Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Londonites, did this grab you?
  • neilthewheel

Durham County Council and Visit England have spent £600k on promoting the county as a top destination for mountain biking, cycling and walking. Maybe you could tell me whether you’ve seen these ads and whether you’ve been inspired to visit? If so, were you impressed, if not – what would attract you? Perhaps if they’d spent the money on new trails at Hamsterley Forest for example? (just asking…) If enough of you respond I can reveal my (not very scientific) findings at the next Access Forum meeting.

djglover
    Free Member

I’d not choose to go to Co Durham over Dales, NY Moors, Lakes. Other than a day trip to see tha Cathederal, or maybe skiing at yad moss.

As for coast, Northumberland or Moors coast…

LenHankie

I didn’t see it advertised, but then I haven’t been getting the tube recently; cycling instead. Equally, I very rarely use King’s Cross station – perhaps every 3-4 months. Was it anywhere else?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

First I’ve heard about it, but then I rarely use king’s Cross.

Like djglover, I’d be hard pushed to go past the peak district if I was heading that way and if I was tempted past the peak district then I would probably go on past Durham up to Scotland

plumber
    Free Member

I use the tube and kings cross quite a lot but haven’t spotted these.

I’d be unlikely to spend that amount of time, money heading to Durham.
    I’d be going to the lakes instead

torihada
    Free Member

Haven’t seen the adverts. I took a group of riders from t’south to Hamsterley after they got washed out in the Dales. They enjoyed the new ‘red’ trails after we made a loop of the best black & red bits. I go to Hamsterley because I’m from Co. Durham and visit family. The other riders? I’ve got to say if traveling that far from London it would be natural riding in the Lakes or push onto Seven Stanes. Invest the money in the trails (@ Hamsterley) and build something good enough to attract through reputation.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not seen the ads. As others have said, what’s the tube?

Northumberland, however, is a paradise on earth. Such beauty, such grandeur.

kimbers

Im going there this weekend for the UK gravity enduro at hamsterly

never considered going there before, even though ive heard good things about hammers, if it rivalled the tweed valley for trail centres then Id happily travel there instead of all the way to scotland

and ive never seen those ads

neilthewheel

Note in the article it mentions a report in the Independent. It somehow neglects to mention that the reporter was invited by FC to ride round Hamsterley…on a day when all the trails were closed for a motor sport event!
    Thanks for responses so far….only 7 people on this forum in a city of 8 million? Surely not!

Drac

Durham’s not bad either.

ononeorange

I use the tube every day and haven’t seen these. Are you sure the advertising agency didn’t just take the money and run?!

brakes
    Free Member

I live and work in London and haven’t seen these ads.
    I studied, lived and worked in Durham City and was a regular rider at Hamsterley 10 or so years ago.

If I’m honest, I wouldn’t pick County Durham as a riding destination – there are other places I would choose to go to first.
    I don’t really see Durham as an ‘outdoors’ destination, rather one for its history and buildings – Durham city, Beamish, numerous halls and stately homes, etc.

really? I love Northumberland, but because of its barren, wild, bleak and unkempt nature.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I’m a Geordie but live in london these days. I started riding when I lived in the north east and theres plenty of riding in Durham and Northumberland. Hamsterley was often visited and the natural stuff in the North Peninnes is stunning… although it crosses into Cumbria and Northumberland – lived in allendale a while.

So, nope didnt see campaign but I suspect Durham county needs to get a few more trail centres, or published routes, to attract mountain bikers… going there with local knowledge will take you to some great stuff but theres ‘apparently’ so much more either side in the Borders and Peak that I think most bikers would go to those first.

Mind, any publicity will help raise awareness and promote the region which is no bad thing.

rootes1

don’t recall seeing any of these posters.. at any station, tube or trains?

ahwiles
    Free Member

really? I love Northumberland, but because of its barren, wild, bleak and unkempt nature.

i think you’re both right…

Stoner
    Free Member

Where’s Durham?

martinhutch

Saw one, it was talking about Bishop Auckland, something about it being the picturesque and elegant home of the Prince Bishops or something. Sounds nice, close to Hamsterley too.

Anyone been?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Northumberland, however, is a paradise on earth. Such beauty, such grandeur

shh… don’t tell everyone….

jambon
    Free Member

Never seen the ads. Live in Spain but work half the time in London and commute mainly by tube.

Was a student in Durham 20 odd years ago and subsequently would never have thought of it as a MTB destination. It’s flat FFS.

Sounds like money well wasted.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Londonites, did this grab you?’ is closed to new replies.