Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Locking bikepacking bikes in shared spaces.
  • Ambrose

The plan is to ride our own variant ot the Traws Eyryi route later this year. We will be using pubs and other places overnight that offer ‘secure bike storage’. The storage is available and open to anyone who arrives by bike I assume, thus they could get at our bikes should they want to.

I’m a pretty trusting person but Mrs A is concerned that someone could get at our bikes too easily and ruin things.

So I’m wondering if we should bring a lock? It won’t stop general vandalism (hugely unlikely to happen I think) nor will it stop components being removed (also ridiculously unlikely in my mind), but realistically how likely is this going to be? I’d suggest that there is a miniscule chance of it tbh. However, should something untoward occur would our insurance (ha ha, as yet we have none!) be of any use if the bikes were unlocked?

What standard of lock would be required I’m wondering, and would it/ they be too heavy and or cumbersome to be practical?
    Are there any compact locks, perhaps the folding plate types that might suit?

Looking for good advice here, many thanks 🙂

tjagain

I have a 2.5kg lock and a 700g padlock and cable.  Its not proof against boltcroppers but would stand up to basic tos.  Id take the 700g one

mjsmke

Stay at places that let you take the bikes inside?

reeksy

My bike insurance (albeit in Australia) provides a list of specific locks that are accepted. If my bike isn’t locked to an immovable object with one of those (purchased within 3 years of taking out the policy) then it’s not covered.

Maybe look at insurance first?

slowol

Yes take a lock, just to stop opportunists in the bike shed or when you’re in a shop or cafe.

I recently got a folding lock (Abus Bardo). It’s not a top of the range one but folds up neatly and seems fairly solid. Not as good as a u lock but lighter weight, easy to pack and better than a wire cable. Goes round the frame and a Sheffield stand easily enough.

It’s a compromise. Take whichever one you and your wife best compromise on.

intheborders
    Free Member

Suggest to your wife she’s carrying it, ask her to choose one 🙂

FWIW I worried about this too, in the end I just use a paid of combination Hiplok’s in bright yellow, and don’t leave anything expensive (lights, GPS, keys etc) in the framebag.

#token

https://www.tiso.com/easyn6al0069/hiplock-z-lok-combo-pa-yellow-easyn6al0069/00113110/?utm_source=organic_shopping&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=shopping_feed&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw88yxBhBWEiwA7cm6pcxT4rQkgZ2E45A-vXLArt9E1MuMABUst30Zl9de8ykmqYzRzVFHWxoCxzUQAvD_BwE

benp1

I just take a little combination retractable cable lock. It’s not going to stop anyone committed but it stops an opportunist. Comes on nearly all bike trips for cafes, pubs and shops. Peace of mind too

footflaps

If the pub / B&B has somewhere locked to store bikes I never bother locking them inside. Generally everywhere that has offered us bike storage has had somewhere half decent to store bikes (eg boiler room in one pub) and I’ve been pretty happy it’s out of sight etc, so no one would know to go looking etc.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d not worry too much personally. You’ll probably be the only people using the facility.

But if it’s gonna cause anxiety, then take a lightweight lock as some peace of mind, as others have suggested.

hooli

I always take a lock and either lock the bikes to something or at least to each other. It isn’t just the pain and cost of losing the bikes but it ending the trip early and on a bad note.

fossy

I took my Abus Bordo when we went MTB packing on the Pennine Bridleway and stayed in pubs – one night was in a cellar, the other, the bikes were in the beer garden. The Bordo fits nicely in a bottle cage.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I just take a little combination retractable cable lock. It’s not going to stop anyone committed but it stops an opportunist. Comes on nearly all bike trips for cafes, pubs and shops. Peace of mind too

+1, mine screeches if you move it as well.

A determined person with wire cutters could get through it, but it’s enough for cafe stops etc.

I do take a proper lock to places like Afan, but equally I seem to be the only person in the lodge who does (shed / beer cellar accessed with the room keys).

ossify

What’s your main priority, stopping the bikes getting nicked or insurance?

If it’s the bikes, then heavier locks or alarms are the best option… if nothing else, it makes the other bikes more attractive than yours (assuming there are any!).

If insurance, check the insurer’s requirements first when choosing. Ours (Nationwide) only requires that the bikes be locked to an immovable object, any cheap cable lock will do and then it’s covered.

stumpy01

Take a lock, even if it’s a retractable cafe lock to stop drunken opportunists.
    Perhaps also take the front wheel off & inside with you.

At uni we had an entire cycle shed done over, primarily because security did nothing about my complaints that the suitcase style padlock on the door was inadequate.
    The only bike that didn’t get nicked (a half decent Merlin Cycles Merlin) was the only one that had the front wheel missing. It was my room neighbours bike & she hadn’t got round to sticking the wheel in; it was still under her bed and I guess to much hassle for the thieving gits to bother with.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.