Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Apple Lighting Cables – are there any decent ones made!…
  • the-muffin-man

…as all the ones I have appear to be total shite!

They work for a bit then just fail for no apparent reason (even ‘genuine’ Apple ones).

Does anyone have any links to quality cables they have bought in the past?

Cheers

dh
    Free Member

Do apple not replaced them for free?

I bought some off eBay, utter shite tbh

davedodd
    Free Member

Apparently IOS7 can detect a non Apple cable and doesn’t recognise it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    12fifty
    Free Member

Oh 1984…the irony.

johndoh
    Free Member

Apart from a very early one I bought, the issue doesn’t seem to arise now – the third-party manufacturers have got around any security Apple tried to enforce it seems.

geoffj

I use the flat ribbon ones like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-8-Pin-8Pin-Data-Transfer-Charging-Flat-Cable-For-iPhone-5-iPod-iPad-3-4-Mini-/231024835153

They are a lot better than the thin white ones.

CountZero

I’ve got a couple of these: http://www.easterncollective.com/product/lighting-zombie-collective-cable/
    Really beautifully made, proper old-school valve radio lead, woven cover, really solidly made.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Lighting cables?

drlex
    Free Member

Whilst I’m loving CZ’s artisanal offerings, my colleague swears by Monoprice’s iPhone cables, rather than at them.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I have the Apple conversion cable

The cable is a lot thicker and seems less fragile. Then you just connect it to one of the original leads.

Those Collective ones look great though.

ratherbeintobago

Anyone use the Belkin ones? How much bigger is the plug compared with the Apple cable?

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Matthewjb – can I pop that cable onto a iPod Dock for example and will it charge and play audio through an iPhone 5?

CountZero

Those Collective ones look great though.

They’re rather lovely, very retro, but they feel like they’ll last for years, very well made.

samuri
    Free Member

As above. Lighting cables?

Do you mean ‘iPhone cables’?

Jamie
    Free Member

Lightning cable, shurely?

matthewjb
    Free Member

santacruzsi – Member
    Matthewjb – can I pop that cable onto a iPod Dock for example and will it charge and play audio through an iPhone 5?

I would think so. I use mine to connect my 5 to the car which ends in the old Apple connecter.

rs
    Free Member

piece of advice that may or may not help, if your cables appear to be a bit dodgy, try digging fluff out of the iPhone with a paperclip, solved my dodgy cable connection, there was a surprising amount of fluff in there.

grantway
    Free Member

Same thing happened to our daughters cable
    Apple asked us to bring in the phone and cable and replaced the actual cable Free of charge.

Watty

AmazonBasics USB to lightning. Not the cheapest, but very we’ll made.
    Cable

paulosoxo
    Free Member

The flat ones are they only ones I’ve bought that have lasted. I had a braided one, but the end fell off.

Edit: I don’t know who made the braided cable I had, all I know is that it was cheap.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Definitely a quality control issue for Apple, I have 5 year old “original” style cables still in daily use.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

kensington cables are much tougher and cheaper too!

somafunk

piece of advice that may or may not help, if your cables appear to be a bit dodgy, try digging fluff out of the iPhone with a paperclip, solved my dodgy cable connection, there was a surprising amount of fluff in there.

Be careful using a paperclip as you may short out across the connections, use a fine bristled paint brush, preferably a clean one 😉 and get the hoover out and give the dock connecter area a sook with that useless thin attachment you use for getting between the car seats.

samuri
    Free Member

I’m glad I went to Android. Any one who continues to purchase products from a company who brands their charging cables needs to question their own ethical fibre. Yes.

geoffj

samuri – Member
    I’m glad I went to Android. Any one who continues to purchase products from a company who brands their charging cables needs to question their own ethical fibre. Yes.
    POSTED 9 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

The lightning cable is just a newer version. It makes sense to give it a name rather than calling it the new iphone/iPad cable. A bit like mini and micro USB names. The apple ones are shit though 👿

CountZero

samuri – Member

So which company would that be, exactly? Considering Android is only a free operating system. The connecting cable is entirely dependent on whichever one of however many companies mad your specific phone, and which is quite likely to be incompatible with some othe ‘Android’ phone.
    And samurai, wtf have ethics got to do with it?

ratherbeintobago

The connecting cable is entirely dependent on whichever one of however many companies mad your specific phone, and which is quite likely to be incompatible with some othe ‘Android’ phone.

There is an EU reg that all phones are meant to charge via micro USB, hence this

samuri
    Free Member

chill Count, it’s a piss take.

Jamie
    Free Member

chill Count, it’s a piss take.

Balls to that. You, Sir, are worse than Hitler.

samuri
    Free Member

At least Hitler knew where branding was important and where it became blatant, narcissistic masturbation.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

eh? :-/

Jamie
    Free Member

At least Hitler knew where branding was important and where it became blatant, narcissistic masturbation.

Someone’s been at the eggnog.

househusband
    Free Member

I’ve been here for ten years or so but I think that this really shows Singletrackworld forum at its finest in the time I’ve known it… big words and hissyfits over a bloody cable?!

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ve been here for ten years or so but I think that this really shows Singletrackworld forum at its finest in the time I’ve known it… big words and hissyfits over a bloody cable?!

What you got against cables, yer bloody cablist.

Get back to Russia!

samuri
    Free Member

Does it come across as hissyfits?

You’re right, stw at its finest.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Buy 5 off ebay for £3.99, if they last 3 months each thats job done comparitive to the lifespan of an OEM cable.

somafunk

I ordered two of those flat ribbon cables as posted by geoffj on the previous page as i need to keep spares at a mates house and at work. They’re pretty guff quality to be honest, one of the cables has a loose lightning connecter in the plastic plug so i’m not even trying it, the other cable flashes up a warning on my iPhone 5s and retina iPad mini which states the following “This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iPhone“, it also seems to take an absolute age to transfer any music to the phone, I tried the original apple cable and i tried the cheapy black cable and the black cable is noticeably slower at music/data transfers with the same playlist – whether or not this is a compatibility issue or a deliberate apple certification ploy i dunno?.

And one final thing, the black cheapy cable is not compatible when using the Apple 5s leather case, so i’ve just ordered two of the more expensive certified Belkin cables.

Buy cheap….buy twice.

geoffj

somafunk – sorry about that. The ones I’ve had have been great. Maybe they changed supplier 😳

Jamie
    Free Member

And one final thing, the black cheapy cable is not compatible when using the Apple 5s leather case, so i’ve just ordered two of the more expensive certified Belkin cables.

Make sure you get the Belkin ones direct from Amazon etc. Lot of fakes floating about on eBay and some resellers on Amazon.

….I still don’t know why people don’t use the Amazon Basic cables. Guaranteed legit, and Amazon will swap them if they stop working.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Slight hijack – playing my ipad (3) on tv, I tried one of the cheapy hdmi to apple connector, but it doesn’t work, do I have to shell out for the pukka apple one?.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Apple Lighting Cables – are there any decent ones made!…’ is closed to new replies.