Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Standards and swapping frames (plus. new bike content)
  • tomhoward

Remember the old days when all you had to potentially change was maybe your seatpost, clamp and maybe front mech, on account of differing seat tube diameters?

Well I have just changed from this…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/K5hMFn]Untitled[/url] by tom howard, on Flickr

To this…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/L1v29Z]Untitled[/url] by tom howard, on Flickr

Any guesses as to how many conflicting ‘standards’ there were?

Axles? Nope
    Seatpost? Nope
    BB? Nope
    Fork? Nope
    Internal dropper routing? Nope
    F Mech? N/A
    Headset? Nope
    Wheelsize? Nope

Correct. No conflicts whatsoever. everything that’s on the chameleon is on the Rune, save for a rear gear cable and outer, which needed changing anyway.

All this means that my loved, yet massively under used Chameleon has allowed me to replace Mstom’s dying ageing 2009 Trek Top Fuel 8 with a nice, nearly new, Banshee Rune that *should* give her a bit more confidence on more technical terrain (we tried a short stem and wider bars on the Trek, which helped a bit, but I think she was still being held back a bit at BPW and trail centre blacks).

For those interested, spec..

2014 Banshee Rune 160mm W/ CCDB Air CS
    150mm pikes (will balance out the travel at some point, if needed)
    26″ Sun Singletrack on Hope Pro 2
    125mm reverb stealth
    Hope Tech X2 brakes
    Easton 750mm carbon bars
    Thomson stem
    X1 11 speed group
    Burgtec mkIV pedals
    High Roller II 3C F&R (will convert to tubeless when I get chance)

Thanks to those in this thread for the recommendation, the first outing is tonight, will report back!

Also big thanks to the Specialized Concept Store in Harrogate (it has Specialized grips on, so they didn’t mind…) And Garage Bikes in Morley for helping me spin a web of lies to keep all this a secret from Mstom….

STATO
    Free Member

So you went from a modern frame to.. a modern frame with no issues, amazing. Tis nice, needs different colour grips tho 😉

tomhoward

Even swapping between modern frames there are loads of standards that not all manufacturers use. I wasn’t expecting to find a frame that matched exactly.

cokie

Nice! Why the Rune alongside your 5010 and Bronson (IIRC)?

honourablegeorge

Cool. Always thought the 26/27.5 compatibility was an ace thing with Banshee frames – was very close to buying one for that reason. Probably have been on 27.5 years ago if I had.

v666ern
    Free Member

that rune is so nice

tomhoward

Cokie

The rune is Mstom’s (very) early Xmas present…

cokie

Lucky lady! Another questions, didn’t fancy going down the SC route again then?

tomhoward

I would, but I’ve bought a flat since I bought the SCs so somewhat more fiscally limited these days! (5010 and nomad, BTW 🙂 )

cokie

It’s a tough life, isn’t it! 😆

tomhoward

Indeed! My last two bike purchases were Specializeds, can you imagine! 😉

BillOddie

I reckon you got lucky to be honest…

Axles? Nope – Well both frames have the most common preboost “standard”.
    Seatpost? Nope – both have one of the 3 common sizes.
    BB? Nope – threaded, always good.
    Fork? Nope –
    Internal dropper routing? Nope – splitting hairs but you can use a nonstealth routed post in a stealth frame and the other way around too if you have a drill and gumption.
    F Mech? N/A – OK
    Headset? Nope – Both frames have the most common tapered headset “standard”
    Wheelsize? Nope – But obsolete… 😉

I think from the above you can argue that SC and Banshee know their onions and don’t use daft “standards”.

That Rune is bloody lovely too! Well Done!

jemmajura

Some cadburys purple accessories would really help the green ‘pop’… Don’t you think Tom? ?

tomhoward

*mutters* Bloody purple…

Oh hai, I was err *shuffles feet* umm *looks at floor* talking to myself some people….

kraken2345
    Free Member

I’m extremely jealous! On a 2009 Pitch currently so when I change it’ll be axles, fork, wheels, seatpost and the list goes on :/ not sure how much more I want to upgrade the frame but I want to start enduro racing next year so thinking dropper and in need of a new shock and the wheels are freeride types that take a year to get up to speed. The list seems endless

chiefgrooveguru

Very nice!

Axles? Nope – Well both frames have the most common preboost “standard”.

You can get traditional QR, 12×135, 12×142 and 12×150 dropouts for the Banshee – apparently 12×148 are coming too. And it’ll run 27.5 or 26 wheels. 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Standards and swapping frames (plus. new bike content)’ is closed to new replies.