• This topic has 54 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by SirHC.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Lockdown Bike Builds – lets see them!
  • beanoir
    Free Member

Apologies for a long winded ‘build thread’ I spend a lot of time on car forums and this is what we do!  If it belongs elsewhere then happy to take the flack.

I decided to ditch the roadie recently, twice I’ve tried and 18 months ago spent a fair few quid on a new Giant but still didn’t get on with it.  So I decided to sell it and fund a rebuild of my MTB, an ageing 2007 Kona Kula I’d had from new.  It’s had most parts upgraded over the years, in fact I think the only original item left was the chainset and headset.  The lockdown project began…

The Original Bike

I was working to a budget so decided to buy a new frame and re-use parts, maybe upgrade a few bits over time. I wanted to stick with a Kona (because I like them) and go with a 26er to save changing wheels and forks.  I settled on a NOS Kona Kula Watt Team, a 2013 model carbon frame.

I stripped the forks (RS Reba Race), and ordered a service kit with new bushes and oil.  Prepped the legs for painting and resprayed in satin black.  Whilst rebuilding I also increased the travel from 100mm to 115mm.  Finished off with some new (not period) decals.

New frame arrived, incredibly lightweight and I went straight to work on building up.  These frames come with a BB30 sized BB, so I chose the Praxis bottom bracket which essentially converts to an external bearing allowing fitment of Shimano HT etc.  Reducer headset (HOPE) needed as my forks are 1 1/8th straight.  I also had to convert my Hope Pro II hub to Pro Evo spec to allow for the new style Shimano Microspline free hub and cassette.  As always budget went a little over, I ended up splashing out on a whole new XT 12s gear group set.  After a few issues though it’s now built and took it for it’s first outing today.

I’ve also added a few other bits and bobs, new DMR V8s, grips, etc.  I might look at a shorter stem I think as the next mod.  Longer term, I’d quite like some new forks when funds allow.

Now as if I wasn’t content with one bike build, I decided having my old Kula frame laying around was just too tempting to not do something with it.  My other half doesn’t have a bike and so that was all the excuse I needed.  This was going to be a LOW budget build, parts bin special as far as possible.

I decided to respray the frame, rattle cans from Halfords.  I’m not much of a painter, but having plenty of time on my hands I did plenty of prep and read up on technique.  I went for a metallic pearlescent grey which is finished with a clear coat.  Grand total of £22 spent so far…

I sourced a cheap pair of wheels and forks from a friend for a few quid.  I’ve rebuilt the forks but not sprayed these ones!  They work ok for their intended use, could do with a damper stanchion end cap seal as the oil is leaking past into the lower legs, but thats another day’s job.  I re-used my old chainset, XT front and rear mechs, DMR pedals, etc.  Sourced some cheap eBay bits (seat post), clearance specials (Nukeproof bars, stem, SI saddle).

The item I was struggling with was brakes, I really didn’t wan’t to fit V-brakes and the rims wouldn’t ‘t take them anyway.  I was recommend the Clarks M2, so managed to get a left and right side (both rear) with a bit of cable adjust had them fitted fine.  so far I’m really impressed with them, considering the full set with rotors cost £44.

Just waiting on new decals, but so far it’s got me some brownie points with the war office and kept me quiet for another week of lockdown!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Great work 👍🏼

tdog
    Free Member

Blooomin love that grey paint job

V good!!!! 👍😎

I have a build going on currently however cannot upload pics due to restrictions on moby

Wally

Scotch 2228 rubber tape on the chainstay.
    I managed to chip a new frame badly in one hour.

beanoir
    Free Member

I did cut a piece of 3M vinyl out to help protect, you can just about see it in one of the photos, it’s black.  I did think it might be a bit thin to do much in the way of protecting.  I’ll have a look into the Scotch though, thanks.

That said, my other half is not likely to be doing much more than bumbling around on it, so it should have a fairly easy life

trumpton
    Free Member

Grest. another 26er lives

lardman
    Free Member

Ive been using my time to upgrade my childrens bikes.

Eldest has moved from 24″ wheels to 26″.. using up older bits from the shed. Small Giant Anthem running 26″ wheels on 27.5 frame and fork.

null

Younger one has small giant Trance running 24″ wheels and shorter cranks on a 26″ wheeled bike. (picture taken before the short cranks went on)

null

akira

Finished just before lockdown so it counts.
    null

jacobff

Beanoir, I enjoyed that thanks. Great to the see the process.

legometeorology
    Free Member

Ahh, was just going to start a thread on this

Niche lockdown monstercross dinglespeed from me

momo

Excellent work OP, especially the spray work!

Akira, that Shand is stunning!

reluctantjumper

2 bikes living again for not much cash, good work! Like the grey too, understated yet different.
    Got a rebuild of my trail bike ongoing (waiting a delivery of parts) that wasn’t meant to be happening as a new bike was on the cards this year.

I’ve got some of those Clarks brakes on my commuter bike, they’re bloody impressive for the cash. Think I paid just over £36 for them with discs and mounts from their Amazon store a while back, might have even been a Black Friday deal. As much power as my Deore brakes on another bike but with less feel. My rear lever has developed a small rattle where the lever pivots as it’s a plastic bush but not noticeable over traffic noise so not worth worrying about given their price.

scandal42
    Free Member

Repurposed my steel plug into an awesome gravel bike. I’m absolutely loving it and have done loads of riding on it during lockdown. It’s been perfect for finding new routes and avoiding gnar and car.

