Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Little Christmas present to myself. Step 1 of Action Plan: 2015
  • yourguitarhero
    Free Member

So, I’ve taken the first irreversible step on my 2015: Action Plan by handing in my notice at my ‘main’ part time job today.

First off, the 2015: Action Plan. Stop working so much. Have more time to myself – go cycling a lot, do charity work, get back into playing in a band, learn to brew beer properly, cook a lot.

Overall, just reject the “work full-time, lease a new car, have nuclear family, go to Dobbies Garden World at the weekend” lifestyle. I see a lot of my friends going that way (early 30s). They seem frazzled.

Jacking in my job seems bizarre to some as it was a secure, permanent position at a charity with decent pay, colleagues and pension etc.

However I’m left with my other (charity) job where I’m a self employed contractor earning as much in 1.5 days as I did in 3 at the other one. Just got funding for a whole year’s work too.

I recently received an inheritance that means I’m mortgage free at 33 with a nice flat in Edinburgh City Centre. Have loads of savings (I’d been saving to buy a place), loads of toys (sportscar, guitars, bicycles etc) and no debts.

I realised I was earning about twice as much as I needed to be comfortable. I was either saving the rest for the house or frittering it away.
    But I missed the free time I had when I was unemployed/ working part time.

The work at my ‘main’ job had got boring and repetitive and the workload was increasing more and more meaning I couldn’t do my job to my satisfaction. I was stressed. My hair went gray a little!

I tried to work with them to improve things and while they agreed with my assessment of the problems and my solution they were unwilling or unable to enact them.

I gave them a couple of months notice, so will be leaving in February.

So, here’s to spending more time with myself, my cats, my beer and my bicycles! I’ll also be pestering all y’all about a bike park that a charity I’m part of is working on.

somouk
    Free Member

Good luck with it all, would be an excellent lifestyle especially in that part of the world, plenty of riding on your doorstep to enjoy!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Yeah, I have a bike rack for my car and some camping gear so will be exploring more of Scotland too.

I realise I’m very lucky to be able to do this. Especially since I’ve been married for 5 years and don’t have any kids. If we did have one I doubt I’d be able to get away with it!
    Need to grab this opportunity now in case I can’t in the future.

I’m also going to speak to some of the local breweries and see if I can come in to help them out a day of week.

jimmy

Very envious, would pretty much hope to do exactly the same if I could (drums, not guitar though).

MoreCashThanDash

OP – are you female, single and not fussy?

8)

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Male, married, not fussy but faithful.
    Will accept emailed boobie pics. Don’t have to be yours!

llama

Nobody likes a smug bastard

But I’m happy for you 🙂

alpin
    Free Member

Do it. Do it. Do it.

My plan for the coming year is to convert the van and bugger off around Europe for a year or two.
    other friends are plodding along getting bogged down with kids, work and mortgages. I want to live a little before I’m old.

rsvktm

6 yrs ago in our late 30’s wife and I went part time to 3 days a week, missed the ease of just buying stuff for a year or two but never regretted it. No kids, cheap house so easier than some. Converted a van, started racing again, travel around biking and chilling. It’s the life, good luck.

slowoldman

Expect hate mail!

Good luck with it.

mos

Sounds like a good idea. Can ayone suggest how i can ‘lose’ £500k woth of morgate debt & negative equity?

hjghg5
    Free Member

I went for a job interview yesterday. My friends asked whether it would be more money. I answered smugly no, it’s part time. I really hope I get it – my hobbies need time rather than money and it pays enough to cover the bills.

Sadly I won’t find out til after christmas. But handing in my notice would be a good way to start the new year.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Little Christmas present to myself. Step 1 of Action Plan: 2015’ is closed to new replies.