Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Little PSA: Drumlanrig
  • simonralli2
    Free Member

Had an absolutely cracking ride at Drumlanrig today. Started off pretty sketchily, slip sliding around, but then found a bit of commitment and really started to have a go at the many rooty features.

Half way along the black downhill, I met a very nice chap who was one of the the ground staff. He was spending all day with a rake raking leaves from the black route. He said that although locals would know where to ride, others would not. I thought that that showed great commitment to keeping the trails open, so I said I would put a little note up on here to say that the black route really is a corker right now.

If you have not been, Drumlanrig is quite a challenge but not stupidly so, and the black route has an fabulous XC downhill section with loads of tight and twisty rooty turns and step downs. While I didn’t crash, there was more than a little dabbing but it was just brilliant fun. It’s free mon – fri and £2 entry at the weekends, with a free bike wash.

To be honest, it was a slow ride, and it took me 3 hours ish. But the second half of the red is still riding fast, and I certainly had a go at a lot of sections that I would normally walk down. I can’t say I actually made them, but hey, I had a go 🙂

I struggled with the photos, as it was cloudy and also pretty misty too, so didn’t really have the lighting conditions to do the trails justice. But yeah, it’s riding really well right now, seemed to be drained well with not too much in the way of mud, but as it is quite peddaly, it does drain the legs of energy a bit, and towards the end I decided to ride the final red section as opposed to the final black with the monster climb.

IMG_0009 by simon ralli, on Flickr

IMG_0025 by simon ralli, on Flickr

IMG_0024 by simon ralli, on Flickr

Had an absolutely awesome cappucino and venison burger in Thomas Tosh in Thornhill. They also had a very good exhibition of the all-new Harry Potter book covers, which were designed by a local artist, so yeah, a grand day out.

Militant_biker

Nice photos – I miss Drumlanrig!

simonralli2
    Free Member

Cheers – there were some amazing views of the snow capped mountains but am not too sure you can really see them on film

IMG_0017 by simon ralli, on Flickr

Most of the pics came out blurred like this one which is a shame really as the trails were great and the woods still lush with deep green undergrowth.

IMG_0004 by simon ralli, on Flickr

craig1975
    Free Member

good to here your giving the black a go Simon… its a quality trail.. one of my fav. (when i remember to tighten up my rear wheel.. LOL 😉

simonralli2
    Free Member

Well I was a bit worried, but I managed to do the “bombhole” without stopping first.

Also, do you remember the steep drops on the black descent that I walked down when we rode? That was the bit where the chap had been clearing, and he was there watching so I decided to MTFU and have a go, as it would have been rude not to ride after all his sterling work. I made it half way down then the problem (as for many parts) was that my wheels would slide sideways over the roots and not actually go over them, so I came off half way down, but I am more confident now at least trying these things.

Diane
    Free Member

Drumlanrig is fab and so quiet. Lovely lovely.

supertacky
    Free Member

Drumlanrig is a great wee trail. Fabulous at this time of year. A real breath of fresh air compared to GlenTress and the like.

glynP
    Free Member

its my local trail and I think it it the best well done Rick

simonralli2
    Free Member

Drumlanrig is fab and so quiet. Lovely lovely.

Hi Diane. Yes, I wanted to put out this PSA as it seemed that chap was working so hard but for maybe just a handful of riders. I think there could have been one or two riders there some way ahead of me. I didn’t see anyone on the trails, but there were some fresh tracks.

A real breath of fresh air compared to GlenTress and the like.

Thing is, I can really understand the popularity of Glentress, which is a place that has done wonders for introducing people to mountain biking. But I was trying to mention Drumlanrig’s downhills, which for me as an XC rider are really exhilarating, especially as there are some really slidey, wheel going sideways moments, and times where I struggled to stay on on some pretty steep sections. It’s not about the big air, but loose and rooty at this time of year can be just as exciting, but in its own individual style. Yeah, more people should try Drumlanrig and also Ae and Dalbeattie too which are not well visited really.

Diane
    Free Member

As a note – when the rain/snow promise to spoil the fun at GT/Inners it’s often worth a look at the weather map as have found in the past that when it was impossible to ride much here Drumlanrig was OK

MrKmkII
    Free Member

did you speak to the guy with long hair who was in video ‘home’? i once did a loop from the car park, got back later than most other riders (seemingly) and he came out right across to my car and had a chat, top guy!

Diane
    Free Member

That’ll be Rick – the trail builder – bet he’s on here later 🙂

simonralli2
    Free Member

Unfortunately I didn’t speak to Rik because the bike shop now is only open Friday – Monday in winter.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Rik at the bike shop is sound, he even took a brake lever off his SS to sell me for a few quid after I broke mine there and needed one for the next day.

Great trails, actually might head down the at the end of the month as I haven’t been since the summer.

allthepies
    Free Member

Rode drum over the summer, great trails and Rik is a good chap 🙂

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Out of interest, how busy does Drumlanrig get? I’ve only ever been there for races, how many folks on bikes would they get on a typical Saturday or Sunday? I’ve loved it every time I’ve ridden there.

hels
    Free Member

It’s ace in the rain too, you are nearly always under cover.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Steven

Well when Drumlanrig was running uber fast and dry in August, there were maybe a handful of cars in the car park and Craig1975 and I saw in total 5 other people out on the trails. Part of the reason for posting this was because this poor chap was spending all day clearing the trails and it would be a real shame for them to be barely ridden. (I did my bit too by putting an empty energy drink plastic bottle in my bag that someone had seen fit to actually jam into a tree stump and not take home themselves.)

Hels
    True – it wasn’t raining today but I got wet every time I rode into a tree and shook the water off their leaves. 🙂

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

That is some dedication, sweeping the leaves off the trails. Is the cafe still open at this time of year?

simonralli2
    Free Member

Well it wasn’t open today. But I can highly highly recommend Thomas Tosh in Thornhill!

IMG_0034 by simon ralli, on Flickr

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Little PSA: Drumlanrig’ is closed to new replies.