I love it

null

null

gt56
    Free Member

Nice work OP! I decided to repurpose my on one 45650b to a bikepacking rig. Some singular steel forks and a new handlebar with thinner tyres so far… Build will progress once the forks are sprayed black!
    null
    null

beanoir
    Free Member

Nice work, some awesome projects on the go!  Keen to see all the progress, so keep us all updated!

@gt56
    are they BMX handlebars?

gt56
    Free Member

Ha they are a bit weird aren’t they?! I thought I’d try them out as I’d like to mount lights unobscured by a handlebar bag – not sure on them yet but then I haven’t ridden them; they might be amazing!
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HBOOMKB/on-one-mickey-handlebar

beanoir
    Free Member

I think it’s a great idea! What bag are you using?

gt56
    Free Member

I have purchased an airlock 13l jobby from alpkit. Looks ideal, and with those bars I’m thinking I could have that underneath and room for something else on top. The world is my oyster 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Those bars are great idea, I’m tempted by a set. They’re actually less added weight than most bike packing front bag holders.

Built, then immediately put up for sale, needed a few bits to finish it but figured it’d be easier and less faff to sell complete (HAHAHAHAA, not, it’s Facebook marketplace after all!). [mod edit: sale link removed, this isn’t the Classifieds]

null

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

For a laugh I’m building a SS, doubt I’ll use it much but it passes the time, I only stripped the bike down the other week to change the frame & now I’ve stripped it again to swap the frame back again, the aim is sub 20lbs (just).
    Original thread HERE.

Cheers.

beanoir
    Free Member

I’m tempted to do another lockdown build, this thread is given me some inspiration to try something a bit different.

hmm…

gt56
    Free Member

Love that fatty Spoon.. why sell? I considered SS myself for the bikepacking build but worried it might limit my choice of terrain. Perhaps I should do another 🙂

Forks now a lovely shade of hammerite black 😂
    null

beanoir
    Free Member

I have purchased an airlock 13l jobby from alpkit.

I might have a look, quite fancy a bar bag.  I’m not sure I’m ready for full on bikepacking yet, but like the idea of a bag to carry a small stove and do a brew and grub stop.

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

3 for 2 on bikepacking gear on planet x right now, we bought a waterproof frame, bar and saddle bag set for £40!

Saccades
    Free Member

Wife’s 14″ inbred frame from 2005?

Updated for the eldest with 26″ parts from box in the shed

Deore LX 1x drivechain, bb7 brake on the back with Chris king, fox forks and xtr shifter.

She loves it and wants to go night riding on it with me

beanoir
    Free Member

Just picked one up from Alpkit, the one that worked size wise for me was out of stock on Planet X.  Good shout though 👍🏻  I quite liked the look of their Adventure bundle…

I reckon I’ve got a day pack sorted now.

garage-dweller

I built up my old 1998 Schwinn Homegrown for my son who has outgrown his 24* wheeled Voodoo.

Proper parts bin special but hells bells it’s light compared to a modern hardtail.

3×8 gears mix of LX to XTR running gear and an Alivio crank with XT rings (left over from a 1x conversion). XT parallel push Vs on back and cable disc up front, Avid Speed Dial levers and a Manitou Axel up front.

Have to ask myself at what point I accumulated a spare Chris King headset.

beanoir
    Free Member

Haha! I found myself wondering if an XT groupset and DT Swiss rims were really necessary for my other half who can barely ride a bike! But it’s what I had.  Probably drawn the line at CK headset!

gt56
    Free Member

Update.. the 45650b is nearly done. Tested mounting the new bags and all seems good

null

honourablegeorge

Had an (almost) full Geometron G16 to sell as a full bike, but ended up hanging up the frame in the shed and using all the parts on a bike that the two youngsters will use – Ragley MmmBop frame

beanoir
    Free Member

Looks good @gt56 – how did the BMX bars works out with that bag?

Love the Ragley, nice colour combo, dark grey and ‘kash’.  Which dropper post is that?

alpineharry
    Free Member

It’s a fox transfer post

beanoir
    Free Member

Budget build finished, got the decals from Graphics Direct and I’m not that impressed with the quality of them, might try the other guy at retro stickers as he seems to get good feedback.  Still, it looks ok for now.

fooman

I picked up a Space Chicken frame a couple of weeks ago when they were reduced, I already had most of the other parts spare to complete a build.

I thought it was going well until I came to put the chain on. Queue my family taking it in turns to come out and laugh at me.

dammit

I didn’t think the gloss crank looked right anyway with the matt frame so a quick change to silver cranks and a touch of bar wrap (which looks very red but will fade) and the build is done.

Space Chicken

legometeorology
    Free Member

45650b looks great 🙂

poah
    Free Member

This is the start of mine for the wife. Circa 2012 carrera vulcan. Needed a right good clean before I used some meguiar’s ultimate compound.

rOcKeTdOg

IMG_20200405_111720

curvature
    Free Member

Some great looking bikes there.

I managed to convince myself that a new Five would be a good buy for my son as the frame was half price. Forgot that his old bike had 26″ wheels!

bri-72

Shield your eyes………

…….I did warn you.

Re-purposed spesh rockhopper frame off eBay and random spare parts bin stuff.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Lockdown Bike Builds – lets see them!’ is closed to new replies.