Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Limp mode, no breakdown cover and 125 miles from home
  • DickBarton

Made it to Ballinluig so far…was behind a tractor for a chunk which helped my guilt at slowing traffic!

matt_outandabout

#PrayforDick

Oh. Wait.
    errm.
    Ahem.
    😟

onehundredthidiot

Erm, do I now have to send you the contact details of my S&M WhatsApp group?

a11y

The A9, earlier this afternoon just south of Ballinluig…

KSmi_Dunkeld_A9-Traffic-Chaos-4_53833382-k6meckne-scaled-e1698333356240

matt_outandabout

😆

mick_r

That age engine might be the 8 valve not 16 valve which allegedly you don’t see the same regularity of turbo problems as the older 16v. We have / have had a number of those engines (8v and 16v) to decent mileages in the household and touch wood no turbo problems. Regular changes of the correct oil is also meant to reduce issues. We just had a 112k mile slightly leaky sump off for re-sealing and it was spotless around the oil pickup.

We’ve had two motorway breakdowns over the years (different vehicles but that engine) which were fuel pressure related. One was the pressure rail sensor (£30 for an original part). The other was a tiny hole rubbed in a plastic fuel pipe allowing it to suck air bubbles in. That is an easy check – squeeze the priming bulb a few times and you’ll hear the gurgle of fuel and then it goes hard. With the leaky pipe you could hear it suckling air through the tiny hole.

But unusual fan behaviour could suggest something else – you really need someone to diagnose the fault codes. But as the second one above – sometimes the sensor is telling the truth so it needs diagnosing rather than just swapping parts randomly.

DickBarton

Made it back and car now at garage… thankfully they waited until I’d left before rubbing their hands.

Will find out tomorrow how grim it is…however, Perth roundabout was a mild panic as although the car moved, it didn’t move quickly…however, made it round. Got to Keir roundabout and went through Bridge of Allan and town…was a much more relaxing drive when I could only do 30mph as a maximum.

If anyone was on the A9 southbound from 11.30 until 16.00, then I’m very sorry for holding you up!

Away overnight for a bike ride today at Badaguish and then Laggan and other than lying on the bed in the place, none of the rest of the plan happened! Serves me right for taking a day off work.

CountZero

Having said that, two cars that did exactly what you describe would reset if switched off and then restarted… VAG group, not Peugeot.

My old Octavia used to do it, I quickly learned that keeping the revs up, pressing the clutch in, turning the engine off, waiting a couple of seconds then turning it back on getting the revs back up and gently letting the clutch back in meant I kept driving it for a few years until I gave it away. Turbo dying, apparently, it did have 160,000 on it, and had never been serviced… 🤷🏼

RustyNissanPrairie

^thats the variable geometry vanes of the turbo sticking, Mrmuscle oven cleaner fixed it. My PD130 used to do it.

DickBarton

Garage has just called…fuel injector has failed, so only using 3 which is why it was in limp mode…getting it replaced at £650…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Garage has just called…fuel injector has failed, so only using 3 which is why it was in limp mode…getting it replaced at £650…

I wouldnt look at the cost of fuel injectors, must be some hours of labour cost

fathomer

The AA replaced an injector (may not have been fuel) at the roadside in my 64 plate Partner Tepee last year for £408, so hope you’re not being ripped off!

davespike1981

My tepee lost a injector, RAC could have replace the ones on the front of the engine at the side of the road, the back side however involved rocking the engine forward so was a garage job

matt_outandabout

£650…

Seems rather high. Unless it is buried behind half the engine…

Olly
    Free Member

no breakdown cover

Yeah, but you can ring them and get cover. price might be more, but still less than having it and not using it for the preceeding however many years?

Else

Cycle the ignition a few times. Some ECUs take 2 or 3 ignition cycles before they self clear some codes. My transporter was limping cause of a stuffed turbo, but as long as you could pull over and cycle the ignition twice, it always went away (until you overpressured the turbo, the wastegate was stuck shut).

Then mobile mechanic? plenty of those around

Then quotes to join the RAC, vs quotes for private recovery

Poopscoop

@DickBarton

Nothing to add, just want to say I hope you get it sorted/get home ok.

Been in a similar situation once and it’s ****.

robertajobb

My Zafira 1.9 Tdi (Fiat engine I believe) would do it often – would ring fine then suddenly when you were asking for a bit of power (not just flat out) it would go into half-power mode and a disco light show take place on the dash.  Power would return after a Control-Alt-Delete of stopping and locking the car for a few mins.  And would sometimes recover after 10 or 15 mins.

£12 OBD reader would allow reset and go too.  I eventually had one plugged in permanently.

Total bag of shiite car as far as the engine was concerned.  Eventually the repair costs were too high and I got rid.

kcr
    Free Member

DickBarton

They had to remove a fair chunk to get it replaced so sounds like it was one of the rear ones.

Thanks @Poopscoop – was ‘ok’ on the dual carriageway sections but not good on the single lane stuff…I thankfully got behind a tractor just after Dalwhinnie down to Pitlochry so the delay wasn’t me for that bit.

Legs and shoulders are nipping today as I hadn’t realised how stressed I was driving back down the road!

Fixed now and given the queue of cars they had to be worked on, I’m guessing I skipped the queue (I’m a regular at the garage for car servicing), so not complaining about the price.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.