Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Lightning cables
  • ratherbeintobago

Where’s the best place to get Lightning cables from? Reluctant to pay Apple prices but am I best just sucking it up?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Lots of negative reviews on the Apple Store for their own brand cables, so not sure they’re worth the premium.

ratherbeintobago

Only snag is that I had a number of third party dock cables fail :-/ and even then, none of the non-Apple lighting cables are all that cheap.

geoffj
    Three_Fish
    Free Member

I tried a few cheap cables (lightning and iP 4) from eBay – between £2 and £7 – and they all failed in one way or another. Cheaper ones usually fail from the plug falling apart, pricier ones from cable collapse. It started to feel like false economy, so I’m currently using an Apple lightning cable – four months old and doing fine.

I should add that if it were only home use, the cheaper cables would probably be perfectly adequate. It’s in the car, when it gets dragged around a bit, where the premium cable seems like the better bet. Other people’s experience may differ entirely.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Just make sure you specifically ask if its ios 7 compatible, then you can return it if it isnt.

simon_g

Belkin are cheaper (but not by a lot) than Apple’s cables and seem better made. I’ve been through a few cheap ones in the car, the Belkin one is lasting nicely.

Cheap ones aren’t really worth it – avoid ebay and amazon marketplace sellers too, lots of fake Belkin and others out there. If it’s suspiciously cheap, then it’s almost certainly fake.

ratherbeintobago

Cheap ones aren’t really worth it – avoid ebay and amazon marketplace sellers too, lots of fake Belkin and others out there. If it’s suspiciously cheap, then it’s almost certainly fake.

Aye, learnt this one the hard way with an eBay’d Macbook battery (that fortunately we got refunded).

How much bigger is the Belkin Lightning plug? Feel I should put my money their way for sponsoring Rabobank, but the issue is whether the plug will fit through my phone case…

Jamie
    Free Member

Get one of the Amazon Basic cables. Well built, iOS certified, and if they go bang, then Amazon have an excellent returns/replacement system.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Lightning cables’ is closed to new replies.