Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Light weight nylon pedals – alternative to DMR V6?
  • tealeith
    Free Member

I’m on my 2nd set of DMR V6 Nylon pedals and just wondered if anyone knows of an alternative to these extremely light-weight “plastic” pedals” I’ve found them great in respect that they are really light (even compared to the most expensive titanium axled, magnesium bodied £100+ jobbies) and pretty tough too. They are mega cheap at £15 a pair but are only lasting about 6 months, if that. The main body, platform, and even the pins themselves are still absolutely fine after this period. The bearings are just shot after 4-5 months unfortunately, lots of dry squeaky sounds etc. – this is presumably where they are saving the money.

I would gladly pay double the price for them if they put some sealed bearings in, unfortunately the ones on these don’t appear to be serviceable or to even be able to squirt in some grease.

Does anyone know of any alternatives that are nylon based? It’s the incredible lightness of them that I like (without spending £100+).

These are the DMR ones I currently have :
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dmr-v6-flat-pedal/rp-prod132636

nigew
    Free Member

I’ve being using a pair of these fron Carbon Cycles for the last 8months and they still feel fine.

momo

Superstar El-Plastique, website says that they use sealed bearings. I’ve had a look at some when I’ve been in there before, seemed alright to me.

Think Nukeproof do some very similar ones too.

martinhutch

Nukeproof Electron Evo?

Pretty close in terms of weight, you can have them apart for cleaning, decent wide platform – almost too wide for my dainty feet.

canopy
    Free Member

ok here goes!

I had a set of tioga surefoot slim. these are < £20 a set. nylon without metal pins (built in nylon pins). they were great for the summer but some of the pins wore down and they started to grind a little so i looked for alternatives. (would have fixed the grinding issue, but worn non replaceable pins meant they were already on the out..)

I was going to buy nukeproof electrons which are resin pedals with metal pins about £35. however I ended up stumping up an extra tenner for Race Face Chester, purely because there is lots of race face kit on my bike already. I don’t know about the nukeporoof ones, but the race face ones use ‘proper’ sealed bearings and parts for a full rebuild kit from the axle up is available. both nukeproof ones and race face ones are available in a varitey of colours, and one plus point is (can’t confirm) I read the nukeproof’s come with spare pins, my race face ones didn’t.

Only had one ride with em, but they seem great!

ahwiles
    Free Member

…unfortunately … these don’t appear to be serviceable or to even be able to squirt in some grease

if the body is plastic, drill a hole, squirt in some grease with a grease-gun, force in a grub screw.

easy.

tealeith
    Free Member

I like the drill a hole idea ahwiles, I may give that a go with the current set to eek out some more life and look to buy some of the others suggested above for next time.

I’m liking the look of the Electrons, especially since they do a bright green colour which will match my Whyte T-129 SCR perfectly.

kayak23

I’ve used the Superstar El Plastique for over a year now. No issues, great pedal, grippy enough but not crazy grippy.
    Just fitted some Raceface Chester on the new bike and rate them high.
    Better grip due to more metal pins than the Superstar, bigger platform, light.
    Great pedal.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I’ve got the Chester also. Great pedal, nice and light.

canopy
    Free Member

you guys had to replace pins at all? these are first pedals that need pins – don’t know whether to get some pins in advance?

iainc

+1 on the Superstar El Pastique ones – my kids both use them and they have taken a load of abuse (the pedals, not the kids 🙂 )

mildbore

I’ve been using the nuke proof ones for a couple of years on my bike without any problems, previously had a pair on another bike for a while before I sold it, again without any problems. Recommended

Northwind

I’ve got the new nukeproofs, they’re a lot grippier than the old electron, basically it’s a normal pedal that just happens to be made out of plastic, no mucking about. Apparently the outside pins break off though so, guess we’ll see.

cubist
    Free Member

I’ve got Nukeproof Horizons. They are still spinning fine and have been used come rain or shine since March this year. However a few good rock strikes have smashed out some pins and cracked the plastic on one corner.

tealeith
    Free Member

Cheers again, all. Everyone seems to love their own pedals – looks like I can’t massively go wrong. I like the idea of fit and forget with something as utility as a pedal. Those Raceface do look very nice, just need to decide whether I spend the extra tenner or not.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Light weight nylon pedals – alternative to DMR V6?’ is closed to new replies.