Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Line of white lights in sky
  • mildred

Just out with dog & watched a line of tiny equally spaced lights pass overhead (I’m just north Of Nottingham). They were passing West to East & travelling fairly quickly.

They looked like satellites (I.e. tiny white dot very high up without navigation lights).

There must’ve been up to 70 of them all equally spaced until the last few, which were a little bunched up.

Has anyone any idea what they are?

A quick google shows it happened over Manchester last night.

disben

That is Starlink

Elon Musks latest visible venture…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Not aliens then ?

Its about time we were saved innit.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Not sure we’re worth saving.

CountZero

Could also have been a string of fire balloons, but Starlink is the most likely explanation. I know a lot of astronomers are getting really pissy about them.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

It’s going to get a lot worse, Amazon planning their own system, I imagine others will also enter the market.

Say good bye to the recognisable constellations

peterno51

Watch here…

Blinking lights

kentishman
    Free Member

Just read that starlink page. I thought there was a problem with too much junk in orbit already. So is putting 42000 satellites up that wise?

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Of course it’s not wise but that won’t stop Elon or the alien headed one called Jeff – because they’re egomaniacal tech bro’s who think they can solve the worlds ills – and they have an equally deranged tech bro following.

I once had a lot of fun killing the mood at a party when I deeply offended a bunch of software engineers by proclaiming that Elon was a **** and only one rung higher on the trustworthiness ladder than Elizabeth Holmes of Theranos.

The high and mighty Elon is apparently doing us all a favour by saving us from ourselves and we should all repent our sins and give ourselves to him and a cause higher than ourselves – SpaceX.

piemonster

Well, there’s goes the night sky…

slowoldman

Also puts me in mind of this years Royal Institution Lectures with some guy evangelising about delivery drones and and autonomous personal transport drones like it’s a good thing.

mildred

Elon Musk depresses me

slowoldman

My prediction for 2020 is it’s the year where things turn to shit for Musk.

athgray
    Free Member

My prediction for 2020 is it’s the year where things turn to shit for Musk.

Like getting shot at through the ‘bullet proof’ glass of a cybertruck.

kayak23

If you just walked outside from the kitchen it’s probably just your halogen spotlights ghosting in your vision.

P20

We spotted them yesterday about 1720 over Ambleside. Bit bizarre to watch

Del

I once had a lot of fun killing the mood at a party

Well, that’s one kind of ‘fun’ I suppose. I don’t agree with everything musk does – he’s far from a saint, but heaven forbid somone should have some vision and the wherewithal to go for it.

mogrim

heaven forbid somone should have some vision and the wherewithal to go for it.

SpaceX is quite impressive, particularly the rockets that can land… but the rest of it? Tesla, meh. And the reaction to his latest brainwave of earthquake-proof tunnels was pretty funny: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1210774027054145536

Cougar

Just seen them.

Looked on the tracker and they were like a minute away, hopped outside for a look. They’re moving at quite a lick, aren’t they? Damndest thing, if I’d not known what they were I’d have thought aliens were invading.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Well, that’s one kind of ‘fun’ I suppose. I don’t agree with everything musk does – he’s far from a saint, but heaven forbid somone should have some vision and the wherewithal to go for it.

So did Elizabeth Holmes.

He’s a tech bro who would rather he paid less tax because he thinks that he and only he is capable of saving the planet, not the government through democratic means.

Hasan Minaj did a good take down of Silicon Valley philanthropists on his show the Patriot Act – I highly recommend watching it.

fossy

Caught a glimpse last night as they were coming up from the horizon – weren’t very bright due to light polution, and I hit cloud as they were getting to full height.

Del

Holmes has been outed as a fraud. It’s one thing taking investor’s money, and saying ‘we’re going to build a machine that can do x’, then when asked ‘does it do it?’, saying yes, and covering up the fact that it really does not. It’s an entirely different thing saying ‘we’re going to build reusable spacecraft for a lot less than the established providers’ and palpably doing so.
    They both come from the tech sector I suppose. Sure, he’s made mistakes, and isn’t necessarily a likeable character, but you can’t deny he’s had an awful lot of success.

mildred

Damndest thing, if I’d not known what they were I’d have thought aliens were invading.

Despite all my extensive research of watching sci-fi films (particularly Star Wars in order), and realising that an alien invasion spelled certain death to the planet and all inhabitants, I was disappointed to learn it was Elon Musk.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Musk and the rest are all after the biggest prise. Monopoly supply of surveillance/technology services to governments/government departments and publicly subsidised/sanctioned transport solutions.

They want to get in first for the big money out of the biggest pockets.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Line of white lights in sky’ is closed to new replies.