Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Light Winter Road Frameset: Kinesis 4S or what??
  • dickie
    Free Member

Is there any other alternatives worth considering other than the Kinesis 4S frameset that’s light, & takes full mudguards with 25mm tyres. Around a similar price.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Quite a few threads on this over the past few years. Doesn’t seem to be a huge range of decent options at that sort of price point. Shame a CAAD8 can’t be had as a frameset. Sabbath Ti frames often recommended but a bit more costly. Kinesis always seems to do ok though.

Some people will recommend any old second hand frame, but winter miles can be grim enough without having to do it on a crap bike.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Oh and I think there’s a new 4S frame coming soon which may be worth the wait. There’s a few photos out there if you google it. Discs and internal routing available if that’s your thing. Bit of a price hike though to 599.

john_l
    Free Member

Disc 4S will be really nice I reckon. There’s also Mason Cycles.

brassneck

Haven’t had a 4S but the Kinesis frames I’ve had / have were / are excellent.
    Would most likely be where I’d look.

brassneck

Bowman Layhams would be worth a look too, when its ready….

mrblobby
    Free Member

Bowman Layhams would be worth a look too, when its ready….

Should be good if their other frames are anything to go by. Didn’t mention it as there’s not even a proper photo on the web site yet and not available till 2016. They need to hurry up and get the Foots Cray out first as I think I might need one!

MrSmith
    Free Member

Bowman Pilgrims

mrblobby
    Free Member

Bowman Pilgrims

Not really what it’s designed for though. Don’t think it even has mounts for guards. Assumes the OP is looking for discs too.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Not really what it’s designed for though. Don’t think it even has mounts for guards. Assumes the OP is looking for discs too.

As befits a bike suits year round use on all terrains and all weathers; full cable-outer runs internally through the frame. Fixed in place with our Modular Cable Routing this allows Di2 and EPS fitment thanks to alternative inserts supplied with the frame; and all whilst maintaining clean lines. Post Mount disc brakes allow for 140mm rotors without adapters but clearance is there for 160mm rotors front and rear. Thanks to our replaceable and removable 3D printed mudguard mountings, full mudguards can be fitted alongside the discs, should the ultimate winter bike be in your dreams.

yes i assumed disks for a winter bike. (they are not essential)

brooess
    Free Member

My Condor Fratello is a keeper. £150 more than the Kinesis. Steel frame and carbon fork. Not lightweight but it’s a winter bike so not sure that matters. Very smooth and stable ride, I almost look forward to winter so I can ride it again 🙂

I love the names of the Bowman bikes, very evocative as those are the roads I ride every weekend… they need a bike called the Anerley too 🙂

Gutterball
    Free Member

It’s expensive enough that I’ve discounted it, but I really like the look off the De Rosa Milanino trainer.

I’ll have most of a groupset spare in a few weeks and I’m seriously thinking of getting an Equilibrium frameset in the autumn.

mrblobby
    Free Member

should the ultimate winter bike

Nice. Lovely looking bike too. Why bother making the Layhams then I wonder?

dragon
    Free Member

Something from Ribble, not exciting I know but they seem the stock frames on many a winter club run.

cynic-al
    Free Member

London Road FT(disc)W!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Light Winter Road Frameset: Kinesis 4S or what??’ is closed to new replies.