pp shan. In gulf colours. Mmmm

johnny2177
    Free Member

check out the On One 456 Carbon!

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Stiffee with 150mm forks….there is no better. They sell for peanuts on eBay.

I think the Orange Crush 26″ was quite nice too.

Northwind

Ragley.

gregwaring
    Free Member

FWIW, ive had a couple of blue pigs and now have a cotic bfe. The bfe is a pound lighter and a better quality frame by a good margin, although the geometry on the pig couldn’t be beat. The new bfe26 is now very similar to the blue pig geometry… the older ones aren’t quite as slack

chrishc777
    Free Member

BluePig X for the win greg, same geo, nicer quality

Northwind

The Ti is sublime. If it just had a tapered head tube and a bit of drop on the top tube it’d be perfect. Not many around but they can be pretty good value when they do turn up.

Trouble with the Mmmbop is the number of faulty ones, I had 3 and only one of them should have made it past factory QC. Also it is as stiff as a stiff thing, which will put some off (though, no stiffer than a chameleon or stiffee)

trenchy24
    Free Member

I thoroughly enjoy my ’08 P7 when I get the chance to go out on it. Running 150mm Revs.

Would love a Shan…but the P7 frame was a bargain, I couldn’t say no

pickle
    Free Member

Love my 456 evo II, it’s a real nice frame and rides so nice.

You can pick them up £140 new at the moment, yes they only have a standard 1 1/8th head tube so you can only run straight tubed forks but they’re a great ride for peanuts

Changed a little since this was taken

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

I have an original 853 evil sovereign (but it’s not for sale cos I loves it). The later models I’m sure are just as much fun even if they “downgraded” the tube set

It’s mental. I originally built it with a u turn coil pike but switched to a 32 talas. The Talas is good but although a massive weight saving was probably an error. When I saw the new pike I was very excited but then I saw that they only do it in tapered steerer. … Thinking of going to a 36 Talas or maybe back to a pike. I use all the different travel settings. At 100 mm it is frankly irresponsible-fully engaging and will chuck you of if you don’t pay requisite attention. At 140 it is a proper hooligan. At 120 is a very well behaved trail bike (the last interesting setting!) I’ve been considering coverting it to 26+ but can’t find a decent 27.5 fork with adjustable travel and straight steerer.

Or the dialled Prince Albert …

456 should be easier to find I guess

VanHalen

I tried to like my dialled pa but couldnt. I’m back on my cannondale trail sl as it’s slacker and about 2″ lower bb (I kid you not).

The dialled doesn’t go around corners very well. It doesn’t jump or manual as nice. Cannondale have really nailed the trail sl very underrated. It lacks credibility on the trail though!

The dartmoor hornet or primal look good.

When my cannondale finally gives up I don’t know what ill get. Maybe a bird? They are pretty long though…

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’d take my current 26 Slackline (recently discontinued) over my previous Bfe. There are two versions – I believe older 853 version with straight headtube, 27.2 seat post and the latest 631 version with 44 mm head tube and 31.6 seat post.

Always frames for sale on the Stanton Owners FB Page.

I’d agree with that.

I had a BFe which I replaced with a Slacline which was a much nicer bike to ride. It was the older 853 one with 27.2mm steat tube / 1 1/8th head tube which some think rides slightly nicer than the later 631 (31.6 seat tube and big head tube) but obviously limits dropper post / forks.

The Ti ones are bargains second hand too.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The issue with Ragley imo is they had some quality control issues around 2011/12 (?) – I was looking at Pig/Piglet ut those issues deterred me and I got the BFe and actually bought a 853 Prince Albert Classic frame too as forum-ites suggest BFe was harsh which it has not been. PAC is still in the wrapping and will get built up with spares and s/h bits sometime.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Long travel hardtail, 26 inch wheels’ is closed to new replies.