Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • London – for a couple of days with wife and 3.5 year old daughter
  • DickBarton

What is there to do in this place? I’m heading down to this cesspit for work tomorrow (I only get to get out at Heathrow, on a train and then into an office and the bits I see seem to stink or have huge amounts of litter on them – granted it is a grand total of about 2000 yards but that is my current thinking of this place).

Tonight, my daughter asked if the next time I’m going to London I can take her…so as I’m kind of open-minded and don’t want to taint such a young mind with my own clouded views I’m thinking of going on holiday for a few days so that we (the family) can see London in a much better light.

Thinking of jumping on a train and spending 2 days or so in the city, so what would be useful to see and where would be good to stay? Not looking for somewhere plush and luxurious, but it needs to be comfy as it is a real struggle to decide who whines the most between mum and daughter when things aren’t going to plan!

I’m thinking of a trip on the Wheel – mainly so my daughter can say she has been on it and hopefully get a WOW from being so high and seeing stuff, but what else is there? I genuinely believe my view of London is completely wrong and it’s purely down to the fact that aside from getting off the plane and the 2 minute walk to my office, I haven’t seen anything of London.

Cheers.

chaos

Hmmm… not so sure with a girl but my train-obsessed 3 (now 4) year old loved just going on the Tube. The London Transport museum went down well as well.

She might be a little young to enjoy the Science museum but definitely ready for it in a year or two. Otherwise Wheel as long as they don’t mind heights. London Zoo (Regents Park) is good.

As for you – get on your bike! I love cycling around central London.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Science museum is good but 3.5 years might be a little too young. I expect she would get more of a thrill out of the Natural history museum at that age. Some of the walking tours can be good. London bridge experience is good but again maybe not for a 3.5 y/o.

Thames clipper up the river to Greenwich is nice. Stop off for a drink / food / look round the undercover market if it is on (I forget which days it is on).

Pedalos on the Serpentine.

DickBarton

Cool, thanks folks…stuff to start looking into…

DaveP

natural history museum
    science museum (some of it)
    harrods (toys also they have a poodle parlour which is sooo funny)
    tube

richardk
    Free Member

Natural history museum, your daughter is young enough to get the explorer packs. Great day out, just get there early.

WWT site Barnes for a bit of inner city wildlife?

Places to stay – Premier Inn or Holiday Inn Express, soul-less but good value for London. Premier Inn with the pub next door is usually great for breakfasts.

gottapickapenny
    Free Member

Hehe.

What is there to do in this cesspit?

The spirit of adventure is not dead with you is it.

Zoo? Any of the museums? Science? Nat History? Toy Museum? Galleries (all of them do things for kids) if you go east Greenwich and the Maritime museum do story tours for the little ones.

Im sure there must be a visit london tourist site?

Have fun in the cesspit. 🙂

DickBarton

I’m expecting my view to be completely changed after visiting for a holiday…I’m sure it’ll be Braw, cheers.

restless
    Free Member

We stayed at Premier Inn Wembley as I drove down the M1, then tube ride into the city centre.

My youngest is 2 and half and liked the tube, Hamleys, and the London Eye.
    Also walking along the embankment looking at the boats. We went on HMS Belfast, but thats because I have older boys too.

If you are taking a pushchair, tube stations can be difficult .

mefty
    Free Member

WWT site Barnes for a bit of inner city wildlife?

I wouldn’t bother, while its a great amenity, to a tourist I wouldn’t imagine it is not that exciting, unless you are really into conservation. (As my bother-in-law’s father-in-law is, it was a must see for him) The central parks should be sufficient for outdoors and I would go to Greenwich if I wanted to get out and about it as that allows you to combine a boat trip with a more wild outer london park and wonderful buildings.

Markie
    Free Member

British Museum – wonderful. London Aquarium, right next to the Eye.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘London – for a couple of days with wife and 3.5 year old daughter’ is closed to new replies